Answered

Sonos Roam - Stuck In Sleep Mode

Show first post

32 replies

Sounds more like a software “stuck” issue. I’m assuming you’ve done a full shut down, waited a couple of minutes, then powered it back up?

If you have other Sonos speakers, I’d recommend a  factory reset , but this will erase any data stored on it, including playlists, etc. 

Might actually be better to first call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Tried factory resets many times and still unstable. 

I tried many times to reboot and factory reset both option software pressing the back button, and pressing play button and later back button etc for a factory reset with and without  USBc power cord connected and disconnected, giving time in between. I compare everything to my working Sonos roam. working one you can feel the battery is warm when it is charging and Orange light goes out after connecting power cord. On non-working Sonos Roams orange light never goes out. Battery is stone cold.  I think issue is once both speakers depleted batteries (I left both in the garage while working and deplete overnight) it cannot restart the charge, either it needs some minimum charge for it to start charging like a software gate or there is a battery issue as it gets old and looses full charge can never reengage) . There is no way two Sonos Roams develop the same problem randomly. 

This weekend I am planning to test my 3rd and working Sonos Roam, currently it charges and works without problem but it is on a magnetic charger at all times; I shall deplete it and, this will mean more than likely it will reproduce  same fault and  I shall  end up with 3 x Bricks , but better now than later, than I have a good case against Sonos if I document this all and I do not want to live with the fear of battery depletion, these units are supposed to be mobile.

And yes I agree with above the fact that Sonos help is useless on this subject just following same protocol . they must known they have a problem, they are just running your round and round and tossing you a 30% discount coupon after 1 year warranty as per their script. I am now not going to return back my first Sonos Roan for 30%. 

Thanks for all the comments here. My Roam is also stuck in sleep mode. To be honest I haven’t used it much and mainly it has sat on the window sill on its magnetic charger, probably for about six months. I also have a Move that I carry around the house when I need a portable speaker so the Roam is more for when I’m travelling. Now I’m trying to get it working again and none of the solutions suggested seem to work.

• It isn’t charging on the magnetic base
  • With a USBC cable connected the LED is permanent orange
  • Holding the power button for 15+ seconds has no effect, regardless of whether on power or not.
  • It isn’t visible on my WiFI network so I can’t check the battery status through a browser (I can see the Move)

Just about to log a support call. Wish me luck!

Userlevel 2
Badge

@SteveGrr Sounds exactly like mine. It was declared dead 😵 

Be prepared to be told by Sonos to do things that you have done or will obviously not work (like hold the power button until you hear a tone or until the light comes on or off). 

If the product is out of warranty then I fear that you have a paperweight.

My conclusion is that I don’t leave my Roams on charge but periodically turn them on and charge them. Letting them go months with a flat battery seems problematic 

Andy 

My sonos roam is stuck in sleep mode, the app is alerting me to press any button - and even when I do it does not leave sleep mode.  It also will not respond to me holding the power button for 5+ seconds.

The device is stating that the battery is fully charged and the device is plugged in - however, when I unplug the Roam, I am unable to turn it on.

Is this a battery issue, or a true sleep issue?  I have owned the roam for less than a year.

Right here is the solution as at 12/03/2023

if everything you try fails then do this,

unplug from power source 

leave it alone until the light goes out (could take a few days)

once light is out pluck back into power source

after 15 mins push the button to power on……… your Roam is back.

your welcome

I have noticed that chargers will sometimes get into a mode where they won’t charge their ROAM. A simple reboot of the charger has worked around this. This has been the case with the SONOS wireless charger and 3rd party chargers.

There is a 3rd reset method for ROAM. Make sure that the ROAM has at least some charge, even if it does not seem to be responding. Remove ROAM from the charger and hold the power switch for about 15 seconds. This reboots a small auxiliary processor involved in power management. Now, reconnect the charger and charge to full capacity. This is not a Factory Reset.

My sonos roam is stuck in sleep mode, the app is alerting me to press any button - and even when I do it does not leave sleep mode.  It also will not respond to me holding the power button for 5+ seconds.

The device is stating that the battery is fully charged and the device is plugged in - however, when I unplug the Roam, I am unable to turn it on.

Is this a battery issue, or a true sleep issue?  I have owned the roam for less than a year.

I have just been on the phone to Sonos support for 45 minutes. Mine was stuck in sleep mode.

Resolution

————

* Check the plug output is 5 volts. It states it on the underside of the plug. 

* Ensure the charger is unplugged and hold the power button for 12-15 seconds. The battery light should start to flash orange. 

* Then plug it in. Await it to boot up.
* Submit diagnostics and call them to ensure battery is fully functioning. 

They admitted they have a lot of issues with the Roam. It is hopeless. I have 11 Sonos and this has got more issues than Vogue!!

The charger being unplugged is key to this resolution! 

Good luck!