Question

Youtube compatibility

• 16 September 2015
  • 41 replies

Hi guys,

I have readed many topics about the compatibility of YouTube.. None of them are good enough or easy to use.. It is now 3 years we have past and we still do see no difference.. Will that change back anytime soon or do you just not listen to your customers which pay much money to even buy a speaker of you..

Yours sincerely,

Tmcmaster

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Originally written by Maik
Added extra detail by Shash

Hi guys!

Most comments state that Sonos systems aren’t supported, but they are indirectly! You will have to add the stream as a Radio Station to get it to work.
You need to download the “stream what you hear software(SWYH)” onto your system. Then Just follow these steps:

1. Go to your Sonos app on your PC and go to “Manage” –> “Add Radio Station…”
2. Right click on your SWYH icon in the task bar/hidden icons and go to “Tools” -> “HTTP Live Streaming”
3.A pop up will come up with “stream what you hear HTTP live streaming url”
3. Copy and paste this into the top streaming URL box for the “Add radio station” and ignore the warning stating “don’t start this live streaming on this local computer (music loopback)
Then in the bottom box for add radio station, type in your chosen “Radio station name”
eg “you tube shortcut” click “ok” and then play music on you tube on the internet explorer
The music will come through with a delay of about 2 to 3 second to all your chosen speakers that are on, on sonos system. I usually turn down the music on the laptop. loudness can be controlled by both sonos and also youtube clip volume

For future use click on sonos , then radio by tune in from select a music source, then click my radio station, then your chosen “Radio station name”. Then play youtube on the internet explorer.

Note: SWYH will use a different port when you start the app, so it is recommended to enter a specific HTTP port in your settings pane.

You can stream MP3 and PCM/L16.
Happy listening!
Maik aand also shash
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
As the app is only £3.99 to,own and free to try, why not give it a try. It outputs sound from the video you are playing on your iDevice.
Did you get the chance to test this SonosTube app more extensively? Any pros/cons you'd like to share?
I found this thread after searching for ways to get youtube audio onto my sonos. I have 8 sonos speakers and 3 amps all over my house. my kids and I sometimes fine audio content or live concerts or remixes on youtube that aren't available elsewhere and I was looking for a way to get that audio all over my house. Surprised there isn't a build in solution but looks like there are a few ways to do it that ive found and thought I'd share.

I found an app called SonosTube for iphone/ipad - free to try and then $4.99 to buy. I just downloaded and am streaming a concert on youtube from my favorite radio station, KEXP.org in Seattle - booyah!

Looks like you could also get a chromecast audio and get it to work - haven't tried that solution. here are instructions - http://patdek.com/blog/2015/10/5/how-to-get-youtube-audio-streaming-on-sonos.

there's also this solution for android only folks, haven't tried that either. https://sites.google.com/a/youtec.dk/macronos/home/android-audio

hope this helps someone - cheers!

Brice
Great. So get a Playbar, and a Roku or Chromecast. Watch all the YouTube you want on the TV, with great Sonos sound.
Userlevel 2
For me it's access to live music. Many full shows are posted on YouTube that I'd love to stream. Youtube also launched YouTube music specifically for streaming in the background.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I assume that if I buy a Sonos Connect I can hook my computer to that and send the YouTube audio to the Play 3.

Yes, you can do that. Or use a Play:5 directly connected to your computer.

At the moment I Bluetooth youtube to my TV to play along, but would love to benefit from the superior sound of my Sonos Play 5 and 1.

You can leverage the line in on the Play:5 to get YouTube into the Sonos system. 1 method would be a 3.5mm auxiliary cable from your computer/phone/tablet into the Play:5. Another would be to add a bluetooth receiver to the Play:5. Once the audio it out to the Play:5, it can also be directed to other Sonos components.
Tell that to YouTube. They are the ones who are prohibiting use on audio only streaming systems. Matter of fact, YouTube cannot be streamed over Google Chromecast Audio, and Google actually owns YouTube!!!!! So your beef is not with Sonos or other users who may define YouTube as tied to video, for they are only describing what YouTube itself has established: They make money off advertising, and that advertising is useless over audio only streaming.
Actually I have a very good reason to desire YouTube compatibility.

As a guitarist I find the vast quantity of free to use Guitar Backing Tracks to be amazing on YouTube, I use it every day for playing along to.

At the moment I Bluetooth youtube to my TV to play along, but would love to benefit from the superior sound of my Sonos Play 5 and 1.

