Answered

YouTube Music application on Sonos is horrible

• 1 December 2020
  • 4 replies

YouTube music took over Google play music which I have used for several years on my Sonos systems. The YouTube music Sonos app is just terrible.

1. When you search for an artist there is no list of top songs, there are individual albums, often with one single song under each album. 
  2. There are songs by that artist listed under "songs" that aren't listed under the artist, so the songs are in YouTube music they're just not showing up on the search by artist function. For example, search for “Darlene Love” and several albums show up under “artists”, but not all her songs- you can go to the “songs” tab, and two other songs show up that aren't under “artists”. It’s ridiculous that simple searching doesn’t work. 
  3. There are no YouTube music “Stations” or “Genres”.
  4. You can't create a radio station based on a song.
  5. There is no genre searching.
  6. There are  very few playlists from the YouTube music. If you search for Christmas music, nothing comes up even though they have a million stations on the desktop app. There are twenty Christmas playlists on the app and hundreds on the desktop application. 
  7. There is no thumbs up or down function. 

It’s absolutely bonkers that we can’t get stations or thumbs up and down, those are such basic functions. All of the good things about Google play music are gone. YouTube music on a desktop version is fine and generally the same as Google music was, but the Sonos app is just terrible and it makes me want to cancel my subscription. I know that Sonos is not in charge of updating that app, but I would love to see some pressure from Sonos to YouTube music to get this app into a working condition.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 December 2020, 18:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Sonos has supplied the API, it is up to Google’s engineering team to implement the features, Sonos doesn’t do that. You may get more appropriate traction by sending your comments to the folks at Google/YouTube music. 

Don't waste your time. I chatted with GPM/YTM support numerous times in the last few months and they have no interest making YTM experience on par with what we had with GPM. Google and Sonos are entangled in some dispute over their technologies and far from being settled. I cancelled my YT premium account the day GPM died for me and now testing out Tidal and Spotify. They have both native cast to Sonos integration and superb performance. Just need to pick one. So far Spotify seems to be the mainstream choice for vast majority of music available, while Tidal has the music geek edge; they have everything plus stuff I haven't seen anywhere else.

Bye bye Google, it was good for the time it lasted.

Thanks Paud, I appreciate the update- it’s so disappointing they can’t get their act together! I have so much on GPM I hate to switch, but it sounds like that’s the thing to do.

C'est clair c'est très problématique. Mais c'est aussi Sonos qui est responsable de cette situation.