Answered

Why is my Apple TV so heavy-handed?

• 26 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I have a Sonos Beam connected to my TV via eArc with two Sonos One surrounds as my home theatre system. In addition, I have two Sonos Ones in my bedroom and one in the kitchen, too. Plus, two HomePods in the mix. If I’m watching a program on my Apple TV and then switch the tv off to listen to music from my iPhone’s Apple Music app thru any speaker in my house, the Apple TV insists on to playing the previous tv show thru all the speakers. The Apple TV actually switches the song out for the TV show.  It takes at least 15 minutes to convince the Apple TV to give up control. Sometimes I just want to through the Apple TV out.  Is there anything I have mis-configured?

icon

Best answer by tracker 26 March 2022, 19:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

How exactly are you starting your music? Are you AirPlaying to the ATV, to the Beam, using the Sonos app, or some other mechanism?

In all my years of using multiple ATVs I’ve never experienced anything like this.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Not an answer, but a practical experiment you can try before further questions:

Try disconnecting the Beam from the TV (and reboot the ATV & TV) and see if the problem goes away.  My bet: there is some case where either: (1) the CEC power-off command is not going from the TV to both the Beam and the AppleTV, or one of them is mis-implemented, “swallowing it up” and echoing something that the other one takes as a “keep-alive”; or (2) a “quick start” feature of the TV is (intentionally) failing to tell one or the other to turn off (older TVs only); or (3) you have turned the CEC feature off in the TV (newer users only😀).

If the same thing still happens, you can further narrow the case by unplugging all the Sonos entirely and then ask Apple for help: “My Apple TV keeps playing the tv show audio to my Apple HomePods even though I have turned the TV off and am asking Apple Music to AirPlay to them from my Apple iPhone!”

OK, now that I have made a bunch of wild conjectures and debugging suggestions, I will ask you a question too: What brand and model of TV?  That will help those among us who are more experienced than I really try to fix things...🙃 

Badge +1

It’s an older 49” Vizio I bought at Costco. A quick Google, I think it is model M49-C1. I bought it in 2015.

Badge +1

How exactly are you starting your music? Are you AirPlaying to the ATV, to the Beam, using the Sonos app, or some other mechanism?

In all my years of using multiple ATVs I’ve never experienced anything like this.

I am using Apple’s Music app on my iphone. I first turn-off the TV and Apple TV using the Apple TV remote. Next, on my iphone, I open the Apple Music app, I pick the playlist, then click the upside down triangle button to pick the speakers I want the music to come out of. That is when the Apple TV begins to fight me.