UK Price Rises

Userlevel 2
I was very disappointed to be informed of the Sonos price rises in the UK. Although the dollar rate is blamed it doesn't account for why the products are much cheaper in some countries? £100 rise on the Sub and Playbar is just too much. I am very lucky that my system is now pretty complete but think UK sales will suffer

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

142 replies

I'm a huge fan of Sonos products, but a price hike is a mistake. Sonos prices are now in the realm of the Bluesound Node 2 which quick frankly blows Sonos out of the water as it streams in Hi-res, something sadly lacking in Sonos products. I agree with Tim, UK sales are bound to suffer.
Currency exchange price increases are getting more common with the GBP rate etc (and some Brexit excuses elsewhere too) BUT the USD to GBP has changed 20cents in the last year. That's 14%. Sonos have just increased some of the range by 25%. Good excuse................
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
That's what you get when you Brexit.
Likewise, glad I have that I want and need now.
This could be a busy and popular topic.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I think it's encouraging that Sonos have decided to match their pricing to the exchange rates, personally I'll be waiting a few months for the massive price drop. That is how it works now? :8
Absolutely outrageous! I wanted a couple of more Play3s in a couple of months time, I'll be looking elsewhere now. With price rises around 20% to 25% I think Sonos are committing business suicide! Why such huge increases?
Really dissapointed Sonos is jumping on the Brexit band wagon as an excuse to raise prices. Sonos will not be top of my list when it comes time to upgrade.
Exploitation, no other words required!
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
I can understand the need for a price rise but £70 on a Play:5 is just too much, it's good but it's not worth £500! £700 for a Soundbar with no HDMI inputs is ridiculous :?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sonos just added £100 to a 4 year old bit of kit, that is absolute business suicide.

The exchange rate was 1.5 back in Feb 2013 when the playbar was launched. Today's exchange rate is 1.25 - that does not equate to an extra £100!

This will go down in history. Almost comical.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Where's Ratty & Jgatie to celebrate the price rise and say how good it is? Lol. 😉
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Where's Ratty & Jgatie to celebrate the price rise and say how good it is? Lol. ;)
Only 2 replies and already up to speed about forum members? If ever I saw a sock puppet spammer...
Before brexit pound to euro 1.40
Now exchange rate 1.17

Edited by Max P due to profanity.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Love Sonos but this is frankly nuts, the UK already paid a hefty premium for Sonos kit. The competitive landscape has evolved over the last 2 years, Sonos makes nice kit and has a great UI but was already frothy price wise. This will just kill the market for them. Shame
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
For information, link to the new pricing structure:
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4252
I welcome the price rise, as I am totally fed up with constant problems with the Sonos kit so will be selling the lot and moving to Bose. The higher prices mean my 2nd hand kit is worth just a little more 🙂 It's a shame Sonos have not sorted all the problems that you read so much about on this forum, before adding a hefty premium to already overpriced kit.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Where's Ratty & Jgatie to celebrate the price rise and say how good it is? Lol. ;)
Only 2 replies and already up to speed about forum members? If ever I saw a sock puppet spammer...

You know who they are then. Lol. They are out celebrating at the Sonos Price Rise Party - you were not invited it seems.:D
Userlevel 2
Badge
Enjoy the brexit dickheads.
Now exchange rate 1.17

Pound to Euro was 1.14 in 2013 We are currently above that, and more in line with 2014.

go educate yourself.
Utter joke, SONOS make some great kit but some of the decisions the management board make are amateurish. Personally that's me done with them, I am thankfully not far into my home SONOS fit but will move to other products now and sell up. I get currency conversions but we are not stupid, £100 on a dated and poor featured soundbar!!! Old tech should go down not up. I would understand if you were charging the new price for a new soundbar with DTS and Atmos. The % rises don't reflect currency rises nor the equivalent cost of the kit elsewhere in the world. Big mistake
Outrageous opportunism from Sonos anyone who pays these inflated prices needs there head examining. Rip off Britain again. I have 6 Sonos zones, bought over a few years, but no more. Bye bye Sonos, all your missing is a mask! I suggest anyone who gets the email click the unsubscribe link.
Enjoy the brexit dickheads.
Now exchange rate 1.17

Pound to Euro was 1.14 in 2013 We are currently above that, and more in line with 2014.

go educate yourself.

Maybe so but the point is Brexit is being used as an excuse by companies like Sonos to hike prices up for consumers, only way to respond to them is to vote with your feet and boycott their products.
Please guys, have a look of this, and after tell your opinion about if it is an excuse or not.
Pound-USD (average rate per year)
Year 2014: 1.6477
Year 2016: 1.3556
Year 2017: 1.2388
Userlevel 2
Badge

Now exchange rate 1.17

go educate yourself.

Maybe so but the point is Brexit is being used as an excuse by companies like Sonos to hike prices up for consumers, only way to respond to them is to vote with your feet and boycott their products.

I quite agree - businesses are using Brexit and the exchange rate with the USA as an excuse to hike prices. And the forecasts for the pound and dollar is for this to improve - you can bet Sonos will not put prices back down when they do.

However, the fact is most retailers are adding 10% onto their prices; but Sonos, as ever, want to portray themselves as luxury so they buck the trend and put their products up by 20%.

It's as if the marketing team still think it's 1990. Consumers have more information at hand these days, consumers are more savvy, it's suicide.
Userlevel 2
You are quite right but when the Playbar was launched in February 2013 the rate was 1.51, There was no reduction in price to reflect 2014 price. In addition Sonos knocked £30 off some products at Christmas when rate was worse than now. It is I am afraid poor opportunism
Userlevel 2
Badge
Please guys, have a look of this, and after tell your opinion about if it is an excuse or not.
Pound-USD (average rate per year)
Year 2014: 1.6477
Year 2016: 1.3556
Year 2017: 1.2388

In the retail world, old products (such as the Playbar which is 4 years old this month) depreciate in cost. That is how retail works.

Old, in retail is 12 months.

Even with poor exchange rates, there is no justification in a 20% hike.