Answered

YouTube Music.

• Contributor I
  • 2 replies

Can anyone explain to me how you can search for genres on YouTube Music? It was simple on Google Music but seems to me missing in the YouTube Sonos app.

icon

Best answer by controlav 7 February 2021, 16:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @EZ27. Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Regarding your concern on how to search for genres on YouTube music. I tried to check on their website and online, I believe it is a feature that they need to still work on. you may try to get in touch with their support team for further information.

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

If there's any other issue you're having, feel free to reach out.

Simon, thanks for the response.  I can see the genres from the YouTube app as a stand alone but when I add the service to Sonos and use it from Sonos, I do not see the this option as it is missing.  So that I am clear, is this a feature that YouTube must expose in the app on Sonos or is this something that Sonos needs to address with the YouTube Music service running on Sonos?

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @EZ27. Thanks for reaching out and for the update. I'd like to ask some things to further check on the issue.
- Have you tried to remove and re-add the YouTube music service from the Sonos app?
- Do you have another controller to check if the same issue still occurred?

Let us know how you get on with the advice above, we're here to answer any further questions you have.

I have this exact same issue!  Now that I have to migrate from Google Play to YouTube Music, there is NO option to search by GENRE anymore! What a disaster.

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Bradman1, Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming. Regarding your concern about searching through Genre on the Youtube Music on the Sonos app. We are just asking for permissions to mirror as much as possible from the Music Services to have it on the Sonos App. As for these layouts or options for the certain Music Service. You may try to check with Youtube on what they can advise. If they can have it as a feature request to be in sync with the Sonos App. 

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Its curious because as the other poster mentioned, if you go direct into the YouTube Music app, all the options and genres are available, just as you would expect.  But in Sonos App, its bare. No way to search through the ‘Country’ Genre for example.  Think you guys are missing something in the data feed for sure...

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Bradman1, thanks for the update. Regarding this issue. We'll make sure that we'll pass this on to our engineering team as a feature request. Rest assured that we'll try our best to improve your experience with our Sonos products and Services.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

Note that Sonos doesn’t populate/manipulate the search contents, Sonos merely sends a request to the YouTube Music servers, and displays the data that is sent back. Their involvement is minimal.

@Simon B sorry for the delayed response.  I tried removing and reinstalling the YouTube Sonos app and have tried both an Android and an iPhone and the problem continues that I cannot search on genres.  As stated before, this works fine from both of the platforms YouTube application but continues to be a problem within the Sonos app.

@Airgetlam if Sonos is sending the request as you stated then there must be something missing from the “request” since YouTube provides access to genres in their application. 

Bonjour,

J'ai exactement le même problème désormais avec l'application sonos S2, il n'est plus avec le service YouTube music de rechercher par genre ou humeur comme sur l'application de YouTube music.

C'est un gros problème car ça va m'obliger à me désabonner de Google youtube music car sur l'appli sonos, je ne peux plus mettre de la.musique par genre.

I have this exact same issue!  Now that I have to migrate from Google Play to YouTube Music, there is NO option to search by GENRE anymore! What a disaster.

Même problème. Que fait Sonos???

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Google did a bad job of standing up the YTM SMAPI service, and genre search is one of those features they didn’t bother implementing. Just another example of a bad job on YTM.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

To be very clear, here are the Search capabilities Google offer over their YTM service. Note: no genres.

Source: https://music.googleapis.com/pmap.xml