Answered

Wink Integration

Has Sonos been working on integrating with Wink Hub. I have my home connected through Sonos hubs.
icon

Best answer by Tyler M 10 May 2017, 22:08

Hello, jfarlander and welcome to the community.

We don't have an integration with the Wink Hub system but we're always looking to improve the Sonos experience. I'll make sure to pass your interest along to the development team.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hello, jfarlander and welcome to the community.

We don't have an integration with the Wink Hub system but we're always looking to improve the Sonos experience. I'll make sure to pass your interest along to the development team.
Thank you. It would be a great investment for customers like me that use Sonos to power all their built in speakers. FYI - love my new sound bar!
Can I connect echo or dot to my Sonos sound bar then group all zones and use echo tor echo dot control music all over the house? I also have a Sonos powered amp.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Can I connect echo or dot to my Sonos sound bar then group all zones and use echo tor echo dot control music all over the house? I also have a Sonos powered amp.

You can, depending on the devices you have. Check out this article that dives deeper into it.
Another request for Wink integration. LOVE Sonos, in fact, it is the product that encouraged me to work on creating a smart home in my new place. The ease of use with the Sonos app and hardware made me want to have that same functionality with other aspects in my home. Thanks for the consideration!
I have seen Sonos 5 in action. Great. Should i wait to purchase two until after integration with wink hub 2?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Since there is no announcement from Wink or Sonos about an integration, who knows how long you'd be waiting. Since Smartthings, Lutron, and others already work with Sonos, you may want to switch off Wink to something else. Then again, if you're like me, you may find that you don't really have a ton of features you need/want that involve connecting speakers to a smart hub. It's cool, but I could live without it.

BTW, I think you can clearly point the finger at Wink for why this doesn't exist. Sonos has an API available, and to my knowledge, other smart hubs don't even really need to clear it with Sonos before setting up the integration. Wink is often behind in these sort of integrations because they have a more stringent certification process. They want it to work with fewer issues, and target customers who require a more user friendly setup. Nothing wrong with that. That said, wink can definitely integrate with Sonos since it does have a wifi radio.
Badge
Saw the announcement today saying that Wink is 'onboard' for the "Works with Sonos" badge. Great work! When can we start seeing some details on what will happen? Is this a Wink thing or a Sonos thing?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Saw the announcement today saying that Wink is 'onboard' for the "Works with Sonos" badge. Great work! When can we start seeing some details on what will happen? Is this a Wink thing or a Sonos thing?
It's a both 🙂 It's always a "both".

Stay tuned, you should see more soon.
Hi - So to recap, there is work in progress - any Beta or Download or ETA at least? I just added Sonos to my home, and actually its kind of annoying that I cant use it without a device - and I cant leave an Ipad out because my kids will be watching cartoons all day, but I would love to have the controller app integrated in wink (which I have scattered throughout my apartment) - this seems like a match made in heaven, and genuinely surprised why this wouldnt be as much a priority as Alexa - because even 5 years ago having an integrated touch device in your wall powering connected sound was financially cost prohibitive - the solution is staring at us! Please make it happen!
Badge
Sonos is now integrated with Wink. Just downloaded update to Wink the other day which mentioned Sonos. Wink now sees my Sonos one. Looks like it is pretty limited as to what you can do - other than scheduling something to start playing - and that would also be limited to whatever you have in favorites.
Unfortunately, this integration does not work very well. I wanted Sonos to play a sound on the specified speaker when a motion sensor triggers. I was able to make it work occasionally, but most of the time the connection does not work. When I select Sonos in Wink app, and it shows "No Music", although a clip was previously selected. Then I go "Add" a new Sonos device - after scanning for some time it says "This is taking longer than expected", "Try again", etc. But if now I go back to Sonos icon in Wink again - now it shows whatever I played last in Sonos app, and Wink sensor will trigger the clip I want correctly on the right speaker. But after a while, I do not know if it is time-related, or maybe using Sonos app to play different things on different speakers messes up the Wink's settings - the clip to play on the Wink's sensor does not play anymore or plays on the wrong speakers, etc. I have to go through the "+" (add Sonos device) again - although adding a new Sonos does not actually add anything, it certainly initiates some kind of re-scan of the existing devices and restores whatever settings were messed-up. I do not know whether the problem is on the Sonos or Wink side, I'll post a question on the Wink's forum as well. This is a great feature, but needs some work to function correctly.
Another problem, an even bigger one, is that Sonos app running on my iPhone drains my battery too fast. I looked at battery usage - got 75% in background activity. I do not know what kind of background activity is there if I only listen to Sonos stuff a a couple of times a day, and most of the time my phone is used for work - I cannot afford charging more often because of one app I occasionally use for fun. I saw others on the web complaining about this, but I do not know if there is an actual solution.
There's a couple of potential solutions.
1) Go in to the app settings, and turn off Hardware Volume Control and Lock Screen Controls.
2) Turn off the Sonos app. Double click the thumb button to bring up the list of running apps. Slide up on the Sonos app to "kill" it.
There's no guaranty on this, but option 1 has helped the majority of people who have posted about it and returned to let us know.

Sonos hasn't come up with a real solution yet, as it seems to be incredibly hard to reproduce. For instance, I've got 3 different iOS controllers, and none of them have ever exhibited this behaviour.