Answered

Roam won;t power on

• 27 January 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 6 replies

Sonos Roam is normally charged using its dedicated Sonos Qi base.

It currently won’t power on.  It shows in the app as being “powered off”.  No lights are on.

If I put it onto a hard wire charger it shows a solid orange charging light.  That light does not go off as long as the charging cable is connected.  Once I take it off the cable and back onto its charging base, all lights go out.

I’ve looked at other posts on this site, and have done all the “reboot” activities (i.e. hold power button for 20+ seconds, etc).  Nothing happens.

So no matter what I attempt it looks dead.  Unit is under 2 years old.  Any ideas on how to re-power it anyone??

icon

Best answer by pac 2 February 2023, 10:18

View original

5 replies

What’s the power output of the charger that you’re using when wiring the Roam? - It needs to be a PD certified charger with a power output of at least 5v x 1.5A (7.5w), but I would recommend using a minimum 5v x 2A (10w) , or even a 5v x 3A (15w) charger. If no joy resetting and getting it going with such a charger, then you’re best to perhaps contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK  and see what the Staff can suggest to resolve the issue.

Badge

Thanks Ken,

Yes, the charger is a 5v 1.5A unit - it’s the original Sonos wireless charger which I purchased with the Roam itself, so I’ve worked on the basis that it’s the proper one to use.

So it looks like it’s going to be a more complex solution.

Regards, Peter.

Thanks Ken,

Yes, the charger is a 5v 1.5A unit - it’s the original Sonos wireless charger which I purchased with the Roam itself, so I’ve worked on the basis that it’s the proper one to use.

So it looks like it’s going to be a more complex solution.

Regards, Peter.

Just to clarify, Is that the Qi charger, or the charger you’re using with the usb connection into the back of the Roam? (Or does your charger do both those things?) Note that charger is a minimum level of charging, do you have a faster charger 5v x 2A or 3A?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @pac 

Thanks for your post!

I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports about your Roam’s battery performance/condition.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Thanks @Corry P - yes, I did make contact with your technical folk a couple of days back, and they determined that the unit was faulty and have initiated a replacement process.  It seems that the battery died.  Hopefully no more problems with the new unit when it arrives.