Answered

So many problems with the Roam!

• 26 April 2021
  • 99 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

99 replies

Userlevel 1

hahaha

You’re right, no tech companies ever fail once they’ve been around long enough. That’s totally how it works.

Arrogance, complacency, and hubris: the hallmarks of any great company with a long future ahead. lol

Thanks for making my day! :-)

Call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

hahaha

You’re right, no tech companies ever fail once they’ve been around long enough. That’s totally how it works.

Arrogance, complacency, and hubris: the hallmarks of any great company with a long future ahead. lol

Thanks for making my day! :-)

If I had a nickel for every time someone has said Sonos is going to fail due to some perceived humanistic traits that by definition cannot apply to a nameless, faceless corporation, I could afford a new Sonos Five. We’ve been laughing at posts like that for over a decade.  So no, thanks to you for making my day!

How were you able to get Sonos to exchange your Roam?  I spent a half hour on the phone with CS and got to a point where they wanted me to reconfigure my wifi system.  I have several other Sonos speakers and they work fine.  When I first got the Roam a few weeks ago, it worked on my system  I was out of town for a couple of weeks and when I returned, I have been unable to connect my Roam to my Wifi and also unable to use the bluetooth function.  I have followed every step to reset it and it doesn’t work.  All I wanted was to have my Roam exchanged and I am being told they won’t because they think my wifi system isn’t configured correctly.  Everything else connected to it works other than my Roam.  Appreciate the help.

If the Staff believe a ‘product-exchange’ will just result in the same outcome until you perhaps reconfigure your setup to meet the system requirements, perhaps that’s their reasoning🤔, but you haven’t explained the actual network issue in your post?

Is it a QOS, Airtime Fairness, Multicasting, DHCP server, or some other issue? The fact other devices work, maybe irrelevant, particularly if they are running on SonosNet (which Roam doesn’t use), or are setup on S1 HH, or your router is having difficulties leasing IP addresses, for example etc. etc.

No point CS sending you a replacement device if you just then face the exact same issues you have now? What was the actual issue with reconfiguring your setup to accommodate the product?

What were you being asked to change to get the device onto your system?

More information is needed to really comment further about the matter.

I’m a network engineer with every Sonos product in my house, my newly added roam keeps pausing randomly It seems to be 100% roam related. Where can I find the Sonos recommended Network settings ? I have a commercial grade WiFi setup in my house :) 

I would like to echo this thread because I am having so much trouble with my SONOS ROAM as well, every morning I need to, always, always FIX the connection between ROAM and my mobile. Every freaking day I am asked to push 2 buttons to reset this speaker and set it up again and again. I am beginning to hate it, then I would always try to remember that I really wanted this and I thought of it hard to get me one. Because you see I am happy with my JBL collection but then this looks so nice and more expensive. So I thought I'd be happier, now I'm almost regretting it. HEY SONOS! Why can't you guys fix this thing??? 

Been a huge fan of Sonos until I bought the Roam…..What a disappointment with connectivity…Still cant get it to work…Back to Bose

MistaP,

Not likely to be part of your ROAM drama, but here are some details that you might enjoy.

Are your other SONOS units using SonosNet or WiFi?

Give us more detail about your network setup.

Been a huge fan of Sonos until I bought the Roam…..What a disappointment with connectivity…Still cant get it to work…Back to Bose

Admittedly, I’m wondering why you would want to return to Bose, because of a Roam connection issue, when you already have these Sonos products (listed below), according to your online profile, which was apparently created today:

• Sonos Play:1
  • Sonos Play:5 (gen2)
  • Sonos Beam
  • Sonos Sub 
  • Sonos Amp

Surely you would likely be better off resolving the Roam connection issue.

Maybe just contact Sonos Support via this link instead…

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

You need a lesson in marketing 101 as well as customer service. 

The connectivity should be simple. Figure it out.

Seeing all the different posts and stories about the ROAM being defective, I have a hard time reconciling myself to some stupid comment posted about this obviously not being a product problem and  scores of users have no problems so it must be a “you” problem.

Mine is dead. Normal use for about a month. Was glitchy while it still functioned. But I lived with it. Now I begin my journey trying to get a refund… (and yes it’s past the 45 day period) I started with the “email our CEO direct” link. Very interested to see how that works out.

New Sonia Roam - have called and spoke to 4 customer service reps - nice people - but I have wasted more than 4 hours trying to get my one sonos roam speaker connected to my WiFi - impossible!!

very unhappy first time Sonia customer!!! Still not working!!!!

@rsivarajan,

As you have unusual LED lights showing compared to your ‘other’ perfectly working Roam and have tried the various resets etc. Have you submitted a diagnostic report, made a note of its reference and spoken to Sonos Support - if not, you can contact them via this LINK to see if they can suggest anything further for you to try.

Thanks, Ken.

Yes, I just spoke with Sonos support and they will send a new unit. My theory of a fault during the firmware upgrade was wrong and there is indeed a hardware issue. The CSR was able to confirm the issue when I initiated a stereo pairing and the second Roam went to the orange-white status state.

Sonos needs to do more testing before shipping these units out. At the least a stereo pairing, though it may be difficult to automate.

I have had a Sonos system at my 2nd home for 2 years. I have a Beam (I only use it with the television) and a Move, a One and a One SL. The two Ones are paired for stereo. This has worked flawlessly for about a year and a half.

Two weeks ago I bought and paired a Sonos Roam. Since then, I cannot seem to play to the Roam and the Move/One speakers simultaneously or the Ones only play intermittently. I have removed the Roam and added it back. I have done the same with both Ones. I have also unpaired the two Ones but nothing seems to work. There are times when the app shows the Ones or the Move as playing but they aren’t, it’s actually to Roam that is playing. And almost consistently after I try to get music to play on all these speakers (not the Beam) the app shows nothing playing but the Roam is still playing and nothing else. I have made sure every speaker’s software/firmware is up to date but that didn’t help either.

Help!!!

@sherwoodhughes 
Are all your Sonos devices running on your Home WiFi network (with no devices wired)?
What Router/WiFi are you using?

Are the routers 2.4Ghz/5Ghz adapters using separate SSID’s, or are they using the same SSID?

What channels are in use by the routers WiFi adapters?

Besides the main router, do you have any other wireless access points on the same subnet and if so, are they using the same SSID/Credentials and wireless channels as those in use by the main router?

Badge +1

@sherwoodhughes 
Are all your Sonos devices running on your Home WiFi network (with no devices wired)?

Are the routers 2.4Ghz/5Ghz adapters using separate SSID’s, or are they using the same SSID?

Besides the main router, do you have any other wireless access points on the same subnet and if so, are they using the same SSID/Credentials and wireless channels as those in use by the main router?

I have had the whole network diagnosed by a BT home technician in consultation with the Sonos technician… The channels have been fixed to minimise area congestion. It is the only device which refuses to stay connected. If you search the net, mine isn’t the only case like this, it’s notorious. It’s a duff product & it’s gone back….. 

@sherwoodhughes 

I have had the whole network diagnosed by a BT home technician in consultation with the Sonos technician… The channels have been fixed to minimise area congestion. It is the only device which refuses to stay connected. If you search the net, mine isn’t the only case like this, it’s notorious. It’s a duff product & it’s gone back….. 

I was just wondering if in @sherwoodhughes case, it was perhaps an SSDP discovery issue, as they had mentioned devices were playing and yet were not showing in the Sonos App. It isn't clear if they have tried switching WiFi bands in use by the Roam, or were losing sight of the device if they were on a different network segment/AP and/or operating on a different channel, compared to the mobile controller device.

However, I would also have maybe expected that the ‘other’ Sonos products might have stumbled upon the same/similar issue too, if all the ‘non-portable’ devices are running on the local WiFi signal too, rather than SonosNet. However thats likely to be less-frequent when devices/controllers are fairly static.

Just posted in reply to maybe glean more about their actual local network configuration.

We received our Roam last week and have had endless problems with it, which haven’t been solved by Sonos Customer Services.

Initially, it wouldn’t connect to our existing Sonos system at all. Then when it did, the speaker didn’t work properly - it was really tinny with no bass, and when we tried to change the volume there was an awful scratching noise.

We eventually managed to play music normally - but the it cuts out every 3-5 minutes!! On the Sonos app it still says music is playing, and the buttons on the Roam don’t work.

This happens whether it’s on Bluetooth or wifi. Other problems include not being able to turn it off, and the buttons sporadically not working at all.

We spent 45 minutes on hold to CS, and then 2.5 hours chatting with a very nice but ultimately unhelpful technician who remote-accessed our router settings and tried everything he could to get it working. This resulted in us having no internet…. because he changed our router to modem mode, which meant nothing else connected to the router worked! He then told us to call our ISP - even though it’s clearly a problem with the Roam and not our wifi network.

We’ve had no problems with our other Sonos speakers. But although I am loathe to call CS again but I’m going to have to to return this obviously faulty item. Sort it out Sonos!

Are these common problems or is it just us? How do you get Sonos to acknowledge that something is faulty?

I had exactly the same problem with my Roam. I found no solution and read that a Sonos support guy recommended us to to return it, which I did. What a crappy product, I’m so disappointed!

Badge

I consider myself to be someone who can usually cope with current technology. However, my experience with adding Roam to the existing system was unexpectedly bad. What disappointed me even more, however, was the Roam device itself. I constantly had issues with connectivity, charging, non-responsive buttons. This was not the device I wanted in my bathroom for simple music listening, so I returned it after about ten days. 

I’m not sure what SSDP discovery is but all of the items are running on a 2.4ghz network band. I always heard this is preferable to 5ghz?

How were you able to get Sonos to exchange your Roam?  I spent a half hour on the phone with CS and got to a point where they wanted me to reconfigure my wifi system.  I have several other Sonos speakers and they work fine.  When I first got the Roam a few weeks ago, it worked on my system  I was out of town for a couple of weeks and when I returned, I have been unable to connect my Roam to my Wifi and also unable to use the bluetooth function.  I have followed every step to reset it and it doesn’t work.  All I wanted was to have my Roam exchanged and I am being told they won’t because they think my wifi system isn’t configured correctly.  Everything else connected to it works other than my Roam.  Appreciate the help.

If the Staff believe a ‘product-exchange’ will just result in the same outcome until you perhaps reconfigure your setup to meet the system requirements, perhaps that’s their reasoning🤔, but you haven’t explained the actual network issue in your post?

Is it a QOS, Airtime Fairness, Multicasting, DHCP server, or some other issue? The fact other devices work, maybe irrelevant, particularly if they are running on SonosNet (which Roam doesn’t use), or are setup on S1 HH, or your router is having difficulties leasing IP addresses, for example etc. etc.

No point CS sending you a replacement device if you just then face the exact same issues you have now? What was the actual issue with reconfiguring your setup to accommodate the product?

What were you being asked to change to get the device onto your system?

More information is needed to really comment further about the matter.

jgatie - this is one specific topic titled “So many problems with the Roam!”

Look for anything involving Roam Battery, Roam Dead, Roam Charging, and many more key words. There are pages of different issues and all go back to a lot of people buying the Roam and it’s defective.

Your other examples of crappy Sonos products makes me seriously consider my future plans for home entertainment electronics though. Appreciate that info.

I’m not sure what SSDP discovery is but all of the items are running on a 2.4ghz network band. I always heard this is preferable to 5ghz?

What WiFi channel are you using? Try the three non-overlapping channels 1, 6 or 11 to see if one of them may work better for you (assuming no Sonos products are wired to your LAN.

Sonos uses SSDP (simple service discovery protocol), multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900 to discover your devices on the LAN Subnet. Thereafter communication is unicast.

If the devices are not being discovered and not appearing in your Sonos App, but you can still ‘ping’ them, or they continue to play etc. then something is perhaps going awry with that protocol or the multicasting. It often occurs where users have multiple wireless access points (extenders etc.) perhaps operating on different WiFi channels, or network switches perhaps not correctly forwarding the multicast packets  across the LAN. Also see this useful link aswell re: IGMP snooping: https://community.fs.com/blog/what-is-igmp-snooping.html

… so as some of your devices were disappearing from the App, but still playing, I thought it worth highlighting that there ‘maybe’ a problem in these areas with your local network setup and to maybe take a closer look at those things too, just to see if there is anything that might be causing you some problems with the discovery of your devices.

Another important area in regards to this to look at, is security/software on the mobile controller device as that can impact on these things too, for example I’ve see some users mention ‘Private Address’ (MAC Spoofing) or ‘WiFi calling’ VPN/Firewall/Antivirus software etc. has caused them some Sonos device-discovery issues.

My Roam got splashed by the pool and now it is not functioning. I have four other Sonos products. I am thoroughly dissatisfied with this product.

My Roam got splashed by the pool and now it is not functioning. I have four other Sonos products. I am thoroughly dissatisfied with this product.

It’s IP67 rated, so I ‘suspect’ any splashing by the pool is perhaps unlikely to be the issue here.