Sonos Roam will not power on

• 11 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Hello, 

I have a Sonos Roam that was purchased in April (Not used until December) that will no longer turn on. I have spent the last three days with chat giving me the runaround with different procedures on rebooting a resetting just to have them basically say “Sorry, you’re out of warrant” and would not send it any further for review. 

To those that have had this issue, was there any luck getting this turd to power on? I have thousands of dollars in other Sonos products that have been great, but this situation has put a bad taste in my mouth. The refusal to stand behind the product frustrates me. 

6 replies

What power adapter are you using, is it a PD power supply? Can you first post an image of the adapters power output spec?

What power adapter are you using, is it a PD power supply? Can you first post an image of the adapters power output spec?

This is one of many Ive tried, but this is what I currently have it plugged into.

Here are my own personal thoughts/suggestions to try to assist…

• USB Power Delivery (PD): is a specification which allows the load and power supply to negotiate for multiple standard power delivery levels. USB Power Delivery increases the power capability of USB to 100 W and is particularly useful when providing power to multiple devices.
  • USB Programmable Power Supply (PPS): is a supplemental specification to USB Power Delivery describing how the load and power supply communicate for incremental power delivery levels. This feature can be particularly useful for charging batteries.
  • A person might choose to use a USB Type-C connector, due to the sleek design, small size, and low cost, but it ‘may’ not conform to the USB Power Delivery standards. The probability of causing equipment damage with a non-conforming design will be low as long as the voltage of the non-conforming power supply is 5 V and the maximum load current specification is less than the 5 A rating of the connector. A significant risk of damaging the load will exist if a non-conforming power supply delivers an output voltage that is greater than the legacy USB voltage of 5 V

I’m thinking the charger might not be certified and might have caused the Roam some damage particularly as USB Type-C 1.2 has a maximum power of 15w, 5v and a maximum current of 3A

Anything over that voltage could cause damage, but let’s assume all is well at this stage.

Sonos recommend 5v x 2A and a power output of 10w

You might get away with that charger shown in your post, but it’s close to the max. power level and if the charger isn’t properly certified it might exceed the maximum, causing the Roam to error.

That’s my guess, at least …

So do you have another PD certified charger that may support 5v x 2A (10w) you could use?  If so, then maybe try these steps outlined below:

• Whist ‘off’ it’s charger (that’s important) with the device powered ‘on’- press and hold the rear power-button. The Roam may power itself ‘off’ after approx. 5-6 seconds, but do not let go the button, keep it pressed for about another 15+ seconds until you see the front top status LED (near Sonos logo) light-up and glow white and then place the Roam back on its USB-C charger (5V/2A (10W) PD power output minimum charge level) and leave it until it’s fully charged (check via the web interface) - when it’s reached 100% it should then be okay after that.🤞
  • Note you may need to repeat the above steps (off the charger) a couple of times to get it going.
  • This link may be helpful too if you can get the Roam going…It is possible to check the Roams battery via the web interface - goto this address using a web browser and see if all looks okay: http://[iP Address of Roam]:1400/status/batterystatus

Hope that assists.

After doing the power button reset - leave it in the charger for at least 30+ minutes before trying the reset again - as I say you may need to try it a few times to get it going.

Hope you can sort it. 👍

Hey Ken, 

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried these last night and no progress was made. I also used the wireless base and accessories that came with the Roam and was not able to power it on. Before it died, the wireless charging base was the main method of charging as I used it for work and would take it on an occasional camping trip. 

Going to just throw this on in the trash after 9 months of use. Pretty dissapointed and was not expecting Sonos to not stand behind their products. 

Hey Ken, 

Thanks for the suggestions! I tried these last night and no progress was made. I also used the wireless base and accessories that came with the Roam and was not able to power it on. Before it died, the wireless charging base was the main method of charging as I used it for work and would take it on an occasional camping trip. 

Going to just throw this on in the trash after 9 months of use. Pretty dissapointed and was not expecting Sonos to not stand behind their products. 

Okay, well it was worth a try - note with the Qi (wireless) charger base that the Roam charges at a much lesser rate - 5w (IIRC🤔?) so maybe just give it a few tries with the USB-C connection and press/hold the power button for 20+ seconds between each 30 minute charge - but otherwise it’s perhaps best sold for spares/repair on eBay or recycled etc.