Youtube compatibility with Sonos

I must say I am not happy about the lack of compatibility with Youtube. This for me is essential because I love to sing Karaoke on YouTube using a separate microphone and speaker and I cannot enjoy the sound of my Sonos speakers for this very important method of entertainment. I hope this post allows others to understand why this compatibility is so important because many in this forum have missed the point.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

22 replies

Guys, I am new to Sonos.. I did not read much about what Sonos supports before I bought them... I bought them because they sound great,, but I am a major youtube and soundcloud user and I am really bummed that I cannot stream youtube music directly using my phone or Alexa and soundcloud in sonos app is missing a major feature (continue to play similar music even after playlist ends ,, I don't use my speakers with TV... I don't want to pay for apps be that $5 or $10. if this is not possible or it is not on Sonos production/app enhancement road map then I would like to return the speakers.

All suggestions and recommendation are welcome!!

It will be just great to have an option to stream any sound played on my iPhone to my Sonos. Simple as that.
Couldn't agree more..the sales staff don't tell you what it can't do and i wish I'd just got a high end normal speaker system instead. To not be able to just play any music from your phone is ridiculous due to SONOS restrictions. They don't even support wifi 5 only 2.4. So much for 'the future of sound" ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I must say I am not happy about the lack of compatibility with Youtube. This for me is essential because I love to sing Karaoke on YouTube using a separate microphone and speaker and I cannot enjoy the sound of my Sonos speakers for this very important method of entertainment. I hope this post allows others to understand why this compatibility is so important because many in this forum have missed the point.

This is complete nonsense.

I enjoy YoutTube with great sound through my Sonos system. I watch YouTube videos through the App on my Satellite PVR and all works very well.

Of course, I am watching YouTube the way it's owners intend. I have to watch a few adverts but I can usually skip those.
Guys, I am new to Sonos.. I did not read much about what Sonos supports before I bought them... I bought them because they sound great,, but I am a major youtube and soundcloud user and I am really bummed that I cannot stream youtube music directly using my phone or Alexa and soundcloud in sonos app is missing a major feature (continue to play similar music even after playlist ends ,, I don't use my speakers with TV... I don't want to pay for apps be that $5 or $10. if this is not possible or it is not on Sonos production/app enhancement road map then I would like to return the speakers.

It will be just great to have an option to stream any sound played on my iPhone to my Sonos. Simple as that.
Please note: It is not Sonos' decision to ban YouTube from playing on their system. It is YouTube itself, because they want you to be forced to watch advertising, and Sonos allows you to shut off your phone and it still keeps playing. So, like the Chromecast Audio device (made by Google, which actually owns YouTube), any device that can separate the audio from the video is forbidden from playing YouTube files, as per the YouTube Developers TOS.

So go complain to YouTube, because Sonos is not going to retrofit Bluetooth into every Sonos device.
YouTube controls who has access, and at the current time their Developers TOS does not allow direct-from-the-source streamers like Sonos (and Google's own Chromecast Audio) to separate the audio from the video.

Many other services on Sonos offer Karaoke versions, have you tried them?
YouTube is fully compatible with Sonos. I cast to the Chromecast in my TV, sound via the Sonos Playbar, no problem. Nothing simpler.
YouTube controls who has access, and at the current time their Developers TOS does not allow direct-from-the-source streamers like Sonos (and Google's own Chromecast Audio) to separate the audio from the video.

Many other services on Sonos offer Karaoke versions, have you tried them?

Never tried them. I am new to Sonos. Can you tell me some of these other services that offer Karaoke?
There is a legitimate way to do this. It works for most of the musics but not all of them.

First you need some chrome/firefox addon/plugin like this:
https://github.com/gantt/downloadyoutube

Then you can download youtube video as mp4 as long as they are not copyright protected.

Then you will be able to add the downloaded mp4 to your music library.

Although it's not as simple as clicking several buttons then get everything done but it worth the effort in most of the times.

btw, the 3p software mentioned in other threads has some latency problem so i wouldn't suggest using it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
there is an ios app sonotube that will play direct to Sonos
ok I should take my comments back.. SonosTube works but the issue is clarity.. but i can work with it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos is pushing out ability for a lot of apps to be able to play direct from. If using iOS there is an app sonotube that will play YouTube on Sonos. Also next year airplay2 support is coming meaning everything on iOS should play to Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ah see you have sonotube.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What Sonos unit do you have. If you have a play:5 you can hook an airplay express to it or even an inexpensive Bluetooth dongle - even chromecast dongle. Pretty Easy to add other compatibility if you have a play:5
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well that has been announced as coming in 2018 with AirPlay 2 functionality.
I'm sorry but does it mean that AirPlay 2 will solve the problem for watching Youtube or Netflix on IPAD with old Sono Play:1 (without soundbar) ? That would be a great if a SONOS crew member would ask this tricky question for many consumers. Thanks in advance
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes. But you can already do this with SonosTube app
So what about the debate around the chip, the required buying of a brand-new play one speaker... ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Nothing but speculation at this point
I must say I am not happy about the lack of compatibility with Youtube. This for me is essential because I love to sing Karaoke on YouTube using a separate microphone and speaker and I cannot enjoy the sound of my Sonos speakers for this very important method of entertainment. I hope this post allows others to understand why this compatibility is so important because many in this forum have missed the point. im really not happy with this also i blame the government
im really not happy with this also i blame the government

Huh what?