Question

A huge step backward--what are you guys thinking?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
Is the new community your idea of an improvement? It is anything but an improvement. Several important threads I started have lost content. When I try and type a response, I can't see the entire response I am creating--it only allows me to see a couple of lines at a time.

I am a long-time Sonos user, and I feel that I have been slapped in the face. Sonos no longer has my endorsement.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

280 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8
... petty whining ...
Yes. Petty whining.

Not to mention constantly complaining that Sonos doesn't enact a technically unsupportable, financially unviable policy of developing, maintaining, and allowing for release every software version ever made going back over a decade in order to placate the wishes of a tiny fraction of its users who want to remain frozen in time but not lose any functionality, while still being able to add new devices. This insane request has nothing to do with not liking a support site, and has everything to do with . . . (now saying it a third time) - Petty whining!
Do as I say, not as I do.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
... constantly complaining ...
Yes. Petty whining.

Not to mention constantly complaining that Sonos doesn't enact a technically unsupportable, financially unviable policy of developing, maintaining, and allowing for release every software version ever made going back over a decade in order to placate the wishes of a tiny fraction of its users who want to remain frozen in time but not lose any functionality, while still being able to add new devices. This insane request has nothing to do with not liking a support site, and has everything to do with . . . (now saying it a third time) - Petty whining!

Not even a remotely accurate description of my position. My recurring theme in every thread has been that Sonos needs to find a way to prevent disruption in large installations where frequent hardware obsolescence (controllers) or feature changes (players unintentionally coming off local mute due to a group volume change) simply do not scale well and cannot be managed the same as they are for somebody with only 3 or 4 Sonos zones.

If some of the suggestions for how they might do that are impractical then fair enough, I'm fine if they pick some other way to address this as long as they do address it. As far as this issue being petty, I'd say no more (or less) so then the current concern over the changes to the queue. What is important vs. what is petty seems to vary based on whether the feature in question is used by the person handing out the labels... which was the point I was making in the earlier post.
No, it's petty. And you gave requirements that are not achievable without the scenario I've outlined. I'm sorry, stating "if it's impractical, then they should pick some other way" is the design equivalent of waving a magic wand, and is not going to cut it in a room of software engineers. As Kumar said in another thread, it's like an Admiral saying to solve the submarine problem we just have to drain the ocean; a mere engineering problem. Hence my description of your wishes as ridiculous. The support site and queue fixes are legitimate requests, you are requesting they find unicorns and Bigfoots, and when people say they don't exist, you have nothing to say except "Find a way". Big difference.

And nice watering down of your many specific, numbered requirements, every one of which you insisted be implemented. Seems even you know how ridiculous they are.
Not unicorns or Bigfoot, just asking for some strategy to solve the problem. Saying "solve the submarine problem" is perfectly legitimate if not solving it leaves you sunk and it doesn't imply draining the ocean. That is your embellishment to try to belittle the validity of a concern you don't share.
Not unicorns or Bigfoot, just asking for some strategy to solve the problem. Saying "solve the submarine problem" is perfectly legitimate if not solving it leaves you sunk and it doesn't imply draining the ocean. That is your embellishment to try to belittle the validity of a concern you don't share.

You've offered no solutions, only requirements. You've been told your requirements are technically and financially impossible, yet you won't withdraw the requirements. All for a tiny fraction of the user base. Trust me, you don't need me to belittle the validity of your concern.
I have not been told this by Sonos. Nor have they stated they do not intend to address any of these concerns or that they are walking away from the large installation/custom installation segment, regardless of what fraction of their business it represents. When they do make a definitive statement about their intentions then I will stop pursuing it. If their choice is to make no comment then hearing it come up again is a consequence of that choice.

You have certainly given an opinion of why you think any solution is technically and financially impossible and I respect your view but that does not solve the problem... and again I only highlight issues that were not issues at some earlier point in time, not pie in the sky features that have never existed. In other words, things that used to work a certain way and now don't.

I'm sure if my requests become a problem that the moderators will take steps to reel me in. They really don't need you to help them with that.
I'll tell you what, when they address it and it turns out to be possible, then you can tell me what I can and cannot post. Until then, I will post what I want and when I want. Also, I kindly ask you to stop attacking me, and instead address the glaring inconsistencies and outright impracticality I've raised about your requirements, rather than hiding behind Sonos' silence on the subject as a shield for your apparent unwillingness or inability to defend your ideas. Deal?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Isn't this the thread on the forum changes not controller/hardware changes?

I can see why people don't like the new forum format / especially the search. But what does that really have to do with the enjoyment of the actual Sonos product?

In the case of software changes - I have been very negative on the newest software. But there is a difference in expressing your opinion on software changes and out right bombarding and spamming the forum every few minutes and every thread about irritation about software changes (which was the big problem when some users were chastised by other users for being down right obnoxious in their objections to software changes).
I'll tell you what, when they address it and it turns out to be possible, then you can tell me what I can and cannot post. Until then, I will post what I want and when I want. Also, I kindly ask you to stop attacking me, and instead address the glaring inconsistencies and outright impracticality I've raised about your requirements, rather than hiding behind Sonos' silence on the subject as a shield for your apparent unwillingness or inability to defend your ideas. Deal?

It was not my intention to attack you or tell you what you can post. I am just saying that you do not need to attack me or make it your mission to shut me down... Sonos will do that if they think it is warranted.

I already made a deal some months ago to stop criticizing the controller app and have agreed in other recent threads to terminate the discussion rather than continue defending my position when the discussion runs on between the two of us without providing value to anyone else. I have, and probably will continue to defend my position whenever a change appears to be detrimental to large installations or custom installations. I probably will NOT drag out the defense of any proposed solution because at the end of the day I don't care how Sonos chooses to solve the problem their change created as long as they come up with a solution. It seems if I propose a solution I get hammered if it involves technical or financial challenges and if I don't propose one I still get hammered for just complaining without offering solutions. So going forward if I identify a problem that Sonos has created with on of their changes to their product that impacts the group I care about I am going to leave it to Sonos to explain how they intend to address it. Deal?
Isn't this the thread on the forum changes not controller/hardware changes?

I can see why people don't like the new forum format / especially the search. But what does that really have to do with the enjoyment of the actual Sonos product?

In the case of software changes - I have been very negative on the newest software. But there is a difference in expressing your opinion on software changes and out right bombarding and spamming the forum every few minutes and every thread about irritation about software changes (which was the big problem when some users were chastised by other users for being down right obnoxious in their objections to software changes).

I agree this is not the right place for this discussion and apologize that it is so far off topic from the area of forum changes. I'll stop contributing to the clutter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
All sounds pretty reasonable Mike. There is a complaint thread for the current software version changes of course

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/sonos-are-you-reading-this-please-put-the-controller-queue-function-back-how-it-was-6739476
I don't know if anyone has done this till now; yesterday I emailed the Sonos CEO at his "mail to me I want to hear from you" address on two things. The Insided fiasco in general and what is now getting to be a SNAFU - the spam - which has become ridiculous.

I even got a PM from a genuine member yesterday, pointing out one spam that had a link with my name somewhere in the link. I had noticed and ignored it because it is a common enough name in India.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, I know this is a really heated thread, but let's try to stay on topic and friendly with each other. We've gone through and removed some posts that weren't contributing to the discussion and included attacks or taunts. Let's all please keep things civil.
I don't know if anyone has done this till now; yesterday I emailed the Sonos CEO at his "mail to me I want to hear from you" address on two things.
Am I wrong or too early in expecting at least an acknowledge receipt?
Am I wrong or too early in expecting at least an acknowledge receipt?
His office may be preoccupied with currency gyrations and "off-shoring" complications, as America prepares to make itself Great again.
I received a reply from Patrick Spence, Sonos President.

Summary - nothing very wrong with Insided, usage up 10X since switching over.
Spam - being addressed.

IMO, the expected/typical form reply from any large company CEO, but perhaps internally something will happen of which we will never really know anything unless and until it is visible as an outcome.
Summary - nothing very wrong with Insided, usage up 10X since switching over.
Whose usage is up by 10 times? Insided's maybe.

I can't but believe that there is some self-serving accounting being done somewhere.

Maybe the count includes the spam posters. 😃
Lol. I am merely reporting what the man said:-). And if Insided has an automated metric that reports usage, spam will get counted. Maybe Insided is sending the spam to look good?!!ROFL...
I just had to verify my email address. I've been logging into this mess for over a year and was a member of the old site for seven on top of that. Looks ike insided just came into the 90s.

And yeah... those are very self-serving statistics. CEO is clueless about one of the biggest forward facing features of his company. Kind of explains why the music library feature is all but forgotten.
usage up 10X since switching over
Maybe compared with the last days of the old forums, a time when their link was in fact removed from the support page? I would say that comparing today's 'community' traffic with an aggregate of the old forums plus Ask they're probably broadly equivalent. Certainly nothing like an order of magnitude difference.
I thought there is little difference in the traffic I see here compared to just the old forum, let alone with the other thing added. But there isn't a way to argue about a quoted number without having metrics in turn, except in terms of qualitative things being better in Forum, which I did point out as my opinion in my thank you response.

Corporate types usually hear what they want to hear, and there is little to be done about that, I have found.
The link to this page in the email notification about new posts in this thread says 'page not found.' Nope... no problem with insided lol.