Why can't I remove TuneIn radio from my sources?

Userlevel 2
I have no intention of ever using it, no sure the reasoning behind forcing it on your users. I can see having it set up after installation as an example, but forcing it to stay there seems a bit too far.

31 replies

Hello Jason_148, welcome to the community and thanks for posting. Currently there's no way to disable Tune In as a service, but we'll be sure to pass your suggestion on to the team as an enhancement request.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I also am in the same boat. I have no need for TuneIn radio in my list. Please help us remove.
thank you
In the same boat? I think we are all in the same boat. I find not clicking it is the simplest solution.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Your a genius!, We want the choice not to see it on our music source display. Unless your are a SONOS programmer, mind your own business and hope I don't see you on the boat.
You posted on a public forum, and so it is everybody's business.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The reason it's there is because TuneIn is the internet's largest directory of streaming radio stations, most of which are free to listen to. I'm sure that Sonos and TuneIn struck some kind of deal a long time ago that would make the service always be present, in part because of the free nature of TuneIn's content.

As was noted by Manny, they've noted the desire to be able to remove TuneIn from the service list. TuneIn also has a subscription service now (TuneIn Premium), so maybe sometime in a future update the ability to remove TuneIn will be possible. But at the moment, you're unfortunately stuck with it.
Perhaps another reason is Sonos' general aim to have as few options as possible (it seems to me), in the interest of simplicity. I don't use Sonos Playlists, or any of the Music Library views other than "Artists", or many other menu options. But short of making every menu fully customisable, there will always be someone for whom it's not ideal. And if all menus were fully customisable I hate to think of the increase in support queries, after someone's options get trashed by a partner or child...

Leading inevitably to the call for a password-protect option.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This thread is a wind up right?
Would be nice to have the option to hide and re-order items. Given the dearth of owner options in the software imo not likely to ever see this feature.
I agree. I am in a different boat slightly in that I don't trust TuneIn. I used to use the app on my phone until it started opening web browsers on my phone for adverts. This raised alarms about what else the app could open. I use Radio Player which is a brilliant alternative and is also now available on Sonos. Radio Player is funded by the Bbc and Global Radio (two biggest names in radio) amongst others and is trust worthy.

I think the option to install or uninstall should be down to the user. I agree that some apps could come pre installed but I want my personal music experience to be personal and not forced to have a service on my system that I will never use.
Interesting.

The ability to open up a browser from an app is, to my knowledge, built in to both Android and Apple's operating systems. And it's a basic tenet of every web browser I've used, opening a new window every time I click on an advertisement.

But to my knowledge, using the TuneIn features in Sonos doesn't give you any ads, or open any browsers. But your experience might be different.
Interesting.

The ability to open up a browser from an app is, to my knowledge, built in to both Android and Apple's operating systems. And it's a basic tenet of every web browser I've used, opening a new window every time I click on an advertisement.

But to my knowledge, using the TuneIn features in Sonos doesn't give you any ads, or open any browsers. But your experience might be different.
My experience is the same as @Airgetlam's, and I suspect everybody else's. And the very good reason for this is that Sonos doesn't use the TuneIn app. TuneIn just supplies a sort of directory lookup, and Sonos then gets the stream itself. Which makes @LJSonos' objection, in my view, totally spurious.
Badge
I think if we had the option to hide, remove and/or reorder Music Services, for example how Google Chrome allows users to customize its pre-populated search engines, the Tunein service (regardless of its dependencies) would be moot.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I find that the controller app keeps switching its search domain to TuneIn on startup, so I'd like to get rid of it on that basis alone. The existing service management UI should suffice to disable it.

It appears that I last tried to use it 10 years ago when I bought my first Sonos kit, and found it too cumbersome to use then. Now it just gets in the way.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
What controller app are you using? I use Windows,Android and apple and Tunein had never got in the way. I have my Radio stations on presets and can't say I have ever noticed tunein since I set them up.

I struggle to see how it "gets in the way". Besides is not going anywhere.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
Windows. It's been happening on at least 4 computers for a couple of years now.

So it doesn't get in your way. But for me and my household having the search repeatedly switch to an unused service is definitely annoying. Are you speaking officially for Sonos when you say "is not going anywhere"?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Windows. It's been happening on at least 4 computers for a couple of years now.

So it doesn't get in your way. But for me and my household having the search repeatedly switch to an unused service is definitely annoying. Are you speaking officially for Sonos when you say "is not going anywhere"?

No he's not. Sonos employees are identified under the avatar as "Sonos employee".

I used to use the Windows controller and now use the Mac version. I don't find that the search defaults to TuneIn - I do have to make sure it is searching where I want but it's not a deal.
But I'm with bockersjv in that I don't seeing it going anywhere anytime soon.
Did anyone determine how to do this?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Did anyone determine how to do this?Did anyone determine how to do this?
No. It's an integral part of the app. It doesn't need to be removed, it's harmless bveing there and you don't have to use it if you don't want to. Just can't see the issue here?
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

No. It's an integral part of the app. It doesn't need to be removed, it's harmless bveing there and you don't have to use it if you don't want to. Just can't see the issue here?

It's no more integral than any other service, and clutters up the UI. It just needs to be made one of the dozens of option services.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If it can't be hidden can we at least get it moved down in the search results so we don't have to scroll past it as often?
I have no intention of ever using it, no sure the reasoning behind forcing it on your users. I can see having it set up after installation as an example, but forcing it to stay there seems a bit too far.

I just removed a star In the App Store… If enough people removed stars I’m sure they would listen more
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Paypal me $100 and I'll give you a special version of my app with Tune-In removed, or shuffled to the end of the list, your choice. ($100 should cover the 1-line code change and the creation & submission of the app to the Store).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
1st world problems!
Apparently "we'll pass your suggestion on" is Sonos (and or Google) code for "we'll pass" on your suggestion.

They spend money on user feedback surveys and we happily give our precious time filing them out honestly and in regards to how EACH of us uses our Sonos systems (because there's NEVER a one size fits all solution for all of our listening habits ... hint, hint) - yet we're left to bicker with each on these community forums while we wait for ONE. SIMPLE. SOLUTION. that could solve this REAL problem and allow us to go on with our happy little lives ... The OPTION to Disable/Enable TuneIn as a search & playback service - especially in cases where it can't fulfill a simple task that other widely available services can.

In summary - it looks like nobody from the top from either SONOS nor Google cares how negatively this impacts us 'end'-users; regardless of how dead-air or explicit lyrics come across from songs playing on TuneIn's poorly curated replacement stations for the 1,000s we're trying to ask for, yet they aren't licensed to re-broadcast.

I guess we're left to tell our friends, business customers, family and ourselves: "well that's just an unfortunate side effect of owning a Sonos product" … and move on with our lives (and our $$$) to products that are better for us and don't leave us answering for their inadequacies.