Why can't I remove TuneIn radio from my sources?

Userlevel 2
I have no intention of ever using it, no sure the reasoning behind forcing it on your users. I can see having it set up after installation as an example, but forcing it to stay there seems a bit too far.

31 replies

One might assume that they get paid by TuneIn to promote the service, but that's just a guess. It may be a mandate from Sonos' own marketing department.

my biggest issue with tunein being on the SONOS devices is that when in a commercial facility, when users search for music, tunein is included in the search along with the commercial streaming service (SoundMachine, CloudCover, etc.) and when they choose the tunein stream, they are immediately breaking the law with regards to what they are licensed to play in the facility/restaurant/bar. This is a HUGE problem and has $$$$ consequences

my biggest issue with tunein being on the SONOS devices is that when in a commercial facility, when users search for music, tunein is included in the search along with the commercial streaming service (SoundMachine, CloudCover, etc.) and when they choose the tunein stream, they are immediately breaking the law with regards to what they are licensed to play in the facility/restaurant/bar. This is a HUGE problem and has $$$$ consequences

You should have your IT department set the firewall to blacklist the TuneIn site for all the Sonos devices.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello. 

I rarely use TuneIn either, but I can if I wish.  I don’t know the sensitivity / licensing of using its or other sources in commercial situations and no doubt this differs in every country in the world, but I bet it’s an ‘issue’ to someone.

If it matters, @jgatie’s option would definitely work and may help you.  If you’re a small(ish) company (SME) and rent your router from an ISP and are responsible for its throughput, then it should be relatively easy to do this yourself.  For example for Netgear routers see: https://kb.netgear.com/24053/How-do-I-block-Internet-sites-on-my-NETGEAR-router-using-the-router-web-interface

Lots of companies or Access Points block sites for any number of reasons, whether it’s bandwidth or HR policy and if you’re a big company then you probably have a policy and an IT department to deal with this.

Interestingly, Sonos used to advertise their system as something like ‘The Wireless Home Sound System’ (sic) but I think they dropped this tag line in recent years.  Who knows perhaps using Sonos devices in a commercial setup breaks some sort of T&C?  I don’t know however, they do have a business site for the commercial sector (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/business).

Whatever you do, I’d suggest being careful with any copyrighted material in a place that has public access and where goods or services are traded, whether commercially or not for profit.

thanks, but no, it’s not breaking any T&C. there are multiple streaming services that SONOS promotes at https://www.sonos.com/en-us/business

i didn’t think about blocking at the firewall, but i’ll give that a shot. other than TuneIn, everything works great in commercial environments.

To let you know though, ASCAP, BMI and other licensing sources require their licenses in any commercial/public space such as retail stores, restaurants, bars, etc. fines are multiple thousand dollars per PRO (Performance Rights Organization). It’s no joke and when they knock on peoples doors and find an issue, they don’t give warnings, they just issue the fines.

thanks, but no, it’s not breaking any T&C. there are multiple streaming services that SONOS promotes at https://www.sonos.com/en-us/business

i didn’t think about blocking at the firewall, but i’ll give that a shot. other than TuneIn, everything works great in commercial environments.

To let you know though, ASCAP, BMI and other licensing sources require their licenses in any commercial/public space such as retail stores, restaurants, bars, etc. fines are multiple thousand dollars per PRO (Performance Rights Organization). It’s no joke and when they knock on peoples doors and find an issue, they don’t give warnings, they just issue the fines.

Just make sure to delete any favorites that are from TuneIn after you block it.  That way, the links aren’t saved, and nobody can search TuneIn to add any more.