Answered

3 Sonos Play 3s with a Sonos 1 with Alexa - Can I?

• 17 June 2018
  • 5 replies

I currently own an Amazon Echo and a Sonos Play 3. I am looking to add two more Sonos Play 3s and replace the Echo with a Sonos 1 w/Alexa. I've read a lot about the Sonos 1 and am concerned that it's not quite as functional as some want. Can I do what I'm proposing and have the entire system run through the Sonos 1 through Alexa? Thanks for your responses. Even though I have a Play 3, I'm still pretty new to Sonos so I appreciate your help!
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 June 2018, 23:08

There are certain things that an Echo can do that a Sonos One can't. For instance, if I remember correctly, the Echo has a zigbee antenna in it, and the Sonos One doesn't. There are other things, like "Drop In", which Amazon reserves for their own devices.

But generally speaking, a Sonos One will do 90% of what an Echo does. What I'd probably do is hold on to the Echo and get the Sonos One, and do some testing, before selling the Echo. In my home, I have both Sonos a Sonos One and 4 Echoes of various types. They coexist quite well.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
A One can do many of the things an Echo can, but not all of them. Why not get a One and keep the Echo? Then you can try everything out before dumping the echo.
That is correct, you can not sync Echo and Sonos speakers.
There are certain things that an Echo can do that a Sonos One can't. For instance, if I remember correctly, the Echo has a zigbee antenna in it, and the Sonos One doesn't. There are other things, like "Drop In", which Amazon reserves for their own devices.

But generally speaking, a Sonos One will do 90% of what an Echo does. What I'd probably do is hold on to the Echo and get the Sonos One, and do some testing, before selling the Echo. In my home, I have both Sonos a Sonos One and 4 Echoes of various types. They coexist quite well.
I'm under the impression that it's not possible to sync the Echo and Sonos speakers to play at the same time. Incorrect?
That may make it worth it to sell the Echo and buy the Sonos 1. And the Sonos 1 can then control/play music to Play 3s, correct?