Answered

roam - no sound at all

Userlevel 1

My roam doesn’t make any sound at all. No sound when playing a song and no system sounds. Same issue in both connect and bluetooth. Any idea?

icon

Best answer by Peter2v 25 August 2021, 17:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you completed the Roam setup process in the Sonos app? Is the Roam charged?

Try rebooting the Roam by following these steps:

1. Disconnect Roam from charging cables and remove it from wireless chargers.
  2. Hold the button on the back of Roam for at least five seconds until you hear the power-off tone and the light above the Sonos logo turns off.
  3. Wait 10 seconds.
  4. Press the button on the back of Roam to turn it back on.
Userlevel 1

Thanks for the answer

Yes, I have completed the setup. 
Yes, it is 100% charged. 

I have followed your steps. 

I don’t get the system sound in step 2. 

Still no sound

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Generate a Diagnostics report and contact Sonos support. 

Userlevel 1

I get exactly the same. It was a struggle connecting my Bluetooth, worked for a day and now doesn’t! Getting fed up with Sonos! I’ve spent literally thousands of pounds on play bars, ones, subs, and always a problem! 

Userlevel 1

I found a fix. My Sonos roam was connected to my iPhone. I went to Bluetooth on my iPhone, clicked on Sonia roam and “forget device”. Then turned my Sonia roam off, turned it back on, got a white flashing light. When it went solid white, I pressed the on/off button, held for the chime and let go. Back into set up mode, I re-paired it and it worked straight away. 

As above. Sonos Roam was paired to my Samsung via Bluetooth. Unpaired on phone then followed instructions as above now fixed.  Thanks Peter2v.

Thank you Peter2v for your fix!  I had a brand new roam I was setting up that would not play any music after going through all of the set-up steps.  The no-audio problem seemed to occur after the device updated, but followed your steps and now wifi and bluetooth are working.  Thank you again!

new Sonos Roam not playing through wifi.

Went through all the set-up steps, is showing that it is on my network.

Was able to manually pair to bluetooth. But not wifi.

Turning off and on didn’t help.

Any tips? Thank you.

I tried PeterV2’s fix but that didn’t seem to be my issue. Brand new Roam, the only sound I heard it make was an initial chime when setting up trutone. Then nothing after that from any WiFi source. 

I run an Apple HomeKit smart home, so all my other speakers and devices were already connected to HomeKit. After the initial setup through the Sonos app my Roam was essentially a brick until I added it to my HomeKit app. Works fine now. Hope this helps someone. 

Thanks, I don’t use HomeKit so if anyone else has another tip, that would be great.

I’d recommend calling Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Thanks, I don’t use HomeKit so if anyone else has another tip, that would be great.

You haven’t mentioned if you have setup the Roam in your Sonos App - does the Roam show in both the Rooms and Settings tabs in the App and is it also listed in the About box. If so, is it running on the latest version of the Sonos firmware v13.4.1 build 66423220 and is there an IP address assigned by your local router …and finally, does the subnet match the WiFi connection subnet of your mobile controller device? 

Yes to all those items. Rebooting everything also did not help. I’ll try calling Sonos support. Thanks for your help.

Yes to all those items. Rebooting everything also did not help. I’ll try calling Sonos support. Thanks for your help.

Have you tried switching it between WiFi mode and Bluetooth mode and back again?

Also if that fails try this…

• Off its charger (important) press rear power button for 15+ seconds, keep it pressed until the speaker shuts down .. don’t release the button, wait until the top/front white status light reappears and then let go the button. Let the roam boot & settle and connect to the WiFi.
  • Now check the WiFi SSID Name that is shown in the Sonos App under ‘Settings/System/Network/Manage Networks’ and make a note of the name
  • Next goto the Mobile device network settings and ensure the mobile is connected to the exact same SSID Named WiFi network - if it is a different name then swap the mobile connection to the same WiFi that was seen in the Sonos App.
  • Return to the Sonos App and play music to the Roam, making sure it is showing in the ‘Now Playing’ bar and that the volume is set to 25% or higher and not muted (‘x’ next to volume slider control)

See if that works for you.

Thank you; that did work.

I also wasn’t aware I couldn’t just stream youtube audio through wifi to the Sonos Roam without having a youtube subscription. I can do it on bluetooth …

Thanks for your help.

Well, all of those workarounds! Have you tried turning it off and on again?  Yes! But the point is that it shouldn't happen. There's a software bug (yes, send diagnostics).

Bluetooth connected. Was working; then sound stopped. Bluetooth still saying connected. Switch to WiFi; music apparently playing; no sound.

The bug needs fixing; not workarounds.

This is insane- a portable product out of the box generally should work and be up and running in 15 min or less- agree?

Everything Sonos says about setting up this speaker… is a lie …. It’s not easy, holding down the power button does not turn on Bluetooth, you have to download the app and that will assist in setting up… not true, everything leads you to a rathole of “hey try this” … they are guessing as to what to do like the rest of us. Look at the list of folks seeking solutions above… it shouldn’t be this difficult. 

My solution- returning the Product. Complete waste of time, it’s really sad, a huge miss Sonos. 

Well, all of those workarounds! Have you tried turning it off and on again?  Yes! But the point is that it shouldn't happen. There's a software bug (yes, send diagnostics).

Bluetooth connected. Was working; then sound stopped. Bluetooth still saying connected. Switch to WiFi; music apparently playing; no sound.

The bug needs fixing; not workarounds.

It wasn’t a workaround? The steps outlined were to simply ensure the correct mode was being used on the speaker and mobile controller device to begin with before trying playback. Just wanted to be sure that the device wasn’t in diagnostic, or Bluetooth, mode and that the controller was operating on the same AP/Band/Channel as the speaker itself. I just needed to know that the user was singing from the same hymn sheet in this instance.

I had the same issue with a totally new Roam connecting to an existing SONOS system.

To resolve the issue, I shutdown and restarted, by holding button on back for 5 secs and then restarting after 10 seconds.

Thanks for the suggestion.

My experience with the similar ‘install but no or spotty sound issue’ is that if you don’t install or turn on trueplay mic option it works. So it feels like a bug with Roam software. When I turn it off it works and when I turn it on it doesn’t. 

I was having the same issue. Steps from Ken Griffths worked! Thanks!

Just adding my name to the list. Brand new roam, setup went fine, but zero sound after the install.  Fixed itself after a reboot

Something like this should have been caught during QA.  Seems very common

Have restarted several times and still no sound.

I really don't understand how this became a released product- "has sound" is literally the only success criteria.

This video helped me fix it:

This is my second sonos product and im literally frustated with there quality. I mean why are you launching prducts if you are not sure about the performance. Simply no sound out of sonos roam no matter what I try.

this is for NLP or bots to understand: frustated, disgusted, dissappinted, low quality