Feature Request: Allow Sonos speakers to connect to Different SSIDs on the same network.

• 3 October 2017
  • 6 replies

I have a fairly large home where the Wifi signal significantly weakens on one side of the house. To alleviate this I have set up access points in my home that do not use the same SSID for reasons beyond this conversation. I want to set up Sonos speakers all throughout my home, however I would need to be able to connect my speakers on the far side of my home to an access point with a different SSID in order to work properly. Placing a Boost centrally in the home is not an option due to the design.

Request: Allow Sonos speaker to connect to Access points that broadcast different SSIDs on different channels.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I thought it could already do this. The SSIDs could be different provided everything is on the same subnet, which shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe I am mistaken. Do the WAPs have DHCP disabled?
You could also look into upgrading your wifi to mesh network type setup instead of access points.
I thought it could already do this. The SSIDs could be different provided everything is on the same subnet, which shouldn't be an issue.

Maybe I am mistaken. Do the WAPs have DHCP disabled?

If this can already be done then please tell me how. I have not been able to find where I can program an individual speaker to connect to a different SSID.

You could also look into upgrading your wifi to mesh network type setup instead of access points.

I actually have looked into this and right now there are two things that are stopping from making this change. The first is simply cost. I have invested quite a bit of money in very good quality Routers and APs which will last years to come. The second is latency. Mesh networks are great but at the heart of them they are simply wireless repeaters with added functionality. This can create a lot of latency in a network depending on the number and signal strength of the mesh components. I have a 1 Gig fiber connection coming into my home with a ton of streaming happening, and the Router/AP architecture allows me to maintain a lot of that throughput. I'm open to other experiences and opinions though as I have no real world experience with a mesh network.

Thanks,
Sasan
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Have you switched the Sonos speakers to use their own mesh network. Each speaker acts as a repeater for other speakers.
If you have not yet got any speakers, buy two and try them in differing locations.
Oops. As I have always run in Boost mode It has only been an issue for controllers for me. So I shall change my question. Have you tried making the SSIDs identical?
I don't know what kind of access points you are using or now much network wiring is available, but you can use multiple BOOST's. Some access points can share a network port with BOOST. One point to note is that BOOST's network ports are 10/100.