New Sonos Roam - Wifi Connection Issues

• 19 December 2021
  • 34 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Have you perhaps tried a factory reset of the Roam? It maybe worth a try…

1. Power off the Roam (5+ second press) on rear power button until you hear the 4 descending shutdown tones.
  2. Wait 10 seconds.
  3. Hold down Play/Pause and power ‘on’ with rear power button - keep Play/Pause button pressed until you see it flash Amber. Then let go the button.
  4. Status LED will switch to flashing Green, at which point open the S2 Sonos App and setup the device on your existing system.

Thanks! I tried this, setup the roam into the system again. Tried playing music VIA Bluetooth and I hear a brief 1second fragment of the song and the audio goes off again. Still does not work on WiFi, either. 

I’ll try Sonos support tomorrow, but from the other threads online it seems a lot of people share the same issues and end up returning their roam. 

@RBuchetto,
If no luck setting up the Roam post factory reset, maybe try a reboot of the router and check that you have the latest router firmware update too. HTH

Have you perhaps tried a factory reset of the Roam? It maybe worth a try…

1. Power off the Roam (5+ second press) on rear power button until you hear the 4 descending shutdown tones.
  2. Wait 10 seconds.
  3. Hold down Play/Pause - and power ‘on’ with rear power button - keep Play/Pause button pressed until you see LED flash Amber. Then let go the button.
  4. Status LED will switch to flashing Green, at which point open the S2 Sonos App and setup the device on your existing system.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but there have been a number of threads in regards to your main router over the past 12 months… perhaps see the three ‘sample’ links below:

I’m not sure why your Roam after fully power-recycling it is flashing, but this link tends to suggest a possible fault condition, or it possibly requires an update (if you can just get it connected to your network to do that):

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226

I suspect you may have a combination of things here. My suggestion is to get your setup working first without the Roam and then look at the Roam to see if you can get it to add to your router’s WiFi network based on the suggestions in the threads I’ve linked above.I hope that assists.

If problems are not resolved, then I think you might be best to discuss the issue with Sonos Support via this LINK

Thanks! I’ll look into the threads.

I have no issues with the other five Sonos speakers connected to my system and the same router. There may be a problem with the roam itself. 

I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but there have been a number of threads in regards to your main router over the past 12 months… perhaps see the three ‘sample’ links below:

I’m not sure why your Roam after fully power-recycling it is flashing, but this link tends to suggest a possible fault condition, or it possibly requires an update (if you can just get it connected to your network to do that):

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226

I suspect you may have a combination of things here. My suggestion is to get your setup working first without the Roam and then look at the Roam to see if you can get it to add to your router’s WiFi network based on the suggestions in the threads I’ve linked above.I hope that assists.

If problems are not resolved, then I think you might be best to discuss the issue with Sonos Support via this LINK

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

To resolve the wireless connection issues, you will perhaps need to describe your local network setup in a little more detail, for example…

• What router are you using?
  • Any other WiFi access points besides the main router?
  • Are the router bands named separately?
  • What WiFi channels & channel-width are in use?

WiFi network is an ASUS AI mesh.

Main router: ASUS RT-AX88U

Mesh node: ASUS AC-68U

Roam is connected to the main router. 
5ghz and 2.4ghz bands are names differently. Connected to the 2.4ghz network.

Routers are set to select the optimal channel to operate on with the least amount of interference with neighbors. 
I have 37 devices connected and the Roam is located about ten feet from a Play One so I don’t understand why there would be an issue with the WiFi network to cause problems with the Roam.

Is there anything in specific you were thinking I should check? 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

For the last part of your post with the flashing colours, that sounds like you have simultaneously pressed the play/pause and volume-down button for a period and put it into diagnostic dump mode.

I would simply press and hold the rear power button for 5+ seconds until you hear the descending tones as it powers off.

Wait for 10+ seconds and then power it on again or simply return it to its charger and the lights should clear and the normal operation should return.

I tried your recommendation and restarted the roam. The status light continues to flash white to orange. 

To resolve the wireless connection issues, you will perhaps need to describe your local network setup in a little more detail, for example…

• What router are you using?
  • Any other WiFi access points besides the main router?
  • Are the router bands named separately?
  • What WiFi channels & channel-width are in use?

For the last part of your post with the flashing colours, that sounds like you have simultaneously pressed the play/pause and volume-down button for a period and put it into diagnostic dump mode.

I would simply press and hold the rear power button for 5+ seconds until you hear the descending tones as it powers off.

Wait for 10+ seconds and then power it on again or simply return it to its charger and the lights should clear and the normal operation should return.