So for me yes, there is a very real sediment for this feature. Although I have a Google Play account, there isn't 100th of the amount of tracks as on YouTube.
I use my desktop computer to watch TV and listen to music. A friend of mine had a complete Sonos system in a log cabin summer home. The acoustics in this place were fantastic! So I did a little research on other wireless speaker systems and the concensus seemed to be that Sonos had great sound and good software. I decided to start with the Play 3. I forgot that it didn't have a line-in connection. My suggestion to Sonos is that they ought to offer a line-in connection option on the Play 1 and Play 3.

I use YouTube to listen to music because I can get to the song I want to hear right away. Also, some of the videos are great. Besides, what the hell is wrong with liking free stuff. You audiophiles may not like some of the recordings, but most of them are done very well. Me, personally, I would rather hear a mediocre recording of a good song, than a high fidelity recording of a mediocre song.

I assume that if I buy a Sonos Connect I can hook my computer to that and send the YouTube audio to the Play 3.

Please verify.

Thanks.
To the people who are confused about playing youtube videos on Sonos.
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2015/10/09/youtube-accounts-for-40-of-all-music-listening-and-4-of-all-music-revenues/

There's ZERO debate on whether people do it or not, just because you don't do it doesn't mean it's not done. In the article they mention that there is another article stating that Youtube is used to stream more music than ALL OTHER STREAMING MUSIC SITES COMBINED. 40% of all youtube accounts are used strictly to listen to music. It's a great free service that offers a TON of music.

I was given a Sonos as a gift from a vendor and frankly I find this device pathetic. I've already stored it away. The users on these forums think they understand what the typical user does to listen to music.

Get in touch with your userbase, make a product that doesn't sound like complete garbage and MAYBE I'll come back to your device.....probably not though.

GLHF

And before you start flaming this post, I'm an IT professional that designs just about everything, I have used and continue to use many streaming devices and design all sorts of solutions for companies, and I can tell you Sonos is not something I will allow in my buildings, we use much higher quality, more reliable equipment.

So you didn't pay anything for it, you've already stowed it away, and you will never use it again because you think it is poorly made, yet you take the time out of your day to register here and post a long diatribe about how people use YouTube? Seems a lot of effort for something which cost you nothing in the past and will cost you nothing in the future.

Don't you have some "buildings" to look after or something?
Why not simply pay for YouTube Red as I do? Ad-free

Because people are notoriously freaking cheap, that's why.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Why not simply pay for YouTube Red as I do? Ad-free
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2015/10/09/youtube-accounts-for-40-of-all-music-listening-and-4-of-all-music-revenues/

There's ZERO debate on whether people do it or not, just because you don't do it doesn't mean it's not done. In the article they mention that there is another article stating that Youtube is used to stream more music than ALL OTHER STREAMING MUSIC SITES COMBINED. 40% of all youtube accounts are used strictly to listen to music. It's a great free service that offers a TON of music.

I was given a Sonos as a gift from a vendor and frankly I find this device pathetic. I've already stored it away. The users on these forums think they understand what the typical user does to listen to music.

Get in touch with your userbase, make a product that doesn't sound like complete garbage and MAYBE I'll come back to your device.....probably not though.

GLHF

And before you start flaming this post, I'm an IT professional that designs just about everything, I have used and continue to use many streaming devices and design all sorts of solutions for companies, and I can tell you Sonos is not something I will allow in my buildings, we use much higher quality, more reliable equipment.

So if everybody listened to their music on the "great free service" that is Youtube and didn't watch the ads how would the artists, musicians, writers, players, studios get paid.

The real reason people yap on about wanting Youtube this and Youtube that on Sonos is they want to be able to listen to free music

GLHF

Userlevel 1
Badge
I purchased 8 connect amps and 1 connect so I guess I balanced out your lack of purchase. All it takes is a simple adapter and you can use YouTube on the line in jack. I don't know of a single person that uses YouTube to listen to music aside from music videos and I'm not sure why people are so hell bent on it on the Sonos forums but it's a ridiculous request with a very easy solution. I use. I use both airplay and chromecast streaming on my Sonos system. We listen to 50% of our music via YT.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I agree with you on all points, jgatie. I forgot about the paid subscription part. I have a Google Play subscription that use very frequently which gets me the youtube part for free. I never cast youtube except for the one time to test if it would work. I have the GCA for concert live streams.
Matter of fact, YouTube cannot be streamed over Google Chromecast Audio, and Google actually owns YouTube!!!!! .

Youtube can be streamed over GCA. I have done it.

