Resolved: Outage - Spotify Unable to Play Music - Oct 21st

• 21 October 2016
  • 65 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
  • Community Manager
  • 11324 replies
There's been a wide scale attack on some Internet hosting services in the last day causing a number of issues around the world.

Currently, Spotify on Sonos is having some trouble with playback and connection as part of this. We're working with them on the issue and it's currently intermittent but we're actively monitoring it.

You may be unable to play Spotify on Sonos or songs might fail to play once started.

We're sorry for the trouble and will update you all when it's been resolved.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

65 replies

Spotify in general works fine though, just not through SONOS at the moment. Try different routes to access Spotify maybe?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Try different routes to access Spotify maybe?

They're working on something along these lines right now. The connection has been slowly improving, but it's not fixed yet. We're working with them on it.
Looking forward to it. Radio isn't that amazing
Promising, now a song starts at least, let´s hope it plays all the way through 🙂 Good work guys.
Wooohoo. Perfect. God damnit I love my Sonos 🙂
There's been a wide scale attack on some Internet hosting services in the last day causing a number of issues around the world.

Currently, Spotify on Sonos is having some trouble with playback and connection as part of this. We're working with them on the issue and it's currently intermittent but we're actively monitoring it.

You may be unable to play Spotify on Sonos or songs might fail to play once started.

We're sorry for the trouble and will update you all when it's been resolved.

WTF-- I bought your products because I was told they were the best. This outage with Spotify has been going on for 11 months and still is an issue. When are you going to rectify this and fix your systems. This is ridiculous for how much your customers have paid to buy your products. Please fix, and fix correctly ASAP!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey Bobertone, this outage started eariler today. If you've been having trouble with Spotify for a while we'd be happy to assist. Have you worked with our team previously?

After this outage is resolved if you're still having trouble please feel free to start up a new thread and let us know what's happening. You'll want to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and include the confirmation number in your post.

WTF-- I bought your products because I was told they were the best. This outage with Spotify has been going on for 11 months and still is an issue. When are you going to rectify this and fix your systems. This is ridiculous for how much your customers have paid to buy your products. Please fix, and fix correctly ASAP!!!!

You should probably read the thread before going off. This outage was caused by a cyber attack on the Dyn DNS servers. Nothing to do with Sonos whatsoever, though they are trying to rectify by routing through other routes. There has been no widespread Spotify outage for 11 months. If you have been experiencing an outage for that long, the problem is probably due to your own network, and you should submit a diagnostic to Sonos support the next time it happens.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Back up and running here in the Netherlands, been down the last few hours along with Elder Scrolls Online, the PSN store, plus a little hit and miss loading BBC news pages.

This problem is not exclusive to Spotify playback on Sonos.

http://gizmodo.com/this-is-probably-why-half-the-internet-shut-down-today-1788062835
Back up and running here in the Netherlands, been down the last few hours along with Elder Scrolls Online, the PSN store, plus a little hit and miss loading BBC news pages.

This problem is not exclusive to Spotify playback on Sonos.

http://gizmodo.com/this-is-probably-why-half-the-internet-shut-down-today-1788062835

Take credit from that some of us notice a general internet outage by losing our SONOS functionality 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
It's when the Mrs couldn't load Etsy that things turned real nasty in here 😉
It is still not working for me. Where can I find an update?
Any updates? Still down in UK
Dont want to speak too soon here but I've been able to play successfully off Spotify on both devices for about an hour now. Was a bit squirrely for ten mins of so near the start but so far so good.
If this holds, pass on our thanks to the hardworking infrastructure and support teams.
G
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
The outage was resolved as of early this morning European time.
If you are still seeing issues, please restart your router, followed by your Sonos devices in order to update DNS information.
Is there anything we as users need to worry about with respect to contributing to a DDOS attack? Is a Sonos system in the category of "The Internet of Things" like connected appliances, etc.?
Still not able to connect, While I did a restart of the router and Sonos.
I just send the diagnostics; 6671037.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Hey Glenn, welcome to the community.

Take another diagnostic right after the playback problem so the support guys get a good look at the error. Speaker has only been on 2 minutes prior to the diagnostic.

Your wireless looks decent, although channel 11 looks like it's getting shared with the folks next door, channel 1 looks empty in comparison.

KPN here, been running spotify well since early this morning.

All else fails, give the support team a call, they are back in full force Monday morning.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Is there anything we as users need to worry about with respect to contributing to a DDOS attack? Is a Sonos system in the category of "The Internet of Things" like connected appliances, etc.?

There is zero evidence to suggest that Sonos speakers were compromised. We'll continue to evaluate the data and let you know if we learn anything different.
"If you are still seeing issues, please restart your router, followed by your Sonos devices in order to update DNS information."

Want to make sure I'm doing this right...after I restart my router, how do I restart my Sonos devices? Just turn them off and turn them back on or something?
Can someone please help me?? I've tried restarting my router, and unplugged my Boost and speakers for a minute then plugged back in. Spotify is still having trouble connecting. It will play a song or two and then just stop and not connect. I submitted diagnostics. Here is the confirmation #: 6671389

PLEASE HELP. We are having a party today and relying on this new system working.
Badge
I am also having trouble with Spotify. I was able to listen to the service earlier this afternoon, but am now not able to listen to Spotify at all.
Hi, I'm still having trouble with spotify, it will usually play 1 or 2 songs then displays an 'connection to spotify was lost' message. I have tried deleting the spotify account, rebooting router and sonos equipment and then adding the spotify account back in but problems still persist. Diagnostic number is: 6680246.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi, I'm still having trouble with spotify, it will usually play 1 or 2 songs then displays an 'connection to spotify was lost' message. I have tried deleting the spotify account, rebooting router and sonos equipment and then adding the spotify account back in but problems still persist. Diagnostic number is: 6680246.

At this point it would best to get you on the phone to do some troubleshooting step by step. We may need to get in to a PC or Mac with remote assistance to investigate this further. You have a case with us ref. 161026-000150. http://www.sonos,com/contact next time you have some time to investigate this and quote that number to agent you speak to.

I am also having trouble with Spotify. I was able to listen to the service earlier this afternoon, but am now not able to listen to Spotify at all.
Hey Reggie_2, welcome to the community. Can you submit a diagnostic taken just after trying to play some Spotify? Post here with the number you get.
Badge
I'm finding Spotify unstable today, plays for a couple of songs then network lost issues