Why no album artwork on live radio streams?

• 15 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Many radio streams contain album artwork... Sonos just displays a station logo. 

Why? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Because the station doesn’t provide artwork in the stream metadata?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Try NDR 1 stations.... 

Try NDR 1 stations.... 

I don’t know what the second screenshot is from, but I guess Sonos either uses a different API or simply doesn’t dig out the artwork. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

The second screenshot is from logitech Media Server using a stream url from TuneIn.  The Sonos image is also a TuneIn link.

I added a station using the same url from logitech - just shows a default black music image.

Radio Paradise streams do show album art.

Given that Sonos disclaim any involvement in how music services actually work, I guess it's just something else to put up with... But I think it does show how clunky and antiquated the S2 interface and features really are.

It's almost as if nobody really cares.  Probably legal battles with Google et al. are evidently more important. 

Radio Paradise via TuneIn -- which I can no longer get from the UK owing to licensing issues -- or using their own service? Obviously with RP’s own installed service on Sonos it works in full.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

RP service works but haven't tried radio paradise via TuneIn... Guess it won't have art.