Will the Apple Music interface ever get updated?

• 13 February 2018
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1
Apple Music went through a huge UI overhaul almost 2 years ago and yet the Sonos section still features the same layout as it did when it first came to Sonos. There's no sync between what's in a user's Apple Music app and the Sonos app (For You recommendations), and the "New" section still doesn't actually feature the week's new releases. (It only gives options for "Top Albums" and "Top Songs", etc, which put the user at the mercy of what's popular instead of what's actually new.) Users can't add songs to their Apple Music library from within the Sonos app (like Spotify users can).

I've been living having to use a hybrid of the Apple Music app and the Sonos Controller to listen to things because they're not in the same place. The "new" For You section houses curated playlists based on the user's tastes, whereas in the Sonos interface the user has to have those playlists added to their library and go into Library > Playlists to find them.

The sorting order of albums is randomized when viewing an artist's catalogue in the Sonos Controller when things are listed in reverse-chronological order in Apple Music.

I was fine with putting up with this for the first 6 months after the Apple Music redesign because I figured it would take some time for things to happen on the Sonos side, but 2 years is ridiculous.

Is this an Apple issue? Is Sonos just biding their time until Airplay 2 "frees" users from being tied to the Sonos Controller? What's going on?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I fully agree.

I switched to Apple Music just recently but I do like Apple Music's "For You" section very much. Actually, it does a better job in presenting me playlists and albums I'd like than Spotify does.

But yes, I am really annoyed about the Sonos interface to Apple Music. The Sonos "For You" isn't even updated every day. And it definitely shows albums and playlists, Apple Music's app never has recommended (and wouldn't, because it's actually not my taste).

I thought about extending my Sonos lineup at home, but now I find myself using them less often.