Question

When will Sonos provide full support for AirPlay?

Userlevel 1
What are your plans to introduce full (not using Airport Express) Airplay support on your speakers? I want to use Airplay directly to play audio on a Sonos system that has been recorded using eyeTV. Buying an Airport Express for each speaker is unacceptable to me. Thanks, Ben

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

303 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I believe you misunderstand the Airport Express Support Solution. You only need to purchase one Airport Express Module. Hook it to a Play:5, Connect, or Connect:Amp and it will then be integrated into the Sonos system. From any speaker then, not just the one the airport express is hooked to, you can select Airplay and play through any speaker you want. To me that is full support for Airplay for the entire sonos system by adding just the single module.
Userlevel 1
I agree. While the airport solution will work for now, it should not be a long-term solution for Sonos. Sonos needs to add airplay support to the bridge. That sure seems like a very simple and cheap solution. Sonos should have some idea of the number of iOS devices that are used today control Sonos (we all know it's a huge number). I want airplay support so I can dump Pandora and only use iTunes Radio.
I am torn between the Bose and Sonos now that I found out I have to buy an AirPort Express to support AirPlay. Is there a technical reason Sonos cannot handle this in their software.
Userlevel 2
I am torn between the Bose and Sonos now that I found out I have to buy an AirPort Express to support AirPlay. Is there a technical reason Sonos cannot handle this in their software.
Sonos have chosen not to. People here erroneously claim airplay requires an on board chip. There may be other technical issues though. I see this as similar to the DTS playbar omission: licencing fees cutting their bottom line.
Userlevel 1
Yes, Sonos should definitely add native AirPlay capability to their audio system. If there is a significant added cost or licensing fee, then I would be willing to pay more for a speaker that is AirPlay enabled. Cost aside, the current solution requires an extra gadget, uses an extra power source, and is plain inelegant. The wise thing for Sonos to do would be to listen to the constituency that wants AirPlay (who aren't necessarily all vocal). Otherwise it risks losing new users to Bose, which provides native AirPlay on its new SoundLink speakers. I for one am waiting for Sonos to add AirPlay before I consider buying a system. AirPlay capability would tilt me in favour of Sonos instead of Bose.
I believe you misunderstand the Airport Express Support Solution. You only need to purchase one Airport Express Module. Hook it to a Play:5, Connect, or Connect:Amp and it will then be integrated into the Sonos system. From any speaker then, not just the one the airport express is hooked to, you can select Airplay and play through any speaker you want. To me that is full support for Airplay for the entire sonos system by adding just the single module.
When you want to play a movie via airplay the sound will not be in sync..... that is why we need native Airplay support on SONOS
I'd also like to see AirPlay added so i can use iTunes easily for each room as it's so much easier, clearer and modern than the Sonos app for finding and playing music. The speakers and system is great.... the software isn't!
Another vote for AirPlay.
It will not be long before BOSE has introduced additional services and speakers to its line up, its speakers look and sound very good. It is also interesting that SONOS have not commented directly on this question even after 3 months since the first post. AirPlay is the only factor which is stopping me from purchasing a full range of SONOS kit. Spending £79 on the Airport Express is an option but it should be integrated. Can SONOS confirm whether they will respond to the competition with AirPlay enablement.
my problem is that I not have the PLAY:5 nor the CONNECT … I use 4 PLAY:1 and 2 PLAYBAR on 2 TV's plus 3 PLAY:3 in different rooms (which will be replaced all with 6 PLAY:1 to have real Stereo Sound also in the rooms … 

Real native support of AirPlay is highly recommended!!!
true the SONOS app … never seen a more "complex" and NONinuitive app on iOS … 
i miss a very basic feature on groups … 

Balance between left and right  on Stereo sets
Balance for the left and right surround speakers

and a little more then BASS/TREBLE in EQ settings … 
agree!!!
Yeah... please give us native support!
I have to agree that this is pathetic. I own a few Sonos components and for years extolled their virtues to anyone who would listen (along with Synology DSs). When Apple introduced AirPlay I begrudgingly bought an AE to make it work, thinking it would be a temporary solution and that Sonos would soon fix this with a firmware update. But firmware updates have been less and less frequent the past few years and almost never seem to happen anymore. It's like Sonos have stopped trying to improve their devices. And the usability of the iOS apps, if anything, has gone done. I've stopped recommending Sonos to friends, and when my daughter asked me for one this Christmas, I bought her a Pioneer A1 instead. It's way cheaper, sounds great, doesn't need any additional components to add it to a WLAN or LAN, and - most importantly - supports AirPlay and DLNA natively. Sonos need to wait up and get their act together. They used to be far ahead of the field, but they are starting to seem clunky and behind the times.
+1 for Airplay
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
At Neighbors house Christmas Eve.  Professionally installed Airplay system skipped every few minutes.  They asked what to do and I told them I would put a Sonos Connect in between their whole home amplifier and the Airplay.  It will solve their skipping problem and they will still have airplay if they ever want it.

