Who's fault is it that we can't stream anything from our macbooks to our sonos speakers?

Userlevel 2
Badge
There are thousands of people upset about this. Obviously, The Sonos speakers are only doing half their job if we have to get additional speakers to play the audio from anything we stream. It is a pretty rude awakening to find you've just purchased $400 of high end wifi speakers that can stream your music library, but cannot play a youtube video. especially when they are promoted on apple.com as an audio solution for your macbook.

I'd just like to know who's fault it is. Is it they ever-increasingly greedy apple who won't allow Sonos to be paired as a sound output (they did just dump a ton on of $$$ on Beats)? Or is it Sonos that's stuck up it's own behind and just won't bother to fix what a ton of people are complaining about.

and before i hear from a zillion trolls about doing research before i buy, let me say, that is not the question. And also i did some research--the representation is pretty disingenuous--when anywhere you look, they will say of course we can "connect" our laptops to Sonos speakers... via an easy to use Sonos app. But its not a solution if we need to buy additional speakers to watch a GD Netflix movie.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Insulting people and throwing around inappropriate language isn't acceptable here in any form, from anyone. As moderators, we will remove any posts with that content. What’s offensive from even your first comments is referring to people as trolls, just like calling people stupid or anything else of the sort. Online, troll is a derogatory term used to say a lot of hurtful things. It’s not acceptable.

I understand where you're coming from, and the frustration that Sonos doesn’t do something you think it should. As already said, a major part is because the technology isn't there yet to provide the quality Sonos stands for with all the possible variables we have to expect.

We tackle a lot of complicated problems all the time, and one big thing about Sonos is that the product you buy keeps getting better. If one day we're able to get this working right, it'll likely be added to all Sonos devices. I only say likely because I can't see the future.

I'm going to lock this thread for now since it's well past where it should have gone and it looks like you've gotten the answer you're looking for too. If you have any questions, concerns, or just want to talk you're welcome to PM me or anyone else on our team.
Userlevel 2
Badge
joshs- it seems you did not see my post above. This issue doesn't seem to be related to Apple at all - because Sonos is not able to stream any sounds from any brand of laptop / PC wirelessly. So it has nothing to do with Apple. You can only do this functionality via cable, as I also mentioned in my first post.
It appears to be a conscious decision at Sonos for the reason of perfect synchronization without lag - which is only possible with a wired connection.

Thanks. I missed that the first time around. Appreciated.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Dude! The reason your posts were deleted were because you were being offensive, unreasonable and making personal attacks.

Don't even try to play the victim in this. You are the bully here!

I certainly wasn't unreasonable. personal attacks? if the posts were still up, maybe you could point them out. offensive? is it offensive to reply to the Sonos troll squad by saying, "This post is not a cue for trolls about "research". offer an actual answer or STFU"? doesn't seem like offensive to me.

And AGAIN, my question before the endless trolling and nincompoopery at Sonos troll headquarters was a simple curiosity about which company's agenda is the roadblock. If you know something, great. if not, then the adults are talking, sweetie. And pretty please with sugar on top HIRPLE BACK UNDER YOUR BRIDGE, play with your app and toys, and leave us alone.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
joshs- it seems you did not see my post above. This issue doesn't seem to be related to Apple at all - because Sonos is not able to stream any sounds from any brand of laptop / PC wirelessly. So it has nothing to do with Apple. You can only do this functionality via cable, as I also mentioned in my first post.
It appears to be a conscious decision at Sonos for the reason of perfect synchronization without lag - which is only possible with a wired connection.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ah, so you're actually going to do your research on Bose (it blows, BTW), but refused to so the same on Sonos. Hmmm.

So, the simple solution is a Chromecast into a TV, optical out to the Playbar / Playbase. You can cast videos or anything from your PC to the CC, then route the sound throughout the house via SonosNet to any Sonos speaker. With Bose, the only solution appears to be via Bluetooth, which isn't a real solution at all.

THANKS! All it took was 5 posts and you finally coupled some useful information with your insults. The "chicks" are alright!
Userlevel 2
Badge
The design philosophy behind Sonos speakers is, for lack of a better term, "opinionated". .... Demanding that Sonos abandon the philosophy that has been very successful for them and serves as a key differentiator in a very crowded market probably isn't going to get you what you're looking for.

As the only member of the Sonos "community" that even attempted to answer the question: thank you for your response.

I think it mischaracterizes my question to say that i am 'demanding Sonos' do anything, but I hear what you're saying and I agree that taking to the company (and certainly not the "community") is not going to get me the multi-purpose speaker that I am looking for. My question was a simple curiosity about which company's agenda is the roadblock. I would've guessed (and did in my post) that it was Apple as they're a much more authoritarian user interface, but maybe it is Sonos--still unclear to me.
Ah, so you're actually going to do your research on Bose (it blows, BTW), but refused to so the same on Sonos. Hmmm.

So, the simple solution is a Chromecast into a TV, optical out to the Playbar / Playbase. You can cast videos or anything from your PC to the CC, then route the sound throughout the house via SonosNet to any Sonos speaker. With Bose, the only solution appears to be via Bluetooth, which isn't a real solution at all.

Really, though, involving a PC in music play is so 1990s. Sonos' way is far better, as any Sonos owner knows.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I dunno, man. I can't see myself ever buying a set of $400 speakers just so I can watch movies on my laptop. If I did however, I would research them, and if they didn't work/sound as I expected, they would definitely be returned.

It seems completely reasonable to me. In my household, there are 2 laptops and no tv. I think the playbar would solve the multi-purpose problem (not sure) and I've heard the playbar at a friend's place and the quality is nice but mounting a playbar on a wall w/o a tv seems a bit overkill. and what we're looking for is a speaker that can play music in the living room as well as, ya know, be a speaker (and not a proprietary doorstop) when we're watching something online. It seems a relatively simple ask and i'm sure i'll figure it out. I've been directed to Bose, haven't read up on it yet.
Dude! The reason your posts were deleted were because you were being offensive, unreasonable and making personal attacks.

Maybe he was bumped off his flight, lol.
I dunno, man. I can't see myself ever buying a set of $400 speakers just so I can watch movies on my laptop. If I did however, I would research them, and if they didn't work/sound as I expected, they would definitely be returned.
The design philosophy behind Sonos speakers is, for lack of a better term, "opinionated". They are built around the idea that wireless speakers should be first-class citizens, rather than just appendages to computers or other audio sources. Pursuing this design philosophy has lead to a very different set of tradeoffs than most other wireless speakers. They have capabilities that other systems don't have, but they also have limitations that other systems don't. Either you find this set of tradeoffs acceptable or you do not. Demanding that Sonos abandon the philosophy that has been very successful for them and serves as a key differentiator in a very crowded market probably isn't going to get you what you're looking for.
Lol. And if you spent half the time you have on writing long posts here on better before purchase research, the posts would not have been needed. Or their deletion in some instances.

Don't even try to play the victim in this. You are the bully here!
Userlevel 2
Badge
The “community” here is even more frustrating that the speakers. So far, after asking a question about the reason a product can't deliver, the angle of every single responder was to blame the customer. This thread is a prime example of the Sonos community as full of the type of people who show up on a help forum and tell the questioner to “Read The F***ing Manual”.

The most active folks on this forum appear to need commenters to salivate all over Sonos, so first, allow me to indulge: the Sonos 1 has fantastic sound and the return policy was very friendly. That said, those two things are nothing to do with my original question and and by now, quite annoyed experience with Sonos. It also appears to me that the people on this thread have locked themselves deep in a sanctimonious bunker, but allow me to try reach you with a logic bomb or at least relay my experience through an analogy.

SONOS (in carny voice): Hurry, hurry!! Step right up! Let me tell you about the latest, greatest ear-ticklin' twist since the invention of the radio. Check out our new Sonos radio (analogy)

Customer: Great! I need a new radio. And I can hook this up to my laptop?

Sonos: Son, you can hook it up to your laptop, your desktop, your phone, why probably even a dirty ol' shoe! And there's an app!

Customer: GREAT!

Sonos: Cha-Ching!!

Hour later on the phone with Sonos Support:

Customer: Wait, so you sold me a new bleeding edge radio, but that doesn't play AM and only half the FM stations? And you want me to pay $800 more to buy the thing that will connect my laptop? But..

Sonos Support: But it sounds great! And in any room of your house! Comes with "an app"! When's the last time a radio did that?!

Customer: But why?

Sonos Support: We're multi-room! Multi-controller!

Customer turns to the internet: Anyone know what the deal is? Is it licensing? Corporate greed? Who's fault is it that I now need 2 radios to listen to the radio?

