Which streaming service has the best implementation on Sonos?

I know this is always going to be a personal preference, but does anyone have any advice or pros / cons of different services?

I was going to sign up for Spotify Premium just for the Sonos access, but have seen a lot of threads complaining about the lack of functionality in the Sonos implementation of the Spotify app, particularly the lock of Spotify Radio support.

What about Rdio, Deezer and others? I am based in Sweden so Last.fm and US only services are currently out of reach :-(

I could just sign up for each one for a month and test drive them but I'd love to hear the thoughts and recommendations of the Sonos community!!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

I've used Slacker, Spotify and Mog and I think Slacker is the best product for Sonos because Slacker's radio buttons work for Sonos. Spotify and Mog require playlists.

Update: I love Google Play's functionality, including radio buttons.
Out of Rdio, Deezer and Spotify I find that Spotify has the worse integration with Sonos and I make that comment from personally using all three services over the past few months.

Between Rdio & Deezer its close but I do prefer Rdio.
On the other hand, if quality is what one's after then Spotify is the tops with Ogg Vorbis q9 (~320kbps).

I haven't tried Deezer for quite a while but at the time ran into inconsistent bitrate delivery and limits on playlist sizes.

I confess I never tried Rdio since I couldn't locate a definitive statement about bitrate.
Userlevel 2
I personally find the way Spotify handles one owns favorites very cumbersome.

As all services have free trials, why don' give them a shot?

Personally my favorites are Napster/Rhapsody and WiMP over Spotify, because I find their menus much more intuitive.
One other factor is the availability of services in your location. Up here in the great white north don't get as many options as the US.... so that can limit the field of "what's best"....

So far, I've been finding the services we are using (some of them just the free one) have been not too bad. Mostly leveraging rdio, and slacker (free version).....
Userlevel 2
My Sonos came with a free 6 month trial of Napster/Rhapsody and I have to say that it's pretty good. It has 'channels' which I guess are similar to spotify radio so possibly wins out there.
One thing that could be improved is the search- it is pretty basic but I think it is probably a limitation of the Sonos implementation. For example, you can't sort to find the latest album/track, nor search on more than one criteria such as artist and track to narrow down the search results. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it.
Is the search on other services as limited?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Spotify is my favorite right now, but they definitely need some improvements. I stick with them though because their streams are very high quality and they have the best selection with what I listen to.

I really, really hope the new Collection feature is going to be coming to Sonos as well, because that is one of the huge advantages of Rdio, but the sound quality there is really lacking.
Just wanted to bump this thread and state that after being with Spotify for over a year, I too found the lack of Sonos integration frustrating and devaluing in terms of my $10/mo. as I primarily listen to Spotify at home via Sonos. So that prompted me to start looking and am currently very satisfied with Google Play Music. From what I can tell so far, they have full integration with Sonos, including the "I'm feeling lucky..." radio. Well, actually, the only limitation I've seen is that I can't add a track, say from radio, to a specific GPM playlist. I can live with that cause I can still add it to My Library. As an Apple fanboy, I'm quite surprised at how much I like GPM.
Just wanted to bump this thread and state that after being with Spotify for over a year, I too found the lack of Sonos integration frustrating and devaluing in terms of my $10/mo. as I primarily listen to Spotify at home via Sonos
As it happens, Spotify on Sonos just received an upgrade in terms of functionality, currently available in public beta on Android.

http://blog.sonos.com/news/spotify-on-sonos-update/
"Just wanted to bump this thread and state that after being with Spotify for over a year, I too found the lack of Sonos integration frustrating and devaluing in terms of my $10/mo. as I primarily listen to Spotify at home via Sonos. So that prompted me to start looking and am currently very satisfied with Google Play Music. From what I can tell so far, they have full integration with Sonos, including the "I'm feeling lucky..." radio. Well, actually, the only limitation I've seen is that I can't add a track, say from radio, to a specific GPM playlist. I can live with that cause I can still add it to My Library. As an Apple fanboy, I'm quite surprised at how much I like GPM."

I hate to tell you this but GPM just updated their app and also their Sonos connection. "I'm feeling lucky" is gone. As is choosing albums by genre (including New Releases, which I loved). The only way now to use genres is by using their Radio feature. They've totally ruined it for us so it's probably back to Spotify soon. Sigh.

Steve
"Just wanted to bump this thread and state that after being with Spotify for over a year, I too found the lack of Sonos integration frustrating and devaluing in terms of my $10/mo. as I primarily listen to Spotify at home via Sonos. So that prompted me to start looking and am currently very satisfied with Google Play Music. From what I can tell so far, they have full integration with Sonos, including the "I'm feeling lucky..." radio. Well, actually, the only limitation I've seen is that I can't add a track, say from radio, to a specific GPM playlist. I can live with that cause I can still add it to My Library. As an Apple fanboy, I'm quite surprised at how much I like GPM."

I hate to tell you this but GPM just updated their app and also their Sonos connection. "I'm feeling lucky" is gone. As is choosing albums by genre (including New Releases, which I loved). The only way now to use genres is by using their Radio feature. They've totally ruined it for us so it's probably back to Spotify soon. Sigh.

Steve

Where are you located? I'm in Canada and the features you mentioned are still there! That could be a deal breaker for me too!
I'm in the US. Everywhere I access, it's changed. Apps, Web, etc..

Here is a link to Google's Product forum where it's being discussed. A lot of unhappy people.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!msg/play/i9meVyGV2so/Y-ztjAptAU0J

Steve
Userlevel 2
I tried Spotify for about four years, the impossibly difficult to navigate Apple Music since yesterday (free trial).

I'm sticking with GPM which has got a lot better since my two month trial which started in Dec '14 (although the recent changes to the app need sorting out)

I really like the radio, all artists have a radio station that plays similar artists, and 'I'm feeling lucky radio' is great(still on Sonos and I'm sure will return soon to app)

They dont have Peter Gabriel main albums, ACDC, Taylor Swift and of course The Beatles (which non of the Companies have.)

cheers

Nige

Ps

I bourght into the hype and got Taylor Swift 1989 album, with a free credit, and asked for a refund! which google gave me. Funny e-mail from GPM-
'Hello,

Thank you for contacting Google. My name is *****, and I'm happy to help! I understand you no longer want your music album purchase, 1989.

*We understand your concern*, and in this case, we can provide you a refund for this order. I've processed a refund for the music album 1989, and you will be receiving a refund total of 8.49 GBP. '

So I'm more than happy with GPM.
Badge
Worth to pay a visit to this old thread once again since Spotify recently partnered with Sonos. I was looking for some other streaming services after been with Sonos for 2 years, then I saw Spotify now works with Sonos, I switched immediately.

Deezer integration:
+1 The Deezer favorite button works well in Sonos
+1 The Deezer personal recommendation playlist works well in Sonos
-1 The Deezer dislike button doesn't work, e.g. Deezer keeps recommending the songs even I have disliked them multiple times.
-1 Can't control Sonos from Deezer app

Spotify integration:
+1 Can control Sonos from Spotify app, though I can't control the volume of Sonos speakers
+1 Even though I can't remote control Sonos using Sonos app, but I can do it with Spotify app
-1 Spotify playlist function is not well integrated into Sonos, the Spotify playlist works better from Spotify app
-1 Sonos doesn't support Spotify + button