Why does Spotify need a premium account to connect to Sonos

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Why is it that Spotify needs to be a premium account ($$$$$$$$$) to be connected to Sonos. Not good, Not Good at all. I will continue with Pandora. Shame, Shame on Spotify and little shame on Sonos for partnering with Spotify. Just deleted all my Spotify accounts.

3 replies

Spotify set the terms. $10 or £10 per month for a high quality stream and a choice of tens of millions of tracks? Best bargain I have ever had. Get your wallet out and buy your round.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
In an ideal world, we'd all love Spotify and Apple Music, etc to be free but how would they make any money?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Every "on-demand" music service with a large catalog of commercially available music requires some kind of subscription to use it through Sonos.

Amazon Prime Music - included with Amazon Prime ($99/yr)
Amazon Unlimited Music - $7.99/mo (with Prime) or $9.99/mo (without Prime)
Apple Music - $9.99/mo
Google Play Music - $9.99/mo
Spotify - $9.99/mo
Rhapsody/Napster - $9.99/mo

There are plenty of free radio services that work through Sonos, because radio services can insert ads between songs and you can't remove them (on-demand music plays from the queue, which you could use to skip or remove ads from).

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings