Doorbell Interrupt/Resume

• 1 July 2016
  • 4 replies

Badge
Sonos has the option for an audio interrupt but there is no option for a resume playback. I would love to see this feature be implemented so that when I am listening to music outside or if I am inside and the music is loud, the volume will either cutt off and play the chime, then resume, or it would significantly lower the volume and play the doorbell notification similar to using maps on an iPhone when playing music.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

People have been asking about it for years. Sonos does not understand this idea and therefore will not do the mp3 injection option. The problem is that if you start to play some mp3 through device API then you will not resume the playlist.

When integrating with home automation, there are a lot of ideas you can do by injecting sounds into the currently playing music.
People have been asking about it for years. Sonos does not understand this idea and therefore will not do the mp3 injection option. The problem is that if you start to play some mp3 through device API then you will not resume the playlist.

When integrating with home automation, there are a lot of ideas you can do by injecting sounds into the currently playing music.

This is a common application with automation systems that communicate with Sonos via UPnP. They will pause the music and take a snapshot of where you are, change the groupings for announce mode, make the announcement, restore the original grouping , and then resume playback from the point that it was paused. I don't know why folks keep asking for it since it has been available for years.

This is a common application with automation systems that communicate with Sonos via UPnP. They will pause the music and take a snapshot of where you are, change the groupings for announce mode, make the announcement, restore the original grouping , and then resume playback from the point that it was paused. I don't know why folks keep asking for it since it has been available for years.

Your suggestion is a workaround. The option of injecting music should be native, with a quick response and a nice crossfade.

Your suggestion is a workaround. The option of injecting music should be native, with a quick response and a nice crossfade.

I guess I don't see how it can be native without some sort of interface for Sonos to know it needs to inject something. There is no input on Sonos for a doorbell or other detector to trigger an announcement or inject music. You need an automation system to provide that trigger interface so the logic might as well live there as well. All Sonos needs to do is provide a good API for the automation system to talk to which is UPnP. Sonos also has a new API out but I don't know if it will support this type of application.