Question

Why won't my playlists from iTunes download to Sonos?

• 18 January 2013
  • 33 replies

I have two problems: 1) All of my playlists wont download to Sonos - I can only see some 2) The information concerning my genres is not correct - whereas I have 13 genres on iTunes, I have many more on Sonos. How can I resolve these problems? Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Badge
Hello, In order for Sonos to import your iTunes playlists it must find the iTunesLibrary.xml which is normally located with in the iTunes folder. If Sonos is being pointed past this folder it will not find your playlist information. In order to categorize your music in the Sonos application, Sonos reads metadata off the track. You can use iTunes and other programs to edit the metadata of a track. Once you have made any changes to metadata you will need to update the Sonos library by going to Manage > Update Music Library Now. You can find more information on metadata as well as link to programs to help with the process here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/349/.
Thanks for your response. Still having problems unfortunately. When I try and repoint Sonos at my .xml file, I get a message stating that Sonos cannot find my MacBook Pro. Any ideas what I need to do? Thank you
I have resolved the "cannot find MacBook Pro" issue by renaming my computer with less than 15 characters. However my issues with playlists and genres remain - what I see on Sonos is significantly different to iTunes. I have reloaded and updated but still no luck. I actually have 2 .xml files: 1) Music>iTunes>iTunes Library.xml (this is an "XML document" modified in Oct 2010), and 2) Music>iTunes>iTunes Music>iTunes Music Library.xml (this is an "XML text" file that was modified today). I've actually pointed Sonos at both files but it makes no difference. This is really spoiling my enjoyment as I use iTunes to navigate multiple genres and playlists. Any other ideas how I can fix it? Thank you
Having the same issue - all my songs are in Sonos but not the playlists. Have tried recreating the .xml library but it doesn't help.
do have the same issue, It won't import import any playlist
I have the same issue and none of the responses make any sense to me. why do we have to be technician to listen to Sonos Music?  I have all my songs and albums indexed, but no playlists. Jeez.  Anybody have an answer that doesn't require an IT Degree or 3 hours of my time?
Hi Kathryn.  Can I just check that you are looking for these iTunes playlists under "imported playlists" in your Sonos music library, not in the Sonos playlists?
Yes. After I index my music library - imported playlists are empty. I have many in my iTunes library.
Please could you tell me the exact filepath you have used in your Sonos library set up to tell Sonos where to find your iTunes music.  If the path goes further down than the "iTunes" folder, please try removing that path from your Sonos library set up and add the iTunes folder instead.  Update your Sonos library and see if your playlists have appeared.
I continue to receive the same error message, "unable to add the shared folder to your music library (1002)" when trying to direct Sonos to the location of the updated xml file.  All of my music is located on an external hard drive and I have been able to successfully sync those files into the sonos player.  However, my playlists aren't importing.  The xml file is located on my hard drive in my music folder and I don't see or believe there is a way to change where that file saves to.  Please advise as I am not able to import any of my itunes playlists into sonos and this causing me a lot of frustration.
Thanks
I continue to receive the same error message, "unable to add the shared folder to your music library (1002)" when trying to direct Sonos to the location of the updated xml file.  All of my music is located on an external hard drive and I have been able to successfully sync those files into the sonos player.  However, my playlists aren't importing.  The xml file is located on my hard drive in my music folder and I don't see or believe there is a way to change where that file saves to.  Please advise as I am not able to import any of my itunes playlists into sonos and this causing me a lot of frustration.
Thanks

I've submitted a diagnostic, confimation #: 4595898 
This Iphone   Sonos is unable to play content from itunes that contains copy protectionI must have over 2000 songs I can't play on Sanos.
Thanks

This problem is of Apple's making. If you can face paying Apple for the privilege you can use Match to obtain unprotected versions
Same issue only some of my playlists get imported into sonos.
Badge
Same problem here with playlists not importing but I found a workaround: save the playlists as .m3u files.
- In iTunes, select the playlist to export.
- Select File>Library>Export Playlist...
- Find the iTunes Playlists folder.
- Under Save as type:" select "M3U files (*.m3u).
- Click Save.
Do this for each of your playlists (tedious if you have many).
Open Sonos, "Update Music Library Now", Voila! Playlists appear.
Userlevel 1
Badge
That's really annoying not to be able to play iTunes playlist or Genius lists....
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
The smart playlists are indeed not supported. However, the general Itunes playlists should work and also appear in the Music library on Sonos. If this is not the case, please submit a diagnostic and upload some screenshots of the view you have in the app.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Liebel, This is a fabulous workaround. I have been trying to solve this problem for awhile.... Brilliant! Thanks
Badge
It seems every time Apple does a new rev of iTunes they change the library structure (such as iTunes 12 completely changing the media folder structure). I'm sure this makes it a challenge for apps like Sonos to keep up. The export playlist to M3U workaround is a drag since you have to do that every time you change or create a new playlist in iTunes.
This worked perfectly - thanks very much.
I had the same issues mentioned in this thread... iTunes library on my Mac was present but no playlists. I tried every combination of updating the SONOS library, checking the "share" box in iTunes, etc. etc. The trick for me was to DELETE the iTunes Library information in the SONOS app completely and then re-add it. Worked instantly and completely.
The easiest method I have found for making playlists available in the Sonos Music Library, is to make a copy of the iTunes Music Library.xml file and store it alongside your iTunes music folders... and (if necessary - see below) open the .xml file and look at the 'file path' shown that point to each audio track.

Then using the find/replace feature in notepad or any decent text editor, quickly modify all the file paths in the document to show the true location of your files ... Here is an example of a 'find/replace' command that I did for iTunes music files that I copied to a folder called 'Media' on a local NAS box.

Find:
C:/Multimedia/iTunes%20Media/Music ...(this is the computer path to my iTunes music folder)

Replace With:
C:/Media/Music ...(this is the path to the copied music folder on my NAS box)

"IMPORTANT NOTE"... if you are not copying your music to another location, you don't need to edit the .xml document at all, just simply copy it to the original iTunes Music folder.

Obviously, if you have moved your music, you may need to do a find/replace using your own file paths, but the modifications take just seconds to do.

If you 'mess up' the .XML file, don't worry, it's only a copy remember.

After saving the changes then update the Sonos library and if all went well every playlist will be present in your music library, if they are not there, you have not got the correct 'replacement' path, so try again.

A couple of points to mention... If you want access to your iTunes audiobooks aswell, you will have to convert them from .mp4 to .mp3 files and after that, alter their extension too in the .XML document.

Make a note of your find/replace commands, so you can occasionally update a new copy of the iTunes Music Library.xml file .. To keep your playlists upto date.

And finally, I will mention that if you use a folder structure in iTunes to neatly group and store your playlists, that structure is NOT available in the Sonos library ... In fact it's also true to say that is the case too, for the in-built Apple Music Service within Sonos, so expect to see all your playlists as a simple unstructured list.

Hope the above helps those who are willing to explore this quick method to get all the iTunes playlists into their Sonos Music Library.
its incredulous that sonos won't play iTunes. What kind of speaker doesn't play the most ubiquitous music source in the world! I couldn't be more disappointed.
Sonos does play iTunes. What are you talking about? And you mean incredible not incredulous
Or more accurately, Sonos will play the music in your iTunes library and your iTunes playlists