Fact:  Airplay in large home does not work well.
I have no issues with AirPlay. You just need a decent wireless router like an Asus.
+1 for native airplay!
I would also like to see Airplay support in the Sonos lineup.

The current Sonos Airplay 'solution' is too costly in my opinion - at least if you need multi-room Airplay.

To do multiroom Airplay it requires you to buy an Apple Airport Express AND a Sonos Connect (or Play:5) for each Sonos speaker setup that you wish to be able to control independently with Airplay.

I have 3 kids that have Play:1's in their rooms - they also have laptops and iOS devices. The setup is great for listening to our in-house music library, but not that great for using the Play:1 with the different streaming services that exist.
Yes many of the services are supported in the Sonos App, so it is possible to use them, but compared to e.g. the native Spotify user experience the Sonos client for Spotify is quite cumbersome.

Using the Sonos App to control audio playback of our in house music library is also old school - I can live with it, but the kids find it arcane though.
The native Spotify iOS app with AirPlay is a much better user experience. So if the Play:1s could do Airplay natively the kids would be happy.

Recently we replaced the living room receiver with a Denon X2000 that among other things support AirPlay.

Now, instead of using the Play:1's in their room, the kids go to the living room to listen to their music on their Spotify playlist because the Airplay user experience is much more elegant than being limited to using the Sonos App for Spotify.
To be fair, the Denon receiver also have Spotify support, and the user experience of the Denon Spotify client is even worse than the Sonos App Spotify integration. So this is not a suggestion to improve the Spotify integration in the app - I would much rather have AirPlay (and Bluetooth) support in the speakers so they can play from all my devices.

Since our Play:1's are being used less and less frequently, I'm currently considering dropping my beloved Sonos setup altogether and replacing the small Sonos speakers with e.g. a B&O Play, a Libratone Zipp, or similarly spec'ed/priced Airplay enabled speakers and then just having an old school speaker setup connected to the Airplay enabled receiver in the living room.

(And yes I own Sonos Connect, and Airport Express, and Bridge and speakers - so I have tried setting this up and have one Airplay-enabled Sonos room - but the price tag on the Connect is too steep for me to be willing to pay that for each room, simply for being able to do Airplay).

The first priority for me would be to have Airplay and bluetooth integrated directly in each speaker.

My second priority would be a new Airplay-Sonos device that would allow me to control my Sonos speakers in a single room.

My third priority would be a 'cheap' Sonos Connect so it would be cheaper setting up a Airplay-enabled Sonos system
I have just taken a Bose soundtouch 30 back to john Lewis 1 day after buying it.. The app was rubbish and if you want to listen to itunes it can only be done with the computers on.. Switch them of and your music has gone...I swapped the set up for the sonos set up and it's so much better and easy to use and would recommend to anyone. The airplay solution is simple enough should you want it.. In my opinion the bose set up has been rushed out and the app is very limited.
After many months of contemplation I finally purchased my first sonos play 1, with the intention of expanding my collection. Whilst I've been pleased with the build quality and performance of the speaker the lack of AIRPLAY functionality in my opinion is detrimental to the potential of this well built speaker. It has been a huge disappointment for me as an IOS user. Sonos, until you add AirPlay to your speakers, I am sorry you won't be getting anymore of my cash nor my service as a brand advocate.
Userlevel 1
Full integration of Airplay is a must. While I have multiple Airport expresses, I'd rather not drop $500 for a speaker/connect I don't need or want.  At the very least, add a 3.5mm port to the play 1 🙂
Userlevel 1
I just purchased a Play3 and Play1 and am now understanding how limited the Sonos App is compared to the native IOS apps when controlling the music/podcast  streaming.    It would help a bit if the SONOS app had skip forward and back 30 second buttons and also 1.5 / 2.0 speed playback for podcasts.

Also, Iphones and Ipads have zillions of Apps that play their own sound.   Hard to believe that I cant get any of this into the Sonos system

I feel like Airplay and Bluetooth integration into the speaker is needed or all the speaker lines.
Pls put some effort to enable airplay for sonos.. With my synology nas, i can play my music on any sonos device witthout having any airport express. But I can't find the speakers on my iphone using airplay.. It has nothing to do with a chip or something.. because I installed airplay on my windows to use my pc speaker as well..works perfect.. no chip what so ever.. Can't expand my sonos setup before knowing this issue will be resolved in the future and that you guys are working on it.. Thnxs in advance!
+1 for native airplay!