Question

4G router

• 25 June 2020
  • 2 replies

I have just discovered that O2 4G is almost 10 times quicker than my standard broadband. If I purchase a 4G router (TP Link Archer MR200 was the one I’d seen) can I then connect my Sonos and stream music. The main Sonos site seems to suggest no but various threads here give hope that it’s possible. 

To assist with answers I have a Playbase, 2 x Play 1 and a Play 3. The intention would be to use an Ethernet connection between router and Playbase with the rest wireless. 

Here’s hoping!

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Eyeball82, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Regarding your concern about O2 4G, I’d like to ask some things to further check on the issue. what is the exact model number of the device you have for the O2 4g, because if we are talking about 4G Mobile data connections, It is not a Sonos recommended setup. You may check on this link for more information on Sonos System Requirements.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Badge

HOLA EyeBall82

I have exactly the same router, in a rural area, with vodafone, the coverage is 4g, and I have connected a beam and a sub.
the only thing is that the connection sometimes goes when I want to use the wifi with a computer, I have put a bridge, and I don't know if it solves everything.
I don't really know if it's active with a sonos net. maybe it was, for the bridge, and its obsolete.
The answer that I would tell you is that if itworks, with the app, I got to see the connection the first time and it was very easy to configure, as with all of sonos, the house is not very big and there is good coverage in the area, I use iTunes, spotify and tidal, think always it is a 4g, but when it stabilizes, the signal has not been cut off.
I hope I've helped
saludos;