Why is there input delay on line-in and digital inputs?

• 13 December 2022
  • 32 replies

Show first post

32 replies

There may be solution for you in the attached thread - I have not tried it out, but it seems to work.

https://en.community.sonos.com/speakers-228992/sonos-5-line-only-no-delay-6872736?postid=16607951#post16607951

Thanks, that might work. I already found that thread earlier. As the thread has been closed, no one knows if this is a legit usecase that works for everyone. I might go to a local store to try this. But it should not have to be this difficult and unreliable. 

If Sonos is not made for external instruments, why have a line in? If you want line in only for streaming purpose with delay, there is a Sonos Port for that.

To clarify just this: The line in is to allow an external audio source such as a turntable to play via Sonos without having to invest in a Port to get just that capability.

You are absolutely right. I’ve used a wrong usecase example. The vinyl usecase is actually thrown around a lot in threads about line-in in combination with delay. Though, why does Sonos not offer pre-amp functionality if their sole purpose for the line-in is suposed to be for vinyl. Now that would be user friendly! 

My best guess is that they don’t remove the delay in standalone to ‘force’ people to buy an amp or soundbar instead of hooking up their Five’s via line-out on their tv’s. 

I’d love it if Sonos would just honestly tell us the delay in standalone situations is here to stay and will never be removed because they just don’t want to. I could finally have peace 😉

Use case:

Playing Line-In on Five in your bedroom with no delay.  You leave the bedroom and wish to shift the music to kitchen while you make your coffee.  You either have to:

• Delay the shift, resulting in a drop off.
  • Put up with stuttering as the buffer builds up

Neither of which are the seamless Sonos experience.  Question answered.  Go buy the Denon.

Stop referring to a “digital input”.  The only Sonos devices with digital inputs are soundbars made for TV.  The others (Port, Amp, Five) are all analog inputs.

As to “The delay can be added as soon as needed: when streaming from or to other (grouped/stereo) speakers.”, you do know you can switch from a single speaker to a group of up to 32 speakers with a tap of the controller?  So how are you going to magically add a 75 ms buffer to that “standalone” stream without stopping the music?  The music playing seamlessly when grouping and ungrouping is part of the Sonos experience, stopping the music to build up a buffer is not.  

I specifically refer to my Sonos Amp which DOES have a digital AND analog input. It’s called HDMI and there is also a HDMI to optical dongle. And since the Amp is cleary made for a Hifi experience, why not offer Hifi-like 0 delay experience. 

And to answer your question: when I group I have to hold the play button and it takes ~2 seconds and and a confirmation ‘bleep’ before the device starts playing. So I guess it would not be that big of a problem that IF a standalone device is playing at 0 delay (because it’s plugged in via an analog or digital input), it would simply play a 75ms ‘bleep’ to confirm and to masquarade a pause. Heck, you wouldn’t even hear it if you are in a other room pressing the group button on a other device.

And to get back to a proposed solution using a Five; Since there have been no answers, I think no one knows if the Play:5 / Five standalone ‘workaround’ by disabling network connection actually works for everyone, or if it was just a bug.  

I specifically refer to my Sonos Amp which DOES have a digital AND analog input. It’s called HDMI and there is also a HDMI to optical dongle. And since the Amp is cleary made for a Hifi experience, why not offer Hifi-like 0 delay experience. 

And to answer your question: when I group I have to hold the play button and it takes ~2 seconds and and a confirmation ‘bleep’ before the device starts playing. So I guess it would not be that big of a problem that IF a standalone device is playing at 0 delay (because it’s plugged in via an analog or digital input), it would simply play a 75ms ‘bleep’ to confirm and to masquarade a pause. Heck, you wouldn’t even hear it if you are in a other room pressing the group button on a other device.

That’s a function of the long press on the play button, not the actual grouping.  If you group via the app, as most do, grouping is almost instantaneous and there is no ‘bleep’.  

And to get back to a proposed solution using a Five; Since there have been no answers, I think no one knows if the Play:5 / Five standalone ‘workaround’ by disabling network connection actually works for everyone, or if it was just a bug.  

It’s been answered before; the Five will have the delay regardless of the network connectivity.  The person claiming otherwise was just wishful thinking.  

Bottom line, if you need live performance type response, Sonos is not fit for purpose.  Find something else. 

My best guess is that they don’t remove the delay in standalone to ‘force’ people to buy an amp or soundbar instead of hooking up their Five’s via line-out on their tv’s. 

Again, from regular actual use, of a TV wired via its audio out jacks to a Connect and thence to an amp and via ethernet wire to other Sonos units: I see no intrusive delay even when I look for it, and grouped play when needed is very reliable. Many people do see the delay, I do not, so YMMV.

The ethernet wire is to ensure stable music play; nothing to do with delay.

@John B that’s actually one of the best explanations I’ve read thusfar. Instead of people saying it isn’t possible for reason x or y. 

I guess I’m just kind of hooked to the Sonos experience and sound. That’s why I would love it to also work for my other musical endeavours. 

If this makes any sense: it feels like having a 4 lane road paved and ready for use, but only allowing all people to drive on 1 single lane.