Sonos Forum Goon Squad (to Customer): It's YOUR fault! You're an idiot!** (**actual quotes from actual community)

Customer (to Sonos Forum): Anyone beside the brown-nosed sycophantic bullies have any idea? and if you trolls can't couple your insults with an answer, please go back under your bridge.

Sonos Support moderator: I'm just going to delete the posts that aren't blaming the customer.

Customer: This whole experience sucks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
This thread went way outside the rules on the community and I've deleted some of the posts. Some were left that are in breach, but not as bad. Please keep the profanity, personal attacks, and name-calling off of the community. This isn't the place for it and repeated breach of conduct will result in a ban from the community.

@joshs, we don't place blame in any direction as it isn't constructive. We know there are many people looking for this functionality and I'll add your name to the request. Sonos isn't a Bluetooth speaker, and the audio that we play aren't sent from the device you use to control Sonos. That means you could start playing using your computer, and if you turned off the computer, as long as the music isn't stored on the computer it'll keep on playing. It's a whole home wireless speaker system. Multi-room. Multi-controller. There's functionality, quality, and stability reasons that we don't use these direct streaming protocols currently.
By the way, the "18th century" is 1700-1799 (or 1701-1800, depending on your view). Not many speakers manufactured in that era. 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
The simple answer you appear unwilling to accept on blame, its you, you are ultimately at fault
For not doing enough research before buying
For not matching Sonos limitation (and there are loads of them) to your use case before buying
For not testing in store and asking a lot of questions before buying
For not making use of the generous return policy to test and ensure your use case was catered for

Setting aside the rather unpleasant tone your post has, I don't think it has anything to do with an issue in between two companies (I presume you are looking at Apple and Sonos) as the same function you are looking at isn't possible with any other laptop / PC from any other manufacturer.
Whether you like it or not, proper research is your responsibility. Also, it is not up to you to police what people post, there is a TOS for that, which only your posts have violated so far. This is not a safe space for you to spout your opinions and/or abuse other users without having to answer for it. So knock off the profanity and abuse, be an adult, and engage in civil conversation, which includes answering for your own responsibilities as a consumer. Otherwise, nobody will take your childishness seriously, and your stay here at the Sonos forums will be quite brief.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Reading your original question I see that you already know the simple answer to your question.

The long winded version is that it's no ones fault, not Apple, nor Sonos,
Each Sonos component, irrespective of one's opinion of how good (or bad) they are, fulfil a limited set of uses, and it is ultimately down to the owner to identify their own use cases, matching each to the available Sonos component before buying.

For the use case you have described "watch a GD Netflix movie" on a MacBook, while this is not one of the core uses Sonos was designed for, there are really only 3 components, play 5, Connect and connect amp, (maybe even a playbar) you can use, each with a different set of limitations and possible additional costs, which is another subject altogether.

Back to my original comment. The simple answer you appear unwilling to accept on blame, its you, you are ultimately at fault
For not doing enough research before buying
For not matching Sonos limitation (and there are loads of them) to your use case before buying
For not testing in store and asking a lot of questions before buying
For not making use of the generous return policy to test and ensure your use case was catered for

I researched, tested in store and asked loads of question of multiple people and deemed Sonos did not cater for all my use cases and got something else.
Later got Sonos for music streaming which, to be fair, is the only use case it excels at

Seriously, who drops $400 on "high end wifi speakers" without making sure it does exactly what you want it to do?
Although not an engineer, I think that to do all else that Sonos does very well, it has been architected to pull music from a computer in structured ways, and not to accept a push from it in the way the OP wants it to accept.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
I don't know the answer to your question with certainty, but it is clearly noticeable that Sonos only allows music sources that may need to be in sync with video / visual material via cable. Sonos has a "built-in" delay whenever streaming regular music, which enables it to play many rooms wirelessly in perfect synchronization. PlayBar / Base and Play 5 always require a cable connection for anything that might allow you to use it while watching anything.
I think Sonos just wants to minimize potential complaints about lack of synchronization with video.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sell it and buy the other multi-room streaming music system which does what you want with the same quality and reliability as Sonos.

Good luck finding one. Otherwise, keep shouting into the wind. ;)

good god. are you hired by Sonos to write this tripe?! I didn't solicit any Sonos praise masquerading as "advice" on what to do with the speakers. Put up an actual answer relative to the question.
Sell it and buy the other multi-room streaming music system which does what you want with the same quality and reliability as Sonos.

Good luck finding one. Otherwise, keep shouting into the wind. 😉