Which NAS solution?

Show first post

33 replies

YEPEEEEEEE
without answers from support, I went to the US website and tried to update the firmware to 1.12

IT'S BACK AND ALIVE !!!!
I have my shares and my 5622 pictures (8.3 Gb)...

I'll probably go tomorow and buy a second NAS to backup this one ;-)
security gets expensive...

Cheers
Olivier
Userlevel 2
mariole wrote:

YEPEEEEEEE
without answers from support, I went to the US website and tried to update the firmware to 1.12

IT'S BACK AND ALIVE !!!!
I have my shares and my 5622 pictures (8.3 Gb)...

I'll probably go tomorow and buy a second NAS to backup this one ;-)
security gets expensive...

Cheers
Olivier

May I suggest purchasing a DVD+R DL burner (8.4GB) to backup your NAS. I bought a Plextor model and have backed up everything on my NAS (music, photos, files, etc.) on to about 14 DL DVDs. I may even move them to a safe deposit box at the bank for safe keeping.
Hope this does not get the thread too far from it's subject but data security becomes a real matter with the volume of data that we reach today...

Dlipetz,
I'll take a look at this solution, but I have to check the cost of the DVD burner, the DVDs, and the time of burning 10+ DVDs every week or so...
I'll be Ok to pay a little more in hardware and less in time involved if I find a automated way of backuping things.

I guess with this volume of data we are coming to real backup problems with some known solutions: find a convenient backup storage support (DVD, hard drive, DLT...), a good software, and setup a backup policy that suits your needs and budget.

basic exemple: full backup on a firewire or network drive once a month, and incremental backup every monday to reflect changes (added music or pictures).

This leads to the need of a good backup software capable of network incremental backups.

Any advice for a backup expert is welcome. I've done this for Microsoft 8 years ago now, but I'm no more aware of the current backup softwares (and I don't have the personal budget matching MSFT's backup budget then ;-))

thxs
Olivier
Userlevel 2
mariole wrote:

Dlipetz,
I'll take a look at this solution, but I have to check the cost of the DVD burner, the DVDs, and the time of burning 10+ DVDs every week or so...
I'll be Ok to pay a little more in hardware and less in time involved if I find a automated way of backuping things.Olivier

The Plextor PX-716A DVD+R DL cost me ~$199. DVD+R DL media can be had for about ~$15/box of 3.

I backed up everything on the NAS using the DVD+R DL media, then use the cheaper DVD+R media for incrementals.

My incremental backup solution is not automated unfortunately. I just keep a list of new music I rip and periodically add them to a Roxio project list. When I have enough to burn a DVD, I go ahead and do that.

I too would like better software that will automatically make incremental backups rather than having to keep a manual list. Ideas?
I formerly used a Buffalo Linkstation and have moved to a ReadyNAS 600. Another post mentioned the X6 model. The 600 is more configurable. I have 4X250 drives with one being a hot spare, giving roughly 500Gb of space with RAID 5 redundancy and the hot spare.

This drive is more expensive than the Buffalo Terrastation (I paid $1,095 including shipping from Eaegis), but it has a lot more options including backup and email alerts to up to 3 addresses. It's a classy piece of gear. There's a review on Tom's Hardware which includes a Terrastation comparison http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-217-ProdID-H2H5.php The review claims there is a huge speed differential between the two devices (the ReadyNAS includes Gigabit Ethernet).

It includes two USB ports which can be used to attach external drives or printers. The included backup software can see these drives and be scheduled to make a backup without a computer ever being on.

It's compact, fast, quiet, and configured as I have mine, as redundant as a device gets.

I have no interest in this company, but after 40 years in IT, I know a good product after using one. Another thing I know after all those years is that if backup isn't easy, it won't get done.
Userlevel 2
The terastation has Gigabit ethernet and 4 USB ports for adding more drives or a printer. It also has email alerts and allows you to set up regular backups.

It is pretty slow when not transferring at gigabit speeds. I'm not sure how much faster it gets if over gigabit because I don't have the equipment, but I'm assuming it's a nice jump in speed.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Under Windows environment, you can access NAS in many different ways.

1) as area network drive (under My Network Places)
2) FTP (enable FTP under Infrant setup)
3) Web browser (you can even access it remotely)

You can move files by simply drag and drop between windows, copy and paste, or upload as ftp.

If you spend time asking for info on Sonos forums, you will be happy to know there is great Infrant forum for NAS.

Few things I like about this NAS are

1) Upnp AV support (so you dont have to leave computer on)

2) jumbo frame support (if you have jumbo frame capable gigabit switch and UPS attached, NAS can be almost fast as firewire attached external HD). I hope this will be helpful once I figure out how to record HD from HD Cable.

3) RAID

Hope this helps.
Userlevel 2
Hi,

I'm just looking into an NAS solution but have some simple questions on using NAS.

Once I have the NAS device installed, music copied over and the Sonos software redirected to the drive, can my ZP access the drive when my PC if off?

Can I connect the NAS device directly to a ZP or does it need to be connected to my router??

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings