Question

Youtube compatibility

• 16 September 2015
  • 41 replies

Hi guys,

I have readed many topics about the compatibility of YouTube.. None of them are good enough or easy to use.. It is now 3 years we have past and we still do see no difference.. Will that change back anytime soon or do you just not listen to your customers which pay much money to even buy a speaker of you..

Yours sincerely,

Tmcmaster

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 1
Ryan, sonos have currently lost out on over £2000 in sales just from our household alone. After purchasing a play 1 and a play 3 to test the water to see how we liked it, we were shocked not to find official youtube support. It's almost embarrassing to tell friends and family that they can't play a YouTube video through the sonos, especially when it's considered a high end product. I'm just happy we never went all out and purchased the sound bar we wanted along with the other speakers and had a trial instead. The options out there for working around and getting youtube to work on it are laughable considering the cost of the product. We're now planning to sell our current speakers on ebay. Such a shame because a great product ruined by lack of compatibility with one of the world's leading ways to listen to music.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
A partnership with Google Cast would sort this out Instantly!
I've been a Sonos user for nearly a decade. The integrations have continually improved. Right now, the best way to hack getting Youtube audio onto Sonos is with the Chromecast Audio device. I explain it all right here: http://www.patdek.com/blog/2015/10/5/how-to-get-youtube-audio-streaming-on-sonos

Although still a hack, after setup, it's 2 steps. Click the "cast" button on the page of the Youtube content of interest. Then, via a Sonos controller, specify the line-in associated with the Chromecast Audio. That's it.

Good luck,
Jay
I purchased 8 connect amps and 1 connect so I guess I balanced out your lack of purchase. All it takes is a simple adapter and you can use YouTube on the line in jack. I don't know of a single person that uses YouTube to listen to music aside from music videos and I'm not sure why people are so hell bent on it on the Sonos forums but it's a ridiculous request with a very easy solution. I use. I use both airplay and chromecast streaming on my Sonos system.
Hi guys,

I have readed many topics about the compatibility of YouTube.. None of them are good enough or easy to use.. It is now 3 years we have past and we still do see no difference.. Will that change back anytime soon or do you just not listen to your customers which pay much money to even buy a speaker of you..

Yours sincerely,

Tmcmaster

I have recently bought a Play1 to test before committing to buying a speaker for my 2 TVs and also the other 8 locations. The sound is great and were it not for the fact that there is no transparent way to play sound from a mobile device through the network for Youtube, movies, BBC TV etc. i would be equipping the entire house. There are a lot of comments about Sonos being an Audio device, so is every Bluetooth speaker and the speakers in my iPad, Laptop etc!!!!
What is needed here is a ubiquitous transparent network link to enable sound from mobile networks devices to be played through the network to the Sonos speakers. In an increasingly mobile and network world, why would I buy a network speaker system and then need to plug it in? Increasingly the use of Laptops and mobile devices are being used to watch movies on Netflix, Amazon and other streaming services; Sonos needs to move into the new Networked era!
I purchased 8 connect amps and 1 connect so I guess I balanced out your lack of purchase. All it takes is a simple adapter and you can use YouTube on the line in jack. I don't know of a single person that uses YouTube to listen to music aside from music videos and I'm not sure why people are so hell bent on it on the Sonos forums but it's a ridiculous request with a very easy solution. I use. I use both airplay and chromecast streaming on my Sonos system.

It's ridiculous to suggest it's ridiculous. If you've never met a single person that uses YouTube as you've described, then perhaps you need to get out more. Everytime I have friends over this comes up, and indeed everytime I'm at a friends house I can play a tune over their $50 bluetooth system no problem. Everyone suggesting that Sonos doesn't need to react to this is waaay off base in my opinion, potentially being defensive of their purchase maybe. I heavily invested in a play bar and peripherial speakers and I regret it because of this embarrassing limitation.

Sonos is pitched as a system for delivering "all the music in the world" but failing to work with youtube is a failure to live up to that billing. The approach Sonos have taken to control the audio stream ONLY through their app is the wrong approach for me.
Hi guys,

Yours sincerely,

Tmcmaster

Sonos does not pre-announce new products or functionality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As jgatie said, we don't have a listed road map or talk about what's coming as a general rule. Currently, there's no news to share regarding YouTube as a service on Sonos.

There are many threads on the community with suggestions for making use of YouTube with Sonos, and discussion around the idea in general. But there's nothing new official to add on the topic.

I'll be moving this question over to the music services board.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Youtube is about videos and Sonos is about music. There are many ways to play Youtube if you must on Sonos. I have a least four different ways to play Youtube on my Sonos system in my house. But to be honest we never do that as there are better ways to get music on Sonos. Sound Cloud is a one way to play basically the same music Youtube has.
Yeah, I have to say that I'm a little confused about wanting to play Youtube on Sonos. And I'm not sure that an integration like the ones currently in effect (Spotify, Pandora, etc) would make sense. What source are people using when wanting to play Youtube through Sonos?

I'm honestly asking, as I would like to understand.

Let me describe my situation. I've got an AppleTV and a Roku on each of my 2 TVs. Each has a native Youtube app. Each setup also has an amp and external speakers. I have a Sonos Connect hooked up to each receiver. So if I were to play a Youtube video through one of my boxes through the receiver, I guess I could add a cable to my setups from the receiver to the input on the Connect.

If I had a Playbar setup, it'd be a similar deal, except you wouldn't have to add an extra cable since the Playbar is already getting all of the audio from the TV.

Now, I guess if I had neither the Rokus or AppleTVs and I wanted to do that, I could be a bit stuck. The same thing if I didn't have the connects and only had Play devices.

If I only had Play1s and Play3s, there'd be no way for me to get audio from one of my mobile devices into the Sonos system, right?

If you had a Play5 and Connect or Connect:Amp, you could just use an audio cable, bluetooth adapter, or airport (or similar) device to add audio into the Sonos system.

I suppose that Sonos could form a partnership with Youtube where Sonos shows up as a destination in the "share" menu or the native youtube app? Kind of similar to the "play on roku" button in the Roku app?
A partnership with Google Cast would sort this out Instantly!

Not necessarily. Google doesn't support casting from YouTube to the Chromecast Audio, only to the HDMI version, directly. You have to use "cast screen/audio" from the CC app to get YouTube audio to the CCA, a workaround at best.

So, why would Google allow YouTube casting to Sonos' audio-only renderers when it doesn't allow it to its own audio-only renderer?
That's just the thing . . . there is no standard ubiquitous network protocol for streaming audio from devices, aside from Bluetooth. So until the device makers standardize on a casting protocol, instead of the proprietary/licensed hodgepodge of Airplay vs. Google Cast (and their 180 degrees apart from each other designs), you are stuck with Bluetooth for what you want to do.
Oh Jeez, again with the "all the music in the world" marketing slogan (which is actually "All the music on earth" BTW). They also can't play Edison wax cylinders and live Borneo drum circles; would I be justified in criticizing them for that? Unlike the services it does support, Sonos never specifically said you can play YouTube, and no generic marketing slogan overrules that fact. Your complaint would stand on much firmer ground if you dropped that type of nonsense,

Next we will be hearing about a class action against Kellogg's because Frosted Flakes aren't really a "G-r-r-reat part of a healthy breakfast!" :rolleyes"
Ryan, sonos have currently lost out on over £2000 in sales just from our household alone. After purchasing a play 1 and a play 3 to test the water to see how we liked it, we were shocked not to find official youtube support. It's almost embarrassing to tell friends and family that they can't play a YouTube video through the sonos, especially when it's considered a high end product. I'm just happy we never went all out and purchased the sound bar we wanted along with the other speakers and had a trial instead. The options out there for working around and getting youtube to work on it are laughable considering the cost of the product. We're now planning to sell our current speakers on ebay. Such a shame because a great product ruined by lack of compatibility with one of the world's leading ways to listen to music.

Sorry but I don't get it. I just don't get it.

Why would anyone think YouTube, a freemium VIDEO watching service would be intergrated into Sonos, a music and AUDIO streaming service. Why, why, why??? How would this even work!

If you want to listen to music through Sonos, do it through a music streaming service. If you want to watch videos, do it on your TV.

Anyone on here ranting and raving about YouTube not being available on Sonos doesn't "get" Sonos.
The assertion that YouTube is for video and Sonos is for music is flawed. Please don't make that assumption just because that's the way that you personally use these products. The fact is, YouTube has revolutionized how musicians learn music. To be able to watch and hear how a song is played, and stop it and re start it.. Go back, try again.. All of those things have made the life of a musician so much better. And it's not just professional musicians. It's anybody who is learning music. I have three musicians in my household. Every one of them, and all of their instructors use YouTube to research and listen to music and instruct students. The first question out of anyone's mouth at the suggestion of buying such a nice system is "will it play YouTube?"

After all, if here wasn't a need for this, why would folks keep asking for it?

As for "ranting" about Sonos's true purpose, I guess everyone's truth is different.
Tell that to YouTube. They are the ones who are prohibiting use on audio only streaming systems. Matter of fact, YouTube cannot be streamed over Google Chromecast Audio, and Google actually owns YouTube!!!!! So your beef is not with Sonos or other users who may define YouTube as tied to video, for they are only describing what YouTube itself has established: They make money off advertising, and that advertising is useless over audio only streaming.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Matter of fact, YouTube cannot be streamed over Google Chromecast Audio, and Google actually owns YouTube!!!!! .

Youtube can be streamed over GCA. I have done it.
Matter of fact, YouTube cannot be streamed over Google Chromecast Audio, and Google actually owns YouTube!!!!! .

Youtube can be streamed over GCA. I have done it.

Only via paid subscription, or on a Chrome browser via a computer, which purposefully degrades quality. I think we both know the reason why people want YouTuube on Sonos is to avoid paid subs and connecting through a browser, so your point is moot. Fact is, streaming free music via YouTube is limited. That's YouTube's doing, not Sonos, and blaming Sonos is not only inaccurate, it is an exercise in futility.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I agree with you on all points, jgatie. I forgot about the paid subscription part. I have a Google Play subscription that use very frequently which gets me the youtube part for free. I never cast youtube except for the one time to test if it would work. I have the GCA for concert live streams.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I purchased 8 connect amps and 1 connect so I guess I balanced out your lack of purchase. All it takes is a simple adapter and you can use YouTube on the line in jack. I don't know of a single person that uses YouTube to listen to music aside from music videos and I'm not sure why people are so hell bent on it on the Sonos forums but it's a ridiculous request with a very easy solution. I use. I use both airplay and chromecast streaming on my Sonos system. We listen to 50% of our music via YT.
To the people who are confused about playing youtube videos on Sonos.
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2015/10/09/youtube-accounts-for-40-of-all-music-listening-and-4-of-all-music-revenues/

There's ZERO debate on whether people do it or not, just because you don't do it doesn't mean it's not done. In the article they mention that there is another article stating that Youtube is used to stream more music than ALL OTHER STREAMING MUSIC SITES COMBINED. 40% of all youtube accounts are used strictly to listen to music. It's a great free service that offers a TON of music.

I was given a Sonos as a gift from a vendor and frankly I find this device pathetic. I've already stored it away. The users on these forums think they understand what the typical user does to listen to music.

Get in touch with your userbase, make a product that doesn't sound like complete garbage and MAYBE I'll come back to your device.....probably not though.

GLHF

And before you start flaming this post, I'm an IT professional that designs just about everything, I have used and continue to use many streaming devices and design all sorts of solutions for companies, and I can tell you Sonos is not something I will allow in my buildings, we use much higher quality, more reliable equipment.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2015/10/09/youtube-accounts-for-40-of-all-music-listening-and-4-of-all-music-revenues/

There's ZERO debate on whether people do it or not, just because you don't do it doesn't mean it's not done. In the article they mention that there is another article stating that Youtube is used to stream more music than ALL OTHER STREAMING MUSIC SITES COMBINED. 40% of all youtube accounts are used strictly to listen to music. It's a great free service that offers a TON of music.

I was given a Sonos as a gift from a vendor and frankly I find this device pathetic. I've already stored it away. The users on these forums think they understand what the typical user does to listen to music.

Get in touch with your userbase, make a product that doesn't sound like complete garbage and MAYBE I'll come back to your device.....probably not though.

GLHF

And before you start flaming this post, I'm an IT professional that designs just about everything, I have used and continue to use many streaming devices and design all sorts of solutions for companies, and I can tell you Sonos is not something I will allow in my buildings, we use much higher quality, more reliable equipment.

So if everybody listened to their music on the "great free service" that is Youtube and didn't watch the ads how would the artists, musicians, writers, players, studios get paid.

The real reason people yap on about wanting Youtube this and Youtube that on Sonos is they want to be able to listen to free music
Userlevel 1
Badge
Why not simply pay for YouTube Red as I do? Ad-free
Why not simply pay for YouTube Red as I do? Ad-free

Because people are notoriously freaking cheap, that's why.

GLHF

So you didn't pay anything for it, you've already stowed it away, and you will never use it again because you think it is poorly made, yet you take the time out of your day to register here and post a long diatribe about how people use YouTube? Seems a lot of effort for something which cost you nothing in the past and will cost you nothing in the future.

Don't you have some "buildings" to look after or something?