Answered

Roam: turning itself on

Badge

Hey all

I got the Roam delivered on Monday, and have experienced some unusual behaviour, which I’ve summarised below:

Powered the Roam off (holding down the power button until the chime), put it on charge (wirelessly) and the Roam immediately turns back on.

So, I powered it down while it was sitting on the charger, which seemed to do the trick, and left it to charge. When I went back to check it a few hours later, it was switched on again!

So I guess my question is this… does the Roam turn on automatically when being charged wirelessly? If so is there a way to turn this feature off?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by James L. 23 April 2021, 09:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

Badge +17

Hi @RexMonday,

Yes, this is expected. If you’d like the Roam to be off while charging you’d need to first place it on the wireless charger, then hold down the button to switch it off. There’s currently no way to disable this from happening but I’d be happy to pass on your feedback for consideration :slight_smile:

Badge

Thanks for the response James… I thought that might be the case, although it doesn't explain the second point of my post:

I powered down the Roam, while it was on the charger, but when I went back to check it a few hours later it was switched on.

Also… would there be any detrimental effect of leaving the speaker switched on, and on the charger all the time… 

Thanks

Rex

Badge +17

Thanks for the response James… I thought that might be the case, although it doesn't explain the second point of my post:

I powered down the Roam, while it was on the charger, but when I went back to check it a few hours later it was switched on.

Without looking at a diagnostic report from your Roam I can’t answer that with complete certainty. I can only assume that the Roam was in sleep mode rather than fully powered off, or there was a break in the power delivery that prompted the Roam to be woken up, as if it was taken off and then placed back onto the charger.

Also… would there be any detrimental effect of leaving the speaker switched on, and on the charger all the time… 

Nope, feel free to leave the Roam on the charger and powered on if you wish :slight_smile:

Badge

Thanks James… so leaving the Roam on a wireless charger and switched on 24/7 won’t have a long-term effect on the battery? Sorry to ask again, it just seems strange to me, as typically battery’s degrade the more they are charged

Badge +17

Thanks James… so leaving the Roam on a wireless charger and switched on 24/7 won’t have a long-term effect on the battery? Sorry to ask again, it just seems strange to me, as typically battery’s degrade the more they are charged

There are internal software mechanisms in place to prevent any long term battery damage from leaving it on charge, just like is in the Move :slight_smile:

Badge

That’s amazing… is that the same with any wireless charger, or only the Sonos certified one?

Badge +17

That’s amazing… is that the same with any wireless charger, or only the Sonos certified one?

Any wireless charger that is able to charge the Roam is safe to use and leave it on :slight_smile:

Badge

Thank you James… that’s really helpful! 

Have a great weekend!

Badge +3

Yes had the same issue. Placed it on a Qi wireless charger over night for about 8 hours (fully powered down) by 9am in the morning it had gone from 45% to 74% but was switched on again?

Badge

So… I’m pretty sure there’s an issue. Put the Roam on a wireless charger, it switches on. Then, while still on the charger, if I turn off the Roam, a few seconds later it switches on again. Not a massive deal, but just seems strange behaviour that it can’t charge unless turned on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

That the roam turns on again if you have turned it off completely before, only happens when it‘s connected to a QI charger. The reasons are how QI charging works and the fact, that roam always turns on if it‘s connected to a power supply. 
If connected to power source using the usb c cable roam can be turned off completely and stays so. 
As a result of this roam only can be powered off completely on battery mode or being connected to power supply with usb c. 

I have the same issue. It turns on on the wireless charger. The thing is when it fully charged first, it seems stop charging and it keeps turning on. As a result, the battery is draing on the charger.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

I have the same issue. It turns on on the wireless charger. The thing is when it fully charged first, it seems stop charging and it keeps turning on. As a result, the battery is draing on the charger.

For the battery there is no problem in this case. Roam will charge fully and stop charging at 100%. 
Only thing made by design is that you can‘t turn off roam completely if it‘s placed on a QI charger. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

Hi @RexMonday,

Yes, this is expected. If you’d like the Roam to be off while charging you’d need to first place it on the wireless charger, then hold down the button to switch it off. There’s currently no way to disable this from happening but I’d be happy to pass on your feedback for consideration :slight_smile:

Don‘t know who marked this as best answer, but imo it‘s not the answer, because the question was why roam automatically turns on again after turning it off while still standing on the wireless charger. So imo what is written above doesn‘t work…

You can‘t turn off roam completely without turning on automatically after some time if it is connected to a wireless QI charger. 

I’m in the same club, turn off Roam NOT ON CHARGER or plugged in and yep, come back to it and it’s either dead or on.   Kind of pointless for a battery powered device to not keep itself turned off when not charging or in use.  If I turn off a device I expect it to stay off.   I’ll wait another week for a good answer or fix otherwise both units go back as defective and won’t be replaced.  This is a horrible design.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@awesmdiver 

Have you really turned it off? (press and hold the powerbutton for about 5 seconds) 

Or have you just pressed it for a second and it went to standby mode?

@Schlumpf Both.  Even if I only put it into Stand By mode it should not turn itself back on and “should” last 10 days in this status.  Per Sonos docs you take the Roam out of standby mode by pressing the power button again.

What’s happening is the Roam is dead the next day and I have to charge it, so yes it’s fully powers back on or standby mode is 1 day not 10.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@awesmdiver 

Waking up from standby by opening the app is made by design. But turning on just should happen by pressing power button or connecting to power source. 

@Schlumpf  What brilliant person thought it was a clever idea to wake up a battery powered speaker by opening the app?  I have other Sonos speakers in the house that I use daily so having these portable speakers turn on; especially when NOT plugged in is a horrible idea.

I’ll be sending them back.

Update:  Just looked at both units - one is completely dead again, fully charged last night.  The other has 15% left and sure enough I did check and yep, you open the app and the Roam wakes up.  Again, if being charged this might be a clever idea, but on battery it is not.

That said, I cannot get this Roam to turn off.  The instructions say, “To power off Roam, press and hold the button on the back of your Roam for at least 5 seconds. You will hear a chime and the status LED on the front will turn off.” but what really happens is it goes into Bluetooth pairing mode.   It never shuts down if I hold the button.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@awesmdiver 

If your Roam can’t be turned off i suggest to call the support team. 

Userlevel 1

Please change this feature, it’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. 

If I’m *INSIDE* using my other Sonos speakers, why the F would I need by Roam to turn on by itself?! Then, when I actually want to use it, it’s dead! 

I would have no problem waiting 2 seconds to turn the Roam on from inside the app before playback vs the battery draining all day from being automatically turned on. pleeeeaase fix this terrible product decision.

Userlevel 7

@LSChicago You can turn the Roam off completely by holding down the button on the back for 5 seconds if you want to conserve the battery.

Userlevel 1

@GuitarSuperstar GuitarSuperstar Yes, I know. That doesn’t change the fact that it turns on by itself every time I use the app. If I need to run to it every time I use my Sonos app to turn it off in order to conserve battery, that’s a huge inconvenience. 

Userlevel 7

@LSChicago If you completely turn the Roam off when not in use, it won’t turn on automatically when you use the Sonos app and the battery will stay charged.

Userlevel 1

Can you please clarify how to turn it temporarily off (or in sleep mode) and completely off? 

The documentation on this product is also pretty bad.