Answered

Where to look for UPnP and Media servers?

• 11 March 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

In order to get around the need to set up SMB1 on my media server (I’d prefer not to rely on this because of the probability that my server will stop supporting it) I’m trying to set up a DLNA server instead, which should (I think) broadcast the availability of the media via UPnP.

The problem I have is that I have configured the DLNA server (Rygel, running under linux) but I don’t know where the services are supposed to appear within the Sonos (Android-based) app! I have, under System, Media Servers, ticked both Show Media Servers and Show UPnP Servers, but where are they supposed to appear? Having never used that part of the app before, I don’t know what to look for.

icon

Best answer by Belly M 11 March 2021, 21:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Badge +20

If any compatible media or UPnP servers are found they just appear in the browse music section of the Sonos app.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Ah, thanks. There’s a Rygel process running on the server, but nothing extra in the Browse section of the app.

It probably needs some weird, unguessable options to be selected in the rygel.conf file.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If any compatible media or UPnP servers are found they just appear in the browse music section of the Sonos app.

Not quite, you have to enable UPnP on the client. On iOS its Settings / System / Media Servers.

Badge +20

In fact I was replying to the OP who had already enabled the settings, hence felt no need to tell him yet again to enable them, he asked where the media server / UPnP would appear in the App and made no mention of iOS.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Not quite, you have to enable UPnP on the client. On iOS its Settings / System / Media Servers.

Thanks controlav, but as Belly says, I know where to enable them (it’s the same place in the Android app). It was just the problem of not knowing what they would look like when the controller found them.

Sadly, my problem is almost certainly at the Server end, so the UPnP notifications are not even getting onto the network for the controller to see!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

In fact I was replying to the OP who had already enabled the settings, hence felt no need to tell him yet again to enable them, he asked where the media server / UPnP would appear in the App and made no mention of iOS.

My bad I missed that detail.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Well… I’ve checked the config of my DLNA server (Rygel, based on Linux) and if I open Windows Media player on my laptop, I can see the media server and play audio files from it but… the media server is not visible to the Android-based Sonos S2 app!

It simply does not appear in the Browse section, nor anywhere else. Note that I have turned on the settings for Media Servers and UPnP.

Does anyone have any further suggestions for settings to check, that might explain why it’s not working?

I should add that I’m not looking to do anything sophisticated - I just want to my Sonos gear to play from the DLNA server. I can do the management of the server content via NFS without any issues.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Well… I’ve checked the config of my DLNA server (Rygel, based on Linux) and if I open Windows Media player on my laptop, I can see the media server and play audio files from it but… the media server is not visible to the Android-based Sonos S2 app!

It simply does not appear in the Browse section, nor anywhere else. Note that I have turned on the settings for Media Servers and UPnP.

Does anyone have any further suggestions for settings to check, that might explain why it’s not working?

I should add that I’m not looking to do anything sophisticated - I just want to my Sonos gear to play from the DLNA server. I can do the management of the server content via NFS without any issues.

I suspect that this option is broken.  I've tried a variety of servers and nothing ever shows. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I just configured Windows Media Player to  be a UPnP server and Sonos found it just fine and played tracks without issue.