Answered

Which portable FLAC player -> wireless to Sonos?

• 27 February 2022
  • 7 replies

I currently use airplay on iPhoneX to send FLAC files with FlacBox to Sonos. The iPhone storage of 256GB is getting small, so thinking of going with portable music player such as Astell&Kern, but those players don’t seem to have airplay.

I am looking for portable player with >=1TB storage, can create FLAC playlists, has decent built in DAC (better than DragonFly cobalt), and can play playlist wirelessly to Sonos (airplay? Any other option?). Any recommendations?

I could go with iPhone13, but prefer getting rid of the dongle DAC for headphone listening.

icon

Best answer by jgatie 3 March 2022, 16:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Why do you need a built-in DAC?

Prefer not having to use a lightning to usb dongle to usb-dac to headphone contraption. iPhone Dac is very poor quality. But also need ability to stream wirelessly to Sonos. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

The DAC in that Apple dongle is actually pretty good, unless you have electrically demanding headphones. Even then, an analog headphone amp coupled with the Apple dongle is probably a better bet than most DACs.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/lightning-adapter-audio-quality.htm

@pwt: that item is NOT a DAC, but simply a lightning to headphone jack converter. It still uses the iPhone DAC. I hear major differences between iPhone DAC and the Dragonfly Cobalt, and that is not even the greatest dongle DAC. I use Etymotics ER4 earbuds (not the best either), stationary Dan Clark Ether 2 (quite a bit better). 
The main question of my ideal mobile player with both decent built in DAC AND wireless playing ability to Sonos is still open. Anything? Or is it either/or? Thanks!

There are no dedicated mobile players that can stream wirelessly to Sonos.  Android and iOS phones/tablets only.

Thanks jgatie. iPhone 13 pro it is warts and all

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@pwt: that item is NOT a DAC, but simply a lightning to headphone jack converter. It still uses the iPhone DAC. I hear major differences between iPhone DAC and the Dragonfly Cobalt, and that is not even the greatest dongle DAC. I use Etymotics ER4 earbuds (not the best either), stationary Dan Clark Ether 2 (quite a bit better). 

No, the Apple Lightning to headphone dongle absolutely does have a DAC in it.