Only via paid subscription, or on a Chrome browser via a computer, which purposefully degrades quality. I think we both know the reason why people want YouTuube on Sonos is to avoid paid subs and connecting through a browser, so your point is moot. Fact is, streaming free music via YouTube is limited. That's YouTube's doing, not Sonos, and blaming Sonos is not only inaccurate, it is an exercise in futility.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Matter of fact, YouTube cannot be streamed over Google Chromecast Audio, and Google actually owns YouTube!!!!! .

Youtube can be streamed over GCA. I have done it.
Tell that to YouTube. They are the ones who are prohibiting use on audio only streaming systems. Matter of fact, YouTube cannot be streamed over Google Chromecast Audio, and Google actually owns YouTube!!!!! So your beef is not with Sonos or other users who may define YouTube as tied to video, for they are only describing what YouTube itself has established: They make money off advertising, and that advertising is useless over audio only streaming.
The assertion that YouTube is for video and Sonos is for music is flawed. Please don't make that assumption just because that's the way that you personally use these products. The fact is, YouTube has revolutionized how musicians learn music. To be able to watch and hear how a song is played, and stop it and re start it.. Go back, try again.. All of those things have made the life of a musician so much better. And it's not just professional musicians. It's anybody who is learning music. I have three musicians in my household. Every one of them, and all of their instructors use YouTube to research and listen to music and instruct students. The first question out of anyone's mouth at the suggestion of buying such a nice system is "will it play YouTube?"

After all, if here wasn't a need for this, why would folks keep asking for it?

As for "ranting" about Sonos's true purpose, I guess everyone's truth is different.
Ryan, sonos have currently lost out on over £2000 in sales just from our household alone. After purchasing a play 1 and a play 3 to test the water to see how we liked it, we were shocked not to find official youtube support. It's almost embarrassing to tell friends and family that they can't play a YouTube video through the sonos, especially when it's considered a high end product. I'm just happy we never went all out and purchased the sound bar we wanted along with the other speakers and had a trial instead. The options out there for working around and getting youtube to work on it are laughable considering the cost of the product. We're now planning to sell our current speakers on ebay. Such a shame because a great product ruined by lack of compatibility with one of the world's leading ways to listen to music.

Sorry but I don't get it. I just don't get it.

Why would anyone think YouTube, a freemium VIDEO watching service would be intergrated into Sonos, a music and AUDIO streaming service. Why, why, why??? How would this even work!

If you want to listen to music through Sonos, do it through a music streaming service. If you want to watch videos, do it on your TV.

Anyone on here ranting and raving about YouTube not being available on Sonos doesn't "get" Sonos.
Oh Jeez, again with the "all the music in the world" marketing slogan (which is actually "All the music on earth" BTW). They also can't play Edison wax cylinders and live Borneo drum circles; would I be justified in criticizing them for that? Unlike the services it does support, Sonos never specifically said you can play YouTube, and no generic marketing slogan overrules that fact. Your complaint would stand on much firmer ground if you dropped that type of nonsense,

Next we will be hearing about a class action against Kellogg's because Frosted Flakes aren't really a "G-r-r-reat part of a healthy breakfast!" :rolleyes"
I purchased 8 connect amps and 1 connect so I guess I balanced out your lack of purchase. All it takes is a simple adapter and you can use YouTube on the line in jack. I don't know of a single person that uses YouTube to listen to music aside from music videos and I'm not sure why people are so hell bent on it on the Sonos forums but it's a ridiculous request with a very easy solution. I use. I use both airplay and chromecast streaming on my Sonos system.

It's ridiculous to suggest it's ridiculous. If you've never met a single person that uses YouTube as you've described, then perhaps you need to get out more. Everytime I have friends over this comes up, and indeed everytime I'm at a friends house I can play a tune over their $50 bluetooth system no problem. Everyone suggesting that Sonos doesn't need to react to this is waaay off base in my opinion, potentially being defensive of their purchase maybe. I heavily invested in a play bar and peripherial speakers and I regret it because of this embarrassing limitation.

Sonos is pitched as a system for delivering "all the music in the world" but failing to work with youtube is a failure to live up to that billing. The approach Sonos have taken to control the audio stream ONLY through their app is the wrong approach for me.
That's just the thing . . . there is no standard ubiquitous network protocol for streaming audio from devices, aside from Bluetooth. So until the device makers standardize on a casting protocol, instead of the proprietary/licensed hodgepodge of Airplay vs. Google Cast (and their 180 degrees apart from each other designs), you are stuck with Bluetooth for what you want to do.