Answered

Resolved: Problems with Sonos Alarms for 12/31/16 - Updates Inside

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
As of this morning, there is currently an issue with Sonos alarms unable to be turned off. We're working on getting this resolved, but for now, any alarm scheduled to include Saturday the 31st will start playing immediately and cannot be stopped unless disabled again.

We’re sorry for the trouble and our teams are hard at work to resolve this. We'll post updates here as soon they become available.

In the meantime, if you have an alarm set for tomorrow that is going off and can't be stopped, you'll want to go into your Sonos controller and select Alarms. Then, disable any alarms scheduled daily or including Saturday. If disabling the alarms doesn't do it, deleting the alarm will.

Once that's done, you can stop your music as normal.
icon

Best answer by John M 31 December 2016, 02:20

Earlier today we discovered a bug in how some Sonos players interpret leap year dates, resulting in unexpected behavior for alarms set through your Sonos speakers. We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Until the end of the day on January 1st, 2017, alarms set on Sonos may trigger on the wrong days or times, not trigger at the time you set, or repeatedly loop / not turn off.

For the rest of this weekend, we recommend you disable any existing alarms. If your alarm is going off and can’t be silenced, disable the alarm and then stop the music. You’ll find instructions for alarms here.

After the 1st of January, we expect all alarms will resume their normal behavior. You have our commitment that we will fix this bug in a future update.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

182 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
So I can't beleive Sonos haven't rush released a new software update which could have had no testing at all for a bug that is 24-hours old. A bug that only requires the deleting of alarms to resolve (or unplugging), and will resolve itself in under 48-hours. After removing alarms 99% of the functionality of the device is 100% working.
For those of you wondering how you will manage without your sonos alarm may I suggest one of the following:
- your phone
- your computer
- your tablet
- your watch/i-watch/fitbit/garmin/slinky
- your alarm clock (you know the one beside your bed)
- heck even my TV has an alarm function
- or how about stay up all night complaining on the internet about nothing major.

What it did make me think is that my oldest zone player is over 10-years old, still working every day, still up to date (of course we all want more features), and the system I bought into is still available and current. How many other whole systems have come and gone in that time? I can count the number of hardware failures on the fingers on no hands - zero. 4*ZP100s, 1*ZP80, Play 5, 4*Play 1s, Play bar, sub, boost & I think I forgot one. All still working.

OK the alarm thing is a minor nuisance, I use them everyday to wake the house with music but no big deal.

And to cap it off when I had spanning tree issue (not sonos fault but a new draytek router with known STP issues) the support team helped me configure my netgear smart swtich to make up for the Draytek router even though all Sonos stuff out of warranty.

May I take this opporutnity to thank Sonos for over 10-years of audio, the best system on the planet and the best support team. I wish them a happy New Year and look forward to an update that resolves a minor gremlin when it has been through due testing.

Thanks
Dave.
Badge +3
Earlier today we discovered a bug in how some Sonos players interpret leap year dates, resulting in unexpected behavior for alarms set through your Sonos speakers. We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

Until the end of the day on January 1st, 2017, alarms set on Sonos may trigger on the wrong days or times, not trigger at the time you set, or repeatedly loop / not turn off.

For the rest of this weekend, we recommend you disable any existing alarms. If your alarm is going off and can’t be silenced, disable the alarm and then stop the music. You’ll find instructions for alarms here.

After the 1st of January, we expect all alarms will resume their normal behavior. You have our commitment that we will fix this bug in a future update.
Userlevel 2
Max - Check out the rest of the Community. I have 40+ brothers and sisters experiencing the same. The system finally turns off if you delete - not disable - all of the alarms. Await response from you tec people. You have a bug.

Seems that Sonus starts Saturday's (31/12) alarm instead of Friday's (30/12) at least for me. So instead of deleting all alarms try to delete alarm for Saturday (for me just disabling it worked fine). Looks like it confuses dates and kicks off alarm 24 hrs earlier then it should and can't turn it off. Also other people played around with changing dates.
Userlevel 2
And so in being entirely practical...

I've changed the date back by a couple of weeks so alarms work and will adjust it forwards next week sometime. This is IMHO the easiest workaround to keep things running.

As for the Sonos reaction to this issue, Changing code carries risks and could see faults added as well as removed. This is why god invented regression testing in my line of work 🙂. given its New Year, because Sonos have a broadly impeccable pedigree, and because the fault has a workaround or two, I for one choose to wish everyone including Sonos a Happy New Year and relax.

Big Vern.
For 31 years I have awoken to my beautiful wife beside me, this morning my wife was not. I noticed that I couldn't shut the alarm off when i finally awoke (heavy sleeper). I came downstairs and checked my house alarm to see if my wife had left the house sometime in the morning, she had not. It turns out she had to sleep in another room in our house, as the alarm was keeping her up when she couldn't shut it off. I had purchased several Sonos product for family, encouraging them to use their gift as alarms, for their daily lives. Technology is not an easy sell in this house hold, we just adopted Sonos into our house hold as of, late this year. I deleted the alarms and it seems to have fixed the issue, for now. A huge thanx for the community feedback as i would have never realized how to address the issue. i haven't dropped anything from a second story window in over three decades, although today, it was a consideration.
Userlevel 1
I found a small workaround on another one of the forum posts relating to this, which was to disable setting of time from the Internet and set the date a week into the future. So rather than the date being set as Friday 30/12/16 it's set to Friday 06/01/17. This then allows the alarms to still be enabled but to be stopped when needed. Obviously once a proper fix is released by Sonos then set the time back from the Internet again.
Userlevel 1
Badge
My wife's just walked out.

