Answered

Will any sonos product support UltraHD from Amazon

• 21 September 2019
  • 35 replies

Show first post

35 replies

Badge +2

So theoretically would Sonos Ones’ be able to support Ultra HD with a firmware update, or would they need to construct a whole new device?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Something to keep firmly in mind, as the numbers race pushes ever higher, so does the need to move bits. I’m much happier listening to my FLAC ripped CDs than I’d be in listening to something with “better” numbers that was dropping in and out because it couldn’t shuffle the audio to my wireless speakers in time.

As to the ability to support Ultra HD, the devil will be in the details, Sonos can technically support any bit rate and depth up to the network connection and CPU processing limits. Now how much internal - between the network and the amplifier - meddling is done is the question. Dropping bits, only using a sampling of the input and all kinds of things are possible. What the native hardware will support unmodified I don’t know, or really care since I can’t hear it.

Amazon now says that not even HD (CD quality) is supported by Sonos.

It was initially, but now none of the HD playlists appear in Sonos app (e.g. Ultra HD <something>).

It’s really annoying that Sonos won’t even acknowledge this.
They happily announced support of Amazon HD, but have not said a peep [that I’ve seen] about removing that support.

Amazon now says that not even HD (CD quality) is supported by Sonos.

It was initially, but now none of the HD playlists appear in Sonos app (e.g. Ultra HD <something>).

It’s really annoying that Sonos won’t even acknowledge this.
They happily announced support of Amazon HD, but have not said a peep [that I’ve seen] about removing that support.

You mean like this Ultra HD Jazz playlist that’s playing just fine for me right now in FLAC?

so why doesn’t that appear for me?

I have the latest Sonos update, and Amazon Music HD subscription, nothing shows up for Ultra HD (other than band or album named with ‘Ultra HD’, none of the amazon Ultra HD playlists).

They used to show up, shortly after the announcement, and then disappeared a week or two ago.

This is the same for me on both the desktop and the phone app.

I should add that when I contacted Amazon support in a chat, they specifically stated that Sonos does not support Amazon HD.

so why doesn’t that appear for me?

I have the latest Sonos update, and Amazon Music HD subscription, nothing shows up for Ultra HD (other than band or album named with ‘Ultra HD’, none of the amazon Ultra HD playlists).

They used to show up, shortly after the announcement, and then disappeared a week or two ago.

This is the same for me on both the desktop and the phone app.

Interesting.  I was playing from “recently played”, but now a search doesn’t show them.  Also not showing up in Amazon’s Cloud Player, so it’s an Amazon issue.  They do show in the Amazon Music app.

However, Amazon is definitely playing HD “standard” quality (CD) via Sonos.

How do you know they’re streaming CD quality via Sonos?

You just “hear” the difference or something else?
I wish there was some indication [in the Sonos app] about current quality of music playing.

How do you know they’re streaming CD quality via Sonos?

You just “hear” the difference or something else?
I wish there was some indication [in the Sonos app] about current quality of music playing.

I watch the Mbps readout on my router’s app.

Ah, my router doesn’t have that, but good to know it’s HD (CD quality), thank you.