Question

Will the Controller App be simplified soon?

I had hoped the painfully un-user friendly app would have been updated by now, but no. I am still struggling to perform basic functions such as setting a playlist for an alternative room. I am no grey-haired imbecile nor a Luddite, and do not remember any app that I have had such difficulty to navigate. Can anyone confirm that it will be simplified soon?

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Navigation changes are expected sometime this month. No one knows when.
Fingers crossed that they've actually watched (and learned from) people trying to perform simple tasks this time. Some of the functionality is so counterintuitive that even after dozens of times, I still make the same mistakes. With other badly designed systems, you get used to the quirks and suffer them, but some of the stuff in the Sonos app is just so painfully wrong that you continue to make the same mistakes over and over again. I can't imagine how this thing ever got released.
The new app is almost unusable. Trying to switch rooms and music sources is almost impossible. I have spent several minutes trying to figure out how to do something that used to take 5 seonds. Whoever took over the app design has no idea what they are doing. Please fix it asap!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
just for now always remember swipe down the now playing screen.

Everyone feels a new version is imminent.
Thank you Chris!
I own 10 SONOS speakers in three rooms and I am continuously frustrated by the terrible App design. Why is it so difficult to select a room and a music source? Why can’t I share the sub between my surround sound and the two paired Play 5s in the same room? The Later question will be moved to a different thread if it doesn’t already exist.
Rayman 1 wrote:

I own 10 SONOS speakers in three rooms and I am continuously frustrated by the terrible App design. Why is it so difficult to select a room and a music source? Why can’t I share the sub between my surround sound and the two paired Play 5s in the same room? The Later question will be moved to a different thread if it doesn’t already exist.

Cannot agree with everyones comments more. I have 11 zones running. I love Sonos and was an early adapter. My wife just lost it the other day saying, "WHat the hell has Sonos done to this app? I cant find anything!!!" She's so pissed and so am I. The old app was fine. Could have been sexied up but this new one is horrible. Not sure why Sonos doesn't offer something like SalesForce has, the "Classic view" versus the new view where you could us the legacy control app.

Also, I just bought two Sonos One's. Anyone have any idea why they got rid of having the ability to use a screw in wall mount bracket like the Play 1. Big mistake in engineering.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Rayman 1 wrote:

Why can’t I share the sub between my surround sound and the two paired Play 5s in the same room? The Later question will be moved to a different thread if it doesn’t already exist.

That doesn't really have anything to do with the navigation. I assume you mean that you have two separate zones (happen to be same physical room) and you would like to easily and quickly move your sub between the two zones. Assigning the sub is semi permanent. You can remove it from one zone and add it another, but it is not quick and easy. I don't know if there is a technical reason for this, but it is a commonly asked for feature. You may be able to find some of the other threads about it, or start a new thread if you want to add your voice to highlight the issue again.

briadoug wrote:

Not sure why Sonos doesn't offer something like SalesForce has, the "Classic view" versus the new view where you could us the legacy control app.

The explanation I've heard is that Sonos wanted all users to have the same controller experience. I don't know if that's rumor or truth. I can see why Sonos does not want to have multiple options out there in terms of navigation and such, but I'd be in favor of giving the user multiple color options.

briadoug wrote:

Also, I just bought two Sonos One's. Anyone have any idea why they got rid of having the ability to use a screw in wall mount bracket like the Play 1. Big mistake in engineering.

Since the mics on the Sonos One are located on top, I would guess that Sonos did not want users to mount the unit high up on the wall where it would difficult for the mics to pick up sound. There are brackets available to mount the Sonos One though. I believe they are from Sanus.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
actually moving a sub from room to room is real easy in the new app.

If you have a sub in say kitchen and want to move it to dining room.

You go into settings...room...kitchen. There is a button to Unpair Sub. Click unpair sub and it will ask you if you want it to pair to a different room. Pick Dining Room. It will take about a minute and will now be paired with kitchen.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)