When I shouted at her for screwing up my Sonos system she lost it. She had suggested the software may be buggy. I told her 'Sonos is way more reliable than you princess and this random 'on/off' behaviour is YOUR FAULT!'

Anyway she has gone. I'm going to wait until 2nd January just in case it really is her fault rather than Sonos. In the unlikely event it is a Sonos bug they need to find me a new wife!

Just saying.
You don't have to delete the alarms. Just toggle the on/off button in the Sonos app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Our apologies again for the abrupt morning everyone. We're working to get this issue of unstoppable alarms fixed right now. If you have one still going, go to Alarms and disable any alarm that would start today or tomorrow (including daily alarms). Then, you can stop your music as normal. If disabling the alarm doesn’t do the trick, deleting them entirely will.

We’ll let you all know as soon as this has been resolved entirely.
Nice one Dave. And in fact it only takes a temporary change to the Sonos system date to resolve things anyway (or at least it did for me). Thanks for some perspective.
Bravo Dave, I echo your thoughts, very well said. I think it's a no brainer that Sonos will, just wait this one out and resolve it permanently sometime in the new year, for future leap years, in the meantime, the issue will resolve itself come January 2nd. I for one will certainly toast Sonos and all the good people who represent a truly great product, come the strike of midnight.

Cheers to all
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I must agree with Dave. Unlike much of the technology that is around, Sonos keeps working. When there are problems (mostly not Sonos in origin), they are generally easy to fix. Mostly it just does what I want and expect without my having to pay any attention to it.
My wife's just walked out.

When I shouted at her for screwing up my Sonos system she lost it. She had suggested the software may be buggy. I told her 'Sonos is way more reliable than you princess and this random 'on/off' behaviour is YOUR FAULT!'

Anyway she has gone. I'm going to wait until 2nd January just in case it really is her fault rather than Sonos. In the unlikely event it is a Sonos bug they need to find me a new wife!

Just saying.

If you're serious, she should have walked out on that attitude years ago. Just sayin'.
Glad to read I am not alone. Woke up Dec 29 or 30 unable to stop my music alarm. I'd heat pause only for it to restart. I'd delete queue only for it to reappear. I reset the controller, but to no avail. Finally I just unclicked the alarm and now my controller works as expected. I blame the Russians!🆒
Userlevel 1
The alarms are not stopping even if you remove the alarms, remove the radio station and even remove the app. Currently the only way of shutting it up is to let it run but turn the sound down. as soon as you try to make any changes it returns to the play-time alarm settings. 😠
Just stumbled in here....confirming deleting alarms finally stopped speakers as well.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I haven't been to the Sonos forum in many years...I've had my Sonos setup for, hm, at least 10 years? This morning my alarm started going nuts, my CR-100 (still used daily) wouldn't turn it off, a reboot didn't help, and I immediately remembered this forum...I used to post here a lot, back in the beta testing days (I think I had a different username back then). I wasn't surprised at all to read that Sonos are working on it. This is one of the best pieces of tech I've ever owned, I think. Certainly the longest lasting. A few hiccups over the years maybe, but Sonos has outlasted even a lot of my household appliances....thanks in advance for catching/fixing the problem!
Userlevel 4
Badge
This can't be so difficult. Sonos, you must have changed something this morning. Just undo this.

No, it's been in the software for a while, but only manifested itself today. Possibly due to this year being a leap year.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
BTW, if you are doing the manual clock reset trick, I'd suggest the year 2011. December in 2011 and 2016 began on the same day of the week. Using that year should make alarm/day alignment work correctly.
Userlevel 1
Max - Check out the rest of the Community. I have 40+ brothers and sisters experiencing the same. The system finally turns off if you delete - not disable - all of the alarms. Await response from you tec people. You have a bug.
Badge
I can confirmed I suffered the issue, came across this thread before I was to contact support, did what it said and deleted alarms and now peace and quiet! ahhhhhh. I thought it was going crazy and I was going loopy, literally tried everything before I turned to support, which I looked sooner.

Does the problem go away if I recreate the alarms from new? Alarms are really important on my sonos and can't really do without if possible.

I suppose I could use the feature on my phone but really dont want to if I can help it. love waking up to my random playlist!
This started with me at midnight last night. Could not stop the music, but was able to by disabling the alarm. Another alarm on a different unit failed to start this morning, but once started, same problem and the midnight alarm started again. Solution here was to disable all alarms. did not have to delete them.
Well the alarm was the culprit. Now I had the alarm set for Sat, but it started playing today friday. Turning the alarm off stops it coming on automatically, but this means I do not have the alarm set when I want it 😞 Any help Sonos folks - this happened after the update today
It is my player 1 that has taken over my Sonos with my Saturday and Sunday alarm and I can only stop it by taking the power. Diagnostic confirmation number 6941015.:S
Deleting all of the alarms (18 in my case) worked. First time in over 10 years I've had a Sonos bug, more than I can say for others software i use... Microsoft, Apple, etc...