Answered

Why Limited use for music

• 30 December 2017
  • 4 replies

Ok bought sonos 5 can play iTunes purchased music but have to pay to listen to Spotify or YouTube music. If I just use my blue tooth speakers I can listen to anything for free. I thought I was just purchasing a speaker not multiple sign ups to listen to music through a speaker or am I missing something here.....I'm no tech head
icon

Best answer by MikeV 30 December 2017, 20:28

Sonos is a speaker/music system that is controlled by your phone. The music from online music services is not playing from your phone, the speaker is connecting directly to the service. Free accounts with on-demand streaming services don't work with Sonos because there's no way for a music service to insert ads into your playlist queue, or you could remove them if they put them in between your tracks. Most of the music services supported by Sonos even list this in their support pages (for example, Spotify on Sonos).

Free radio services do work with Sonos though, as they don't use the Sonos queue and can put ads between songs without you being able to skip them. Pandora, Slacker, AccuRadio, iHeartRadio, and a whole variety of radio stations - some traditional, some internet-only - through TuneIn are available. Other services may also be available in other countries.

Youtube Music isn't supported by Sonos, however if you subscribe to Youtube Red, Google Play Music (which is included with the Youtube Red service) can be used through Sonos.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sonos is a speaker/music system that is controlled by your phone. The music from online music services is not playing from your phone, the speaker is connecting directly to the service. Free accounts with on-demand streaming services don't work with Sonos because there's no way for a music service to insert ads into your playlist queue, or you could remove them if they put them in between your tracks. Most of the music services supported by Sonos even list this in their support pages (for example, Spotify on Sonos).

Free radio services do work with Sonos though, as they don't use the Sonos queue and can put ads between songs without you being able to skip them. Pandora, Slacker, AccuRadio, iHeartRadio, and a whole variety of radio stations - some traditional, some internet-only - through TuneIn are available. Other services may also be available in other countries.

Youtube Music isn't supported by Sonos, however if you subscribe to Youtube Red, Google Play Music (which is included with the Youtube Red service) can be used through Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is sonotube app that will stream youtube
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ps. Bluetooth sound quality is horrible.

Sonos direct from source pull 100% more reliable and better sound. ... oh yes and Bluetooth doesn’t sync multiroom. That’s why.
It is very disappointing that I cannot listen to Youtube Music on Sonos. I thought Sonos was a pure speaker system. I do not know how I was lead to the misconception.