Answered

Roam Won't Turn Off

• 23 November 2021
  • 13 replies

Badge +2

I have Roam which is stuck with a white light on the top next to the mic logo. It’s completely unresponsive, not showing up as available in the Sonos app, not available via airplay or bluetooth.

I’ve held the button in for more than 5 seconds, no change. If I plug it in, the orange light shows on the side. I didn’t really want to reset it but I tried the steps to do that as a last resort and still no good. Do I just have to wait for the battery to run out?

icon

Best answer by ratty 23 November 2021, 15:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

This is exactly what is happening. I wish Roam were more intuitive. It’s been my least favorite Sonos product. Thanks for the instructions

Userlevel 7

@Denise_Marie_612 If you don’t shut off the Roam completely, it goes into standby/sleep mode. In this state, the Roam’s battery will drain quicker than it would if you shut the Roam off completely. Also, if the Roam is just in standby mode, every time you open the Sonos app, the Roam will wake up. This is probably what you are experiencing.

The Roam being idle for 30 minutes or pressing the button on the back of the Roam puts it to sleep. To shut the Roam off completely, you must press and hold the button for about five seconds until you hear a descending chime. When the Roam is shut off completely, it should only drain about 1% of battery per day.

If your Sonos app is up-to-date, there is a new Battery Saver mode you can enable on the Roam. This feature will automatically shut off the Roam after it has been idle for 30 minutes rather than just putting it to sleep. Read more here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/5085?language=en_US 

Built as a portable product, I don’t find a way to prevent battery drain when the Roam thing is in my baggage. The slightest pressure inside the bag will switch it on. 
Is there a ‘Lock’ mode, for travel?

I have Roam which is stuck with a white light on the top next to the mic logo. It’s completely unresponsive, not showing up as available in the Sonos app, not available via airplay or bluetooth.

I’ve held the button in for more than 5 seconds, no change. If I plug it in, the orange light shows on the side. I didn’t really want to reset it but I tried the steps to do that as a last resort and still no good. Do I just have to wait for the battery to run out?

Like many others in this Community, I have also had an unusal Sonos experience with Roam and it’s not good! I’ve been a long time Sonos fan and have at least 12 speakers including the Playbar and TV theatre experience between 2 houses. I was excited to have Roam as a bluetooth speaker but it was unclear that I first needed to setup with my Sonos system before taking on the road. It was a nightmare to setup, too. When I first added to the app, all of my other speakers DISAPPEARED! Took a lot of time and effort to get them all back on-line. My current problem is like Scoobydoofus because Roam goes on spontaneously. At first I thought it was because it was in my purse or backpack but now at home not traveling, I charged it and turned it off last night and magically, it was on again this morning with battery already draining. Honestly, I’ve never been so frustrated with a SONOS product before and cannot recommend this one. :-(

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Orange flashing indicates the battery is low and needs charge.  What charger are you using, it needs at least

From the Sonos Support Page

Roam's battery light

The battery light on the front of Roam will flash orange when Roam is low on battery (15% charge or less).

When connected to power, Roam will display a solid orange light to indicate that it’s charging. After about 10 seconds, the light will turn off but Roam will continue to charge.

If the battery is depleted or has a very low charge, the orange light will stay on longer than 10 seconds until Roam has enough charge to turn on. This charging time will vary based on the power adapter Roam is using and how depleted the battery is. Once the battery light turns off, Roam may still require additional charging before it can be used on battery power.”

Having the same issue but nothing I can do will turn this speaker off. Not 5, 10, 15, 30 seconds of holding, it stays on a with a flashing orange light. If I plug it into a power source the orange light stops flashing, but I have no method do turn off/hard reset/factory reset. I’ve had nothing but trouble with this speaker, my first and likely last sonos product

Press the power button and keep holding. The unit should eventually reboot. You’ll need to be patient.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Indeed takes a good 7 second press

I think it’s 15 seconds or more. I’m not talking about just turning it off; I’m referring to a hardware reset.

NB it’s not the same as a factory reset, as it doesn’t erase settings.

hi @Denise_Marie_612 you may check the Automatic TruePlay settings if they have any impact

Built as a portable product, I don’t find a way to prevent battery drain when the Roam thing is in my baggage. The slightest pressure inside the bag will switch it on. 

I bought a travelling case for my Roam.

Badge +2

Thanks, I held the button for longer and it turned off. 👍🏻

I bought a travelling case for my Roam.

Thanks, but a firmware-based switch would have less environmental impact. 
Maybe someone at Sonos reads these threads, but from my experience, there is a watertight non-dialogue relationship from this supplier.