Answered

Sonos Roam WiFi while travelling

• 30 April 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I’m enjoying using the Roam when travelling. Although the Bluetooth feature is convenient, when I finally get to my destination I want to connect the Roam to the wireless network that I set up in my hotel room. Otherwise it needs to be tethered to my phone. Do I have to do a factory reset in order to achieve this? It would be great if there could be a quick way to connect to networks while travelling.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 1 May 2021, 02:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Thanks for the help! The S2 app was telling me I wasn’t connected to WiFi even though I was. I restarted the phone which solved the issue, but the internet connection at the hotel keeps dropping, so my router keeps disconnecting form it.

I was able to connect the Roam to my phone hotspot by typing in SSID manually and then quickly switching to settings to turn on the hotspot. The issue now is that the S2 app can’t control the Roam because the phone isn’t connected to the hotspot, it is the hotspot.

It would be great if the Roam could connect to the phone’s hotspot and the S2 app could still see it and control it.

Unfortunately you need two mobile devices for this type of situation… as the Sonos controller App cannot be on the same device that’s broadcasting the WiFi Hotspot. I sometimes use a separate MiFi device for this type of setup (see attached), but please note using a mobile Hotspot is not a setup that Sonos officially support. 

Thanks for the help! The S2 app was telling me I wasn’t connected to WiFi even though I was. I restarted the phone which solved the issue, but the internet connection at the hotel keeps dropping, so my router keeps disconnecting form it.

I was able to connect the Roam to my phone hotspot by typing in SSID manually and then quickly switching to settings to turn on the hotspot. The issue now is that the S2 app can’t control the Roam because the phone isn’t connected to the hotspot, it is the hotspot.

It would be great if the Roam could connect to the phone’s hotspot and the S2 app could still see it and control it.

Thanks for the reply. I do have a travel router with me.

The system option in settings is greyed out, I guess because I’m not on my home wifi network with my Sonos products. Is this something I need to set up before I leave home?

You are probably best to set it up at the destination with the mobile (S2 controller) device already connected to the new WiFi network. If you encounter any issues, you can always factory reset the Roam to do the setup with your existing controller App and when you later return home, the device will connect back to your Home setup, as long as you don’t delete the Home WiFi credentials.

Thanks for the reply. I do have a travel router with me.

The system option in settings is greyed out, I guess because I’m not on my home wifi network with my Sonos products. Is this something I need to set up before I leave home?

Hi,

I’m enjoying using the Roam when travelling. Although the Bluetooth feature is convenient, when I finally get to my destination I want to connect the Roam to the wireless network that I set up in my hotel room. Otherwise it needs to be tethered to my phone. Do I have to do a factory reset in order to achieve this? It would be great if there could be a quick way to connect to networks while travelling.

It’s often best to take a travel router with you when travelling, as some hotel networks have ‘login pages’ to setup devices on their network access points and so it would be much easier to use your own access point.

That aside, the Roam can connect upto 16 different WiFi networks that are stored on the device and can be viewed in the Sonos App in ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’ - you can also add WiFi credentials (SSID/Password) via the "manage networks/update networks” option.