Sonos Move flashing red battery light

Was on the deck last and after 2 or 3 hours the battery level indicator started to flash red. I read that this indicates a ‘fault condition’. Does anyone know what that means, and what would trigger that? Is it a fatal condition?

thx. 

Paul A 3 years ago

Hi @all.

Thanks for the immediate and detailed response.

I would like to recommend calling our technical support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting steps. Flashing red on a Sonos move is not a normal behavior and indicates battery issue.

You may also want to do the basic trouble shooting steps.

1. Remove the Sonos Move from the charging bay.
  2. Turn off the Move by pressing the power button for 10-15 secs until the light on top disappears.
  3. place the Sonos Move back on it’s charging bay and without pressing any buttons, the Sonos Move should turn on by itself.
  4. If the red light disappears, I suggest to observe as it may just be a glitch.
  5. If the red light does not disappear, submit a diagnostic and call out technical support team.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. we are always here to help.

Thanks,

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +7

I’ve had the same issue with my Move and I think you’re now the third person on the forum reporting the same issue.

In my case, I just placed it on the dock to charge it and the issue with the blinking red light disappeared. It’s been weeks since this happened and never occurred again.

BTW, not sure about you, but in my case the Move kept on playing music just fine while the red light was flashing.

Exact use case as mine. Had my Move back in the deck last night after resetting it and charging it and no red light.

It played fine with/without blinking red. I did though have trouble reconnecting to the app on red night, and I believe ( but can’t recall) that it went into fault after reconnecting. 

BTW, mine played just fine as well

Just notice mine doing it. Seems to be working but had stopped playing without being told to and a few days ago had a Max volume moment. 

I’ve emailed support as requested. 

Hello everyone. I am sorry to hear that you are all having issues with your Moves. When the light is flashing red, does audio continue to play or does it stop? 

Can you all take a moment and submit a diagnostic report (preferably when it is flashing, or shortly after)when you have a chance, and reply back with the confirmation number? 

For me the audio stopped but I was able to restart it. FYI I have a case open 01839724. 

My audio is still going and the light is flashing as I type this. Here is my confirmation number - 985562459

I am seeing no errors in this diagnostic, other then the battery reaching depletion. Is the LED light flashing Red, or or Amber?

How long is the Move off of the charging dock for?

Flashing Amber indicates that the Move is low on battery, and needs to charge. The Move will continue to play audio. However, if the battery depletes enough, it will turn off until it has been recharged. 

The light was flashing Red on the front - It had over 80% of charge per the Sonos app and was off the dock for maybe 1 hour or so and was fully charged. It never flashed orange and went straight to red out of nowhere.

The red light stopped immediately as soon as I placed the Move back on the dock, I will see if it does it again today.

Userlevel 1

I have the same problem.   My Move is flashing red.  It shows its battery is at 82%. 
The music is still playing. 

here’s the diag number:  1452441690

Same problem here. Battery >80% and it start blinking red for the rest of the day. It works fine. 

I'm having the same problem, battery has plenty left (according to the app) but after about an hours use I get the red light. Music continues to play fine. This has happened a few times now. Slightly worried as it's only a few days old.

Userlevel 1

Another piece of info to help Sonos debug this:

Once the light starts flashing, if you put the Move on the charger for just enough time for the light to change to charging (~2 seconds) then take it off.  The red light is cleared.  I haven’t done this and let it run for hours to see if it comes back on.   But I can say it initially clears the condition.  

Hi everyone. Thank you for your patience about this. This issue would best be resolved on the phone with our phone team, as we can perform more advanced troubleshooting with all of you individually. When you have a moment during the week, please give our support number a call. You can find our contact information here.

Experienced the same today, have submitted diagnostic and support ticket. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I experienced a similar issue today.

It happened when I took the speaker to a friend’s and was monkeying around trying to get it to connect with the wifi - I gave up on wifi because I forgot how to add another network - but even when I switched to Bluetooth the light kept blinking (I think amber?...). The Move had almost full battery and kept playing fine for the most part, although once when I turned it up to around 80% it jumped back down to about 15% on its own.

Diagnostic number:1183654280

Case number:01911767

I also noticed move flashing red just now, still appears to be working fine,battery at 70%

After chatting with tech, docking it stopped it

Mine is doing this too, and has done this every time I try to use the Bluetooth part of this product.

I left my base at home and now have a dead move...I guess this is just a portable Sonos speaker for home (not on the move)

Good thing I brought a back-up reliable Bluetooth speaker

what an annoyance.

Did anyone get this resolved?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

This happened to me today as well. My Move’s about 10 days old, but this is only about the 3rd time we’ve used it. 

Noticed it at roughly 80% battery (per app) and thought it strange the battery would be dead. Put it on the base for about 5 seconds and it stopped. 

Music continued to play with the flashing red light, for what it’s worth. 

Will be using it this afternoon for a while and will see if it does it again. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @all.

Thanks for the immediate and detailed response.

I would like to recommend calling our technical support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting steps. Flashing red on a Sonos move is not a normal behavior and indicates battery issue.

You may also want to do the basic trouble shooting steps.

1. Remove the Sonos Move from the charging bay.
  2. Turn off the Move by pressing the power button for 10-15 secs until the light on top disappears.
  3. place the Sonos Move back on it’s charging bay and without pressing any buttons, the Sonos Move should turn on by itself.
  4. If the red light disappears, I suggest to observe as it may just be a glitch.
  5. If the red light does not disappear, submit a diagnostic and call out technical support team.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. we are always here to help.

Thanks,

Hello everyone. I am sorry to hear that you are all having issues with your Moves. When the light is flashing red, does audio continue to play or does it stop? 

Can you all take a moment and submit a diagnostic report (preferably when it is flashing, or shortly after)when you have a chance, and reply back with the confirmation number? 

Submitted confirmation 1182257609

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

My Move has also exhibited this behaviour on one occasion: playing off battery, with charge > 80%, the red battery light started flashing, but music playback continued without interruption.

I power cycled the Move, and the flashing red light didn’t reappear. I’ll keep an eye on it, but I suspect it’s just a software bug.

I’m experiencing the same flashing red light on a 3-day old Move. Flashing started with the battery >80% and music is still playing through the flashing red light, except temporarily when pulling the diagnostic (1302148988), and battery is at about 77% now as I’m writing this.

Userlevel 1

Played the Move off its base for a few hours and then it appeared to go dead early and unexpectedly.  I wanted to keep it outside rather than put it back on the dock so I used a USBC charger to plug it in. When the Move started up the red light flashed and continued flashing even after I removed the USB charger.  Also after a 4 hours or so it only managed about a 25% charge.

Here's the diagnostic: 1015112081

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @jharman.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention and submitting a diagnostic.

Based on the provided diagnostic, there is a difference between what the internal system of the Sonos Move reading of the battery level vs what the actual battery level is. I would like to recommend removing the Sonos Move off of its charging bay, press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds and then place it back on its charging bay. Without pressing any buttons, It should power on by itself. Can we check if the red light is still blinking on the Sonos Move? If it does, I suggest contacting our technical support team for a more in-depth troubleshooting step.

Please let us know how it goes. We are always here to help out.

Thanks,

Userlevel 1

Placing the Move back on the base charger seemed to reset it without me having to touch the power button. I put it on last night and this morning the red light has gone.