Is My Roam Dead? Won't power on.

• 24 April 2021
  • 76 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

76 replies

Well, since reading all the comments and feedback about these issues online, I’m also starting to wonder if the new device will behave similarly. If it does, I will pursue a refund instead. I will reserve judgement until the new one arrives though, it could just be a case that there was of a bad batch of units (in which case it seems to be pretty wide spread and there probably should have been a recall)

Came back here to report maybe some positive news for other folks - I spent some time with Sonos support today, and they recommended a hard reset, which isn’t in the user guide… Hold the power button down for 12 seconds until the orange light turns back on. Wait a few moments and then see if you get the white light at the top back. If you do, check the app and see if it’s back online. This did the trick for me and now it’s working normally again! (Before I did this, I couldn’t get it to do anything outside of the orange light turning on when I plugged it in.)

Today I had the exact same issue and holding the power switch for 12 or 13 secs worked for me too. Thanks for sharing!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hi

The only way I really can get it to work is through Spotify Connect, the music plays stable  without issue. Please look at this confirmation number, and tell me why it works fine, Apple Music, Airplay and Bluetooth often  cuts off,  skips etc.  

1 5 4 5 2 5 7 2 0 3

If anyone is having trouble with the wireless charger, try removing ROAM from the charger, then remove power from the charger for a few seconds.

Badge

Hi!

I have exact the same issue. Did not start what ever I did. Just kept pushing the power button for 60 seconds ever hour and suddenly it just started. 

Now it works until power off, either automatic or manual. After that it does not start. Unless I do a 12 second long press of the power button. 

After that It will work until power off again. 

Cant get factory reset to work. (Play/pause and powerbutton). No lights will come on. 

My roam worked fine since they first came out I've owned it and a couple of weeks ago it wouldn’t turn on so I charged it directly from the charging cable instead of the wireless charger and it came on again. Just last week it shut off and now is completely unresponsive. I wonder if the speaker took a recent update that caused it to brick. I hope that Sonos checks in to a solution for this because none of the said solutions worked. $179 plus tax is a costly brick for sure.😠

Badge

@martinwesterstrand 

That sounds a little like a faulty button (possibly?). I would perhaps video your experience and also submit a Sonos diagnostic report and make a note of its reference. Then contact/chat to Sonos Support via this LINK.

Hope you get it sorted.👍

The button works just fine.

I’m completely confused by this device. I get it working after a struggle and then the next day it fails to connect to WiFi and Bluetooth. White and red lights are on and the app appears in my iPhone S2 controller but says “off line”. I held the button at the back for about a minute and the red light came on, then went off again. Then I held the button for about 30 seconds and the white and red light came on together - NB: at no time did the Roam chime. It is now working  - but for how long? Also, the controller stated that the charge was 85% but when I got Raom working again it states only 15% charge.   

I think this new product has gremlins that Sonos need to work through and support this forum by giving advice.

Hi

The only way I really can get it to work is through Spotify Connect, the music plays stable  without issue. Please look at this confirmation number, and tell me why it works fine, Apple Music, Airplay and Bluetooth often  cuts off,  skips etc.  

1 5 4 5 2 5 7 2 0 3

You will need to speak to Sonos Support Staff to get your diagnostic looked at. You should be able to contact them via this link: https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

I had the same issue, had to send it back. Powered on and connected once, the first time I used it. After that it bricked, the very next day. Tried everything, got absolutely no where.

Thank you. I just needed to be more patient. First, it needed to charge more. Second, after performing a hard reset (with no feedback that anything happened other than the orange light blinked instead of remaining illuminated) it took several minutes for it to reconnect and for the white light to turn on. It is now working again and shows up in the app. Not sure how the charge ran out considering it was left plugged into the charger.

Same problem as other posts - suddenly stops playing. Attach to power and could only see orange light at ‘foot’ of speaker. I had success with the ‘hard reset’ as described above. If it does it again, it’s going back. 

Not used it for a couple of weeks, tried turning it on and nothing. Charged for 15 mins,  orange light shows but can't get it to power on. Hard reset without power cable results in the solid orange light showing then fades. Does this sound similar to others experience? 

Same issue here. Have had the Roam for less than a month and it’s completely dead. Same symptoms as everyone seems to experience. No response at all to power button. Solid orange light when connected to power via USB. Missing from my app. Bought this one for travel and never even got to use it before it became an overpriced paperweight. 

Depends on your charging option, mostly. What power source are you using to charge it? Are you using a direct connection via USB C, or are you using a Qi charger? What’s the voltage/amperage of that power supply?

Have you updated to the latest version of S2?
Have you tried a factory reset of the device?
Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

Badge

The button works just fine.

So why the difficulty starting/resetting it etc? My Grandson (12yrs) has the Roam and he has no issues with his device buttons, they all work perfectly, exactly as described in this YT video…

If you read the thread you will see that others also have issues with the device being “bricked”. Meaning not responding to anything. Not charging, buttons, resets etc. Suddenly the device starts to work and everything works just fine. For me the Roam will not start(efter normals standby mode or manual standby) without a reset using the fully functional power button for 12+ seconds. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

OMG!!! Surely, they are going to say that is Wireless interference, as always. Sonos technical support here in Mexico almost always is unresponsive, so let’s see what they tell me. 
Anyways, thamks for all your kind help, I appreciate it   

I have 2 Roams (paired), both are now dead.  All current on S2 etc..  Cant’ reset them using the hard reset process.  No go.  Very disappointed.  Calling support tomorrow to see what they say.  Both worked fine until pulled off of the recharge platforms and used remotely until they ran out of juice … once the battery expired… they crapped out and never came back.   I’m a big Sonos customer (and fan) and I must say this product is a big negative customer experience and needs a major look at or upgrade/exchange.

I’m facing similar issue, my Sonos Roam wouldn’t turn on after hours of charging. Frustratingly, this is the second issue that i’m experiencing with Sonos Roam.

The first issue is my Idevice (Iphone) unable to pair with Sonos Roam, when the Roam is brought back active from sleep mode. 

Due to such persistent issues, I think of scrapping my sonos Roam. 

OMG!!! Surely, they are going to say that is Wireless interference, as always. Sonos technical support here in Mexico almost always is unresponsive, so let’s see what they tell me. 
Anyways, thamks for all your kind help, I appreciate it   

It might well be wireless interference as Airplay etc uses the audio via your controller device, whereas playing via the Sonos App is a different route altogether and audio is sent direct to the speaker from the source, so wireless interference would explain what you’re seeing. It’s why I suggested you try the Roam on the 2.4Ghz band using a non-overlapping channel (1, 6, or 11) and a channel-width of 20Mhz only… that should hopefully sort it.🤞

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Maybe I’m not being clear, I know when my Roam runs out of battery, the light gets blinking orange, and charging solid orange. What I mean is: Sometimes, not always, my Sonos Roam device gets a 3 or 4 seconds solid orange light in the lower front LED of the device before turning on, specially after being fully charged and unplogged from power, and then it works normal. I’ll need to make a video demonstration so you can understand me better, but it seems I can’t. Anyways, being from Mexico, Sonos technical  Support is unresponsive and unhelpful, quite disappointed by the way. 
Is my unit geting faulty? Do I need an other replacement? In advanse thanks a lot        

Maybe I’m not being clear, I know when my Roam runs out of battery, the light gets blinking orange, and charging solid orange. What I mean is: Sometimes, not always, my Sonos Roam device gets a 3 or 4 seconds solid orange light in the lower front LED of the device before turning on, specially after being fully charged and unplogged from power, and then it works normal. I’ll need to make a video demonstration so you can understand me better, but it seems I can’t. Anyways, being from Mexico, Sonos technical  Support is unresponsive and unhelpful, quite disappointed by the way. 
Is my unit geting faulty? Do I need an other replacement? In advanse thanks a lot        

I see the same Amber battery light aswell sometimes, so I guess it’s a ‘by design’ feature and nothing to worry about.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Sadly, Mine is on its way back to Best Buy. I tried everything to resurrect it. Nothing worked. 

My Sonos ROAM has exactly the same problem. After a month of usage, it does not get charged at all. Tried various USB chargers even 5V/2A (10W) charger. Please note these were not wireless chargers. Tried charging through laptop’s USB port too

It just shows the orange light for a sec or two; then goes blank. Sometimes if I disconnect and reconnect the USB charger, it shows orange light lit up for about two secs; then blinks orange once or twice and then goes blank.

Battery does not hold charge at all earlier when it worked. Hardly lasted a day on standby.

I have some 8 SONOS speakers including ARC. This is the worst Sonos speaker I ever had. Unfortunately, I have ordered one more Roam which I am yet to open. Wonder if I should return both!

I have the same issue.  Very deceived of that unit.  It didn’t last a year !!!!!

I have 2 Roams (paired), both are now dead.  All current on S2 etc..  Cant’ reset them using the hard reset process.  No go.  Very disappointed.  Calling support tomorrow to see what they say.  Both worked fine until pulled off of the recharge platforms and used remotely until they ran out of juice … once the battery expired… they crapped out and never came back.   I’m a big Sonos customer (and fan) and I must say this product is a big negative customer experience and needs a major look at or upgrade/exchange.

My Roams can both be off their charger for literally several weeks and they still work okay. Each one powers on immediately when returned to its charger - I keep the battery and WiFi power-saver features enabled at all times, so if I forget to power them off, or put them into standby, they switch off by themselves.

I have had them since the Roam first came out. I would have thought if there is a light showing, then the battery is able to be recharged, but maybe needs a 5v/3A (15w) USB-C charger to help kick it back into life.