YouTube Music stops playing tracks right around 11:30 minutes

• 22 November 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I listen to music with long songs and have noticed that Youtube music cuts out and stops playing tracks right around 11:30 minutes.  It then skips to the next track.  The error message is the dreaded “ the song is not encoded correctly.”

This hadn’t been happening for a while, but started up a couple of days ago.  

The same song streams from my laptop with no problem.

I know that there are a lot of issues with Youtube music, but this one is becoming a showstopper.

Diagnostic: 767899802

Also, please, please, please, do not tell me that the problem is my wifi or internet connection.  It is not.  This literally only happens when I stream Youtube music through Sonos.  Other services through Sonos are fine, and streaming directly through Youtube music via web browser is also fine.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @mborella, thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community. I appreciate you for bringing this concern to us and for submitting the diagnostic. Let me help you out.

Based on the diagnostic, an audio dropout was detected in your due to sync error, an audio playback failure in your Sonos system, and a faulty ethernet on your Computer room speaker. This could be the reason why you're having an audio issue. 

I understand that your other devices are connected to your network and not experiencing any issues. Your Sonos speakers not only communicate with your network, but they also communicate with other speakers. Let me suggest the next troubleshooting and see if it works for you.

1. Replace the ethernet cable on your Computer room speaker and observe your Sonos system if you will encounter the same issue.
  2. Sequential reboot
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power. Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos speakers are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected.
    • Check the status lights on your Sonos speakers, they should have solid white light an indicator that your Sonos is connected.
  3. Change the wireless channel on the Sonos app
    • Settings > System > Network > Networks > SonosNet Channel > Set it to 1
    • Observe your Sonos system performance.

If you’re still having the same problem, it would be best for you to continue working with us over the phone to expedite the process. I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support with your full network setup including the make and model for each device. Our phone support can perform real-time troubleshooting using their tools to address the issue. Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions. You're always welcome here.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Curious, how could this be a network error when it only happens with Youtube music, on files that I upload, and not on Youtube music in general or any other service?  Also, why at the same specific time in each track?  If it were a network error, I would expect it to be more random.

Curious, how could this be a network error when it only happens with Youtube music, on files that I upload, and not on Youtube music in general or any other service?  Also, why at the same specific time in each track?  If it were a network error, I would expect it to be more random.

I seem to remember in the distant past someone else having this kind of issue, but it was with all their audio sources and it turned out to be a DHCP leasing problem with their Netgear Nighthawk Router. So my thoughts here (just trying to assist) are to change the lease time (if there is a bug in your routers firmware) and perhaps just for good measure, change your 2.4ghz WiFi channel to a ‘fixed’ non-overlapping channel - 1, 6 or 11 (to switch off any auto-searching feature) and if necessary switch its channel-width to 20MHz and see if that fixes the issue for you.

HTH.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Sorry, but I don’t think that’s an issue.  Spent this morning streaming 20+ minutes songs from Bandcamp.  The same songs fail on YouTube Music.  

@mborella @Rowena B. This is definitely not an issue on the original poster's side. It has existed since YTM was launched on Sonos and Sonos has acknowledged that it is an issue specific to YTM.

Please see this thread, which is mainly about a different issue concerning some people's issues with displaying their libraries, but where several of us noted the issue with long tracks stopping (or skipping to the next one) at exactly the 11-12 minute mark. This is systematic and only with YTM, no other music service that I've tried on Sonos.

Rowena--I wonder if you could check with the top tiers at Sonos to see if there are updates? Would appreciate it.

Mborella--If I hear anything, I will post here; please do the same, if you manage to get any updates. Thanks.

Edit: Also flagging for @Krishma M who had provided some updates in the thread linked above. Would be great to get an update on this specific issue of long tracks stopping/skipping at the same exact spot. Thank you!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yeah, this is definitely a Sonos / YTM issue.  I’ve effectively stopped using YTM because the service is garbage and I’ve had multiple issues trying to get it working on Sonos.  I’ve moved over to Plex or local streaming.  

I am not paying this much for speakers if I am to deal with this frustration.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yeah, this is definitely a Sonos / YTM issue.  I’ve effectively stopped using YTM because the service is garbage and I’ve had multiple issues trying to get it working on Sonos.  I’ve moved over to Plex or local streaming.  

I am not paying this much for speakers if I am to deal with this frustration.

Google really did do a terrible job on their YTM-Sonos integration. Instead of taking their Google Music integration, which seemed to work pretty well, and updating that to use YTM, they started fresh and gave the job to the new hire. Who then quit after it shipped, so they can’t fix anything. Probably.

A ton of people clearly agree (see that other thread, among many others). That said, it should not really be a surprise that making YTM work well with Sonos is pretty much Google's last priority. It is a pretty niche segment (not to mention they are pushing their own ecosystem). Not defending, just saying. And seems like this particular issue of all long tracks stopping at exactly the same specific runtime should not be a complicated fix… </end useless comment>