Answered

Move cuts in & out when grouped with Arc to listen to TV

• 17 September 2022
  • 29 replies

Badge

We recently upgraded our Playbar and Play 5 to an Arc and Sonos Move.

Previously we could group our Playbar and Play 5 and listen to TV sound with no issues. However, since upgrading to the Arc and Move, when we group them and play TV sound the Move cuts in and out constantly and is unlistenable.

We cant go back to our Play 5 setup as it is the original Play 5 which only works on the original Sonos app, not the upgraded version.

Extremely disappointed as we cannot use the Move for the reason we purchased it  >/

Diagnostic report: 1632836691

icon

Best answer by John B 18 September 2022, 11:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

29 replies

@jujiba 

Reading back through the thread here, it makes me think it’s ‘quite possibly’ the router, as that ‘brand’ is not particularly highly rated online, by all accounts - maybe the time has come to consider simply changing your router🤔?

It is absolutely not the case that the Move cannot be grouped to the Arc and work. I have done it.

If your router is capable of having separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz then it is possible to keep the Move on 2.4GHz.  In any case, Sonos is capable of having some devices on 2.4 and others on 5, although that depends on the router.

But I can understand why you would believe Sonos support rather then users on here. I hope you manage to resolve this issue.

@jujiba,

By the way the Move can be forced onto the 2.4Ghz band in some circumstances, if that band has a separate/different SSID to the 5Ghz band, or the router allows a user to manually select the band for a device, either via white/black-listing a device on a chosen network segment, or sometimes through its band-steering configuration. It depends on the router features available and device configuration. 

The 5Ghz band is faster, but is not as far reaching as the 2.4Ghz band, which also has better penetration through walls etc. (Sadly my own router does not cater for me to force it onto either band as everything is automatic and cannot be configured by a user, but many routers allow it).

(edit: Ah @John B beat me to it.)

An alternative solution would be to get a One SL to group with the Arc and a Roam for out and about. Wire a Sonos device to your router (get a Boost if necessary).

Just a suggestion.