2.4ghz + 5.1ghz routers with different passwords for each band.

If your like me and most people who have a router that can transmit 2.4ghz + 5.1ghz broadcasts for connecting various devices like these sonos wifi speakers, which i have a few now. I was having problems connecting on my 2.4ghz network as this is what sonos "set up" says to use. it would just sit for a while and then say "Try Again". My 2.4ghz + 5ghz have similar names (my network + my network 5ghz) After switching to my 5ghz network it would immediately say connecting but would fail and say "Try Again". I have a different password for each ghz band, so what i did was change my 5ghz network to the same password as my 2.4ghz network. It seemed that in the initial setup and connection it was using my 5ghz to connect ? so connect your phone to your 5g wifi network. (with ethernet cable attached do Alternate setup in app). I did also have to log into my router and at certain points in the set up (Hide Broadcast for 5ghz i think when i got to the wifi set up part...(switch to 2.4ghz) so many attempts i forget exactly what the process was. If this helps anyone who is having this type of setup issues...Good Luck. I love my Sonos system NOW that its up and running.

PS : Remember to change your 5ghz password back after your all done, so your other devices that were previously set up to use your 5ghz will work again.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +18
Hi, filmgaffer. Thanks for posting your findings. It should not have been this complicated, though I am delighted it's now working. Let us know if you need anything else.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings