Question

5.1 Surround Clean Slate Detatched Office/Gym

• 1 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi - I have a detatched 10x12 unit that I’m converting to a gym/office/entertainment room.  I’m down to the studs and have the opportunity to wire without hassle.    I’d like to set this up to be 5.1 and/or 2 stereo channels with a base.  Here’s what I’m thinking for the products needed: 

4K UHD TV

Sonos Arc soundbar - HDMI arc connected from TV to Arc

2 Ceiling Speakers - connected to Sonos Amp

Base

What is the optimal setup for 5.1 sound?  HDMI Arc from TV to Arc.  2 Ceiling speakers connect to amp to be rear speakers.   Base connected via wireless.  Would this work?  I read that this set up for 5.1 might give me a delay in the rear speakers.  

If I wanted to also set this up to play music / DJ and have the arc and speakers be 2 stereo outputs, would this also work?

Thanks for your advice,

Jeff

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @marqy, thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community.

I would like to clarify, you’re planning on getting a Sonos Arc, Sonos Amp, and a Sonos Sub for the 5.1 Home Theater setup?

If so, yes it can work as a Home Theater surround system and a Stereo system.

Once everything is set up, you can switch the surround speaker settings in the Sonos app for Ambient and Full audio play.

For more details please refer to this article for Surround settings.

Take note, the placement of the Sonos Amp is also needed some consideration.

If you plan to place it with the Arc and Sub in the same room it can go wireless. The Sonos Amp and Sonos Sub will communicate with the Sonos Arc through the Arc’s wireless signal.

If not in the same room, I would suggest connecting the Sonos Arc and Sonos Amp with Ethernet cables to your network system.

This is so that the Arc and Amp have a way to coordinate. 

Relevant articles here to help you set up.

Set up your Sonos Amp

Set up your Sonos Arc

Set up your Sonos Sub

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

ok - seems like it’s pretty straight forward.   Yes it’s a clean slate and I’m planning out the optimal set up.  So thinking about getting the arc, ceiling speakers, base, and amp.    From your post and what I understand, I will be able to set up 5.1 surround for watching a movie form the TV and also use all the speakers if I just want to listen to music.  Appreciate the help!

Jeff

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @marqy, you’re welcome.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

The community is here to help.