Recommended music - other than classical and pop

I am not sure there is a thread on what Sonos is truly about - the music, so this might be an interesting thread. I have left out classical because that deserves a thread of its own and modern pop because it all sounds the same to me.
I have Phil Keaggy strumming Solitude from his Acoustic Sketches album right now in the bedroom on a play 1 pair and sounding very good indeed.
Recently heard and equally good music and mastering:
1. Michel Petrucciani and NHOP
2. Beyond the Missouri Sky - Metheny and Haden
3. Chiaroscuro - Fresu and Towner
4. Jan Johannsen - Jazz pa Svenska
5. The Astounding Eyes of Rita - Anouar Brahem
6. Last Dance/Jasmine - Jarrett and Haden
7. Saturday Morning - Ahmad Jamal
8. Melos - Paolo Fresu
All but the last are ITunes 256kbps purchases, the last a lossless CD rip.
Very little lost in translation for the lossy thing and Sonos convenience.
Any recommendations on similar music that uses the silence between the notes effectively?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

333 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Cheers - Will search it out and give it a try
Again in play the double album, Now's the time/Something in Common: Houston Person and Ron Carter. Some stolen sentences say it all:
"Some of the best jazz I've heard--just bass and saxophone by two masters. It's simple but beautiful and each song sends happy chills up your spine. Just listen to the amazing minor melody in "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most," the soulfulness of "Since I Fell for You," and the great interplay and humor of "Mack the Knife."
Both are together on Just between Friends, and the 2016 recording Chemistry as well, but this double album captures them at their best together.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Sadly away from my system but will check it out later. Good to hear of other's discoveries!
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Sorry if this is slightly off topic but check out this article

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/19/slave-to-the-algorithm-how-music-fans-can-reclaim-their-playlists-from-spotify

Lots of alternative angles and suggestions by this guy Ben Ratliff. His book 'Every Song Ever' is a good read which leads to a lot of interesting explorations. I have no connections to the guy but can highly recommend the book and his thinking and musical connections
Interesting, thank you. Somehow I have never developed an attachment for the ready made playlists available in their hundreds on Apple Music, preferring instead to build my own from albums available there.

Badge
Tribal Tech - Face First
Badge
Ex-Wise Heads, celestial disclosure. Very chilled
Badge
The Section
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
This is a great thread. TY @Kumar and all the other participants.

This is removed from what I usually listen to (downtempo/ chill/ electronic and classical) so I am looking forward to exploring!

Userlevel 1
Badge
Very good thread cheers Kumar! Discovering great new music worth your ear is time consuming and this thread just cuts to the chase. I hope Sonos makes a way to share/ export playlist from its app, meanwhile here's a playlist:

Great thread thanks for all the recommendations!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
OK. Now that all the excitement/disappointment (delete as applicable) re the latest Sonos developments has been announced can we get back to what the system is designed for - the music? Any new recommendations/discoveries out there?
Not new, but an old favorite, a true classic, conjured up by voice command!

Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Yes Chicks - Know it well - a classic. Still have it on cd (stored in a box in the attic ! ) I tried - but voice command failed to wake it up.! 😠 I blame Sonos. They should have anticipated this surely!!

Anything else from anyone?
There is so much from Oscar Peterson, that it isn't easy to pick his best. My personal preferences include his We Get Requests album, and the 4-5 albums recorded at a residence in Germany, all titled Exclusively For My Friends, with sub titles and volume numbers distinguishing each album in the set.

For a different time/mood, Joe Bonamassa, with Different Shades of Blue as an excellent introduction to his work.
My idea of "smooth jazz". Can't abide the Kenny G. kind...

Clifford Brown, a huge talent sadly cut down in his prime.

Kenny G I can only abide in elevators of buildings that aren't too tall.

As to JJ it took me a while to discover his work and thus how good trombone can be in the jazz idiom. There are some good John Allred albums as well - a good introduction is In the Beginning.
This kid never ceases to amaze.

A third release already? I must search it out. Monk isn't easy to interpret well.
PS: Glorious. My first purchase on iTunes this year, some albums merit more than just being available for streaming when necessary.
Where does he go from here, given that he is just 14?!
Allen Toussaint, a recent discovery. His version of St James Infirmary from his album The Bright Mississippi is a good way to start the listening, but there are no duds on the entire album. Highly recommended.
Been addicted to Ernie Watts' Classic Moods. Such a fantastic sax and piano album.