Answered

2 zones per 1 ConnectAMP

• 12 April 2017
  • 8 replies

I have a house that has 8 ohm speakers prewired in parallel in 6 zones. Being wired in parallel converts the load to 4 ohm (I could change to series wiring for 16 Ohms). I would like to connect 2 zones per amp. Will the ConnectAMP function with this load? I am only looking to use the system as background music, not critical listening.

I have looked at this page: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/269

However, I just want to be sure:
1. That each speaker can be 8 Ohms

2. That the actual wiring can be AMP==> ZONE1: Speaker 1 parallel to ==> Speaker 2. and AMP ==> ZONE2:Speaker 3 parallel to ==> Speaker 4.

3. I have keypad locations with cat6 wiring. Any recommendations? I was thinking a cheap tablet wall mounted with POE.

Thank you for your help.
icon

Best answer by jgatie 12 April 2017, 16:48

it doesn't have to come all the way back, it can be spliced in. However, If by " pass though" you mean wiring the negative of one to the positive of another, that is serial, not parallel.

____________________________________________________________________________________

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Each speaker has to be 8 Ohms.

The wiring should be like this picture:

With the top two speakers being one "zone" and the bottom two the other.
Thank you for the reply. So the wire to each speaker has to come all the way to the amp? It can't pass through the first speaker?
More like this.

it doesn't have to come all the way back, it can be spliced in. However, If by " pass though" you mean wiring the negative of one to the positive of another, that is serial, not parallel.

____________________________________________________________________________________

No, I meant black to black and red to red. That helps a lot. Thank you.

Any recommendations for keypads?

Not a big fan of wall mounted controls, but if you are looking for a cheap tablet to mount on the wall, the Kindle Fires are about the best bargain. You can get a 7" for under $50, and you have Amazon's warranty to back it up. You can also pin the Sonos app to the screen so it is the only app showing. The only downside is if you want to run a beta release, the Amazon tablets (like iOS devices) are not included in beta.

Note, the 7" models are now on sale for $39.99.

Not a big fan of wall mounted controls, but if you are looking for a cheap tablet to mount on the wall, the Kindle Fires are about the best bargain. You can get a 7" for under $50, and you have Amazon's warranty to back it up. You can also pin the Sonos app to the screen so it is the only app showing. The only downside is if you want to run a beta release, the Amazon tablets (like iOS devices) are not included in beta.

Note, the 7" models are now on sale for $39.99.

Thank you, so much for all the information. That definitely helps me with my decision.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great answers jgatie! Let us know if you have any questions, Bigmixer!