Answered

2.1 Sound with Playbar+Sub+Play1's ??

• Contributor III
  • 4 replies
I'm thinking of getting my parents, who are hard of hearing, the following Sonos components: 1 Playbar + 2 Play 1's + Subwoofer. I'll be placing the 2 Play 1's at the back of the room close to where my parents sit, but instead of using them to produce the surround sound, I want those two speakers to play the exact same sound that the playbar is playing. Is that possible? Thank you in advance.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 February 2019, 04:18

Yes, and no. It's complicated.

Yes, you can set them up as two "rooms" in the Sonos software, and then group them, so you'll get the same data from the PLAYBAR out of the PLAY:1s. The issue is that due to the way the Sonos system is designed, there can be somewhere around a 70ms delay (or more) between the PLAYBAR and the other "room". This doesn't happen when they're set up as surround speakers, but then you only get the surround channels, and not the vocal channels that you want to be setting up.

View original

6 replies

Yes, and no. It's complicated.

Yes, you can set them up as two "rooms" in the Sonos software, and then group them, so you'll get the same data from the PLAYBAR out of the PLAY:1s. The issue is that due to the way the Sonos system is designed, there can be somewhere around a 70ms delay (or more) between the PLAYBAR and the other "room". This doesn't happen when they're set up as surround speakers, but then you only get the surround channels, and not the vocal channels that you want to be setting up.
wouldnt you just set your tv to stereo output then?
You could, but it wouldn't affect the delay process. That has to do with the fact that the second "room" is connected via the 2.4Ghz connection, rather than the bonded surround speakers that use the 5Ghz connection. It's a function of the way the software works, in order to synchronize all 2.4Ghz connected speakers.
However, this question comes up often enough to wonder if there's a business opportunity out there to create a specific solution for folks who suffer from hearing loss....the question is, is it a big enough opportunity for a company like Sonos to pay attention to. I honestly don't know, nor do I have access to data to estimate how many sales opportunities there would be.
Thank you Airgetlam. Well, it seems like it would be simple enough for Sonos to simply add a stereo mode for the surround speakers where they just play the main stereo sound instead of the surround sound.
Not as easy as you suggest. It would require a complete rewrite of the entire way that Sonos deals with music on their platform, and potentially cause a number of currently working speakers to stop functioning, something I suspect that they're loathe to do.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings