Sonos move no longer playing music

I have a Sonos Move that is no longer playing any audio that is sent to it. It shows up on the network and if I stream music to it, it will show as if it is playing but no audio comes out.

If I do any troubleshooting steps (ie. reboot router, reset Move to factory settings), it will work but will ultimately revert back to having the same issue.

This issue started a couple of weeks ago so think it might be related to 14.6 update but no way of knowing for certain.

I also have Beam on my network and both play fine.

Is anyone having the same issue or can anyone recommend steps to fix (beyond what I have already done)?

Thank you!

12 replies

Badge

Experiencing nearly identical problem with the Move speaker as of late (couple weeks?). As noted other Sonos devices do not exhibit the same issue. I have not done a factory reset but full power down seems to be the only solution. The only observable pattern is as follows: power on, music playback, playback stops, standby power, end standby, attempt playback to no avail. Power down and power on seems to restore functionality. Nothing really helpful to add other than evidence. v14.6

I have not yet initiated a support request. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@burnsy  There have been a couple of posts about this.  I’ve been experiencing the same problem.

Called support today.  It’s apparently a “known issue” with portable speakers and the dev team are working on a fix.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@burnsy 

Very much "We're working on it" I'm afraid.

First, stop doing a factory reset on the device. This erases any log information that might help Sonos help you figure out what is going on. 

Not sure from the description what might be going on, but I’d be awfully tempted to refresh the network connection for that Move, by completely powering it down (not just on standby) and rebooting the router. Once the router comes back up, power back up the Move. 

But if that doesn’t resolve the issue, I’d submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Thanks for your reply. I will try your suggestion of refreshing the network connection.

I was on with support last night and they were, let’s just say, less than helpful. I was able to replicate the issue and they were not able to solve it on the phone.

I am waiting on an email from them with details how to send it my Move for a replacement but 24 hours later and I still haven’t received the email. So, I have another phone call with them in my future.

@IanJShaw - Thank you for your reply! I looked before posting but didn’t see anything related to the issue.

I spoke to support last week but they didn’t say anything about this being a known issue. I’m glad to hear that it isn’t my unit.

Did they say when the issue might be fixed or was it a standard “we’re working on it?”

Started experiencing this issue today, and I took the suggestion to fully power it down then back on, which worked for me (at least for now).

Would seem to suggest a connectivity issue possibly, so I also brought my move closer to my router when powering off and on. 

Good luck to everyone who’s still experiencing this issue, hopefully there’s an actual fix sometime soon! 

@IanJShaw I was doing more reading and there are apparently other issues with the 14.6 update so hopefully a fix is coming sooner than later.

I’m having the same issue but it only started in the last few months. 

I am having the same problem as of the past few weeks. Does Sonos know when there will be a fix to this issue?

When do they think soon is? Still doesnt work :(

@Jtobola - They have not said when this will be fixed. It’s been about a month now so hopefully the fix is